Depth Numbers

The depth marks were each 6" high and 6" apart, so you could eyeball the waterline to within an inch or so. The base of each number was the depth in feet. I believe that they were either carved in and painted (late 1700's and early 1800's) or cut from lead (pre copper plating days!), then of copper thereafter.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

That makes perfect sense and I have a follow up question.  So what about the horseshoe shape?  What does it signify and why that shape?  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

It's just a reinforcement to the connection at the stem and keel.  There's also another reinforcement, but not a horseshoe at the stern.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, druxey said:

The depth marks were each 6" high and 6" apart, so you could eyeball the waterline to within an inch or so.

On one hand, this could be used to calculate trim and help in moving things around to adjust same.  Also by using the fore and aft draft marks, one can consult a table to determine how much the ship and its contents weighs (load).  I don't know if that was done back then, but we did it in the 1970s.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

That's true. In 18th century naval documents one comes across 'Sailing qualities'. These were printed forms that were filled out by the captain. One question asked for the best sailing trim of the ship, and the response gave the draught of water both fore and aft. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I was led to believe the marks were called Plimsoll lines until your question led me to dig a little deeper.  I discovered the marks on the bow and stern are "load lines" that determine a vessel's trim.  Plimsoll lines (named after Samuell Plimsoll, 1824 - 98) came into being either in 1876 or 1884 and are located midship.  They indicate the maximum depth of the hull for an intended load/voyage depending on water density, as effected by salinity and seasonal changes.  Maby more than you wanted to know but I found it interesting.