Hi All,

The Lady Nelson did not even show rigging for the anchor, just the anchor tied up along the hull. I wish to rig the anchor true to scale and authenticity. I have not been able to find any formula or standard for what anchor line diameter was for various ships of the age. I did find out through reading that the Uss Constitution had anchor line that was 22" in diameter? 

Any knowledge of what an English Cutter's anchor line diameter may have been or the formula to get it?

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

As said in a post above, be aware that when they wrote diameter they meant circumference.

Why?

I have no idea.

They invented the language so I imagine diameter meant something different in that time frame.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I don't think so Alan,  circumference meant circumference, and line dimensions were  always given in inches circumference.

We model makers tend to work in mm diameter or fractions of inches diameter in relation to model line as that is  how it is supplied.

All we need to remember when using contemporary records is to divide the given circumference by 3.142  before doing the scale calculation.

B.E.

Edited by Blue Ensign

BE

Fine for tables that read "Circumference" in the heading but watch out for descriptions of calculations that read "Diameter" and the result seems about 3 times too large.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

FWIW, for the circumference of the cables of the bower, best bower and sheet anchors, Lees gives a ratio of 0.62 the diameter of the mainmast.   The kedge anchor was 0.060.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

20 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Hi Dave,

Have a look at Post 70 on page eight of my cutter Alert log.

It details how I worked out the anchor cable size for a cutter at 1:64 scale, and how the given formulas  compared to the kit given sizes and those given in  the Aots book  on Alert.

Hope this helps.

B.E.

Hi B.E.

THANK YOU for the reference. I used the beam of the LN, did all the math and came up with a scale rope of 1.325mm. Now I'm on the hunt to get something close to that. Loved studying your build of Alert for the past hour and a half. 👍 😀

Dave

Dave,

To reiterate what folks have said here, ropes and cable sizes were given in circumference.

However, the circumference of ropes and cables was calculated from the diameter of the mast. That tripped me up the first time around and I was calculating some enormous rope sizes!

25 minutes ago, Dr PR said:

Dave,

To reiterate what folks have said here, ropes and cable sizes were given in circumference.

However, the circumference of ropes and cables was calculated from the diameter of the mast. That tripped me up the first time around and I was calculating some enormous rope sizes!

Took me a few minutes to get the math straight, but once I was able to duplicate Blue Ensign’s math converting the circumference to diameter figured out a rope size based on the beam of the Lady Nelson. 👍

Dave

3 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Hi B.E.

THANK YOU for the reference. I used the beam of the LN, did all the math and came up with a scale rope of 1.325mm. Now I'm on the hunt to get something close to that. Loved studying your build of Alert for the past hour and a half. 👍 😀

Thank you Dave,

Syren do a 1.4mm and 1.6mm ø line, and I see that Ropes of scale do a cable laid line in 1.3. 1.45, and 1.6mm diameters.

I often find that the calculated line size doesn’t sit quite right with my eye on the model, so I always let my eye be the final arbiter, and I tweak the size to suit.

I usually buy a couple of sizes around the indicated size, and pick the one I like best.

B.E.

Hi B.E.

Thanks again. That’s exactly what I did. I’ve ordered from Syren a couple times, so I used Ropes of Scale this time, getting a couple sizes like you say. If I stick with this hobby, I’ll end up with copious amount of scale rope (like most of the veteran builders). 😁

Dave