Light for mill???

I have a Sherline mill and need a bit more light on my work piece as my 71 year old eyes could use the help.

Has anyone come up with some kind of clamp on, screw on, glue on or other kind of small light to mount on their mill or other shop equipment? 

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Hi Dave,

I found an LED Magnifier light at Walmart for $35 that works great for me.  It's called a RoHs 5X Magnifying LED Desk Lamp.  It clamps to the desk or bench.  But, I ended up drilling a hole in the holder and running a screw into the hobby desk.  I didn't trust it to stay put otherwise!  The only problem is, I can't find it on their website anymore.  Maybe something to do with the supply chain issues?  It is made in China!  Maybe you can find it elsewhere.  Here is a picture of it...

Ed

IMG_3690.thumb.JPG.c8d2e26acaaa9f479a8d330961c2fc1c.JPG

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"

I just have several  lamps (much like Ed's but without the magnifier scattered about the shop.   Office supply shops or just about any discount type department store has them.  As we get to a certain age, the more light the better.  I should add, I use the brightest LED bulbs I can find that fit the lamp.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I currently have a similar light on my work top but rarely if ever use the magnifier. Actually I need something much smaller and flexible for the mill. 

Currently researching magnetic LED lights with flexible goose neck. Sometimes called sewing machine lights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4ZKGF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I might even get 3 of these. I could then move them to different areas when needed (saw, mill, lathe) and also use them on the work bench for cross lighting. I would just use double stick tape for some large metal washers to mount them.

Here's the type I"m using with the unseen mill to the left and hobby saw to the right.  It has a bolt down (screws actually) mount and slips in and out of the mount.   I did see somewhere that there are mounts for sale by themselves so they could be moved from bench to bench. 

DSCF3459.thumb.JPG.0383a129da78b0d427e7486ed768d8f0.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Paid $17 for this light on Amazon.

001.JPG.8be05fe5a01dc824ec3f0db3a3d28c5d.JPG

It has a very strong magnetic base, but didnt come with a base plate. I picked up some 1.5 inch metal washers at the local Ace Hardware and glued one on on each side of the mill using Gorilla glue. This way I can switch sides or even purchase another light for cross lighting.

002.JPG.d2749a40368756d98c7d45d304068dca.JPG

Easy to reach on/off switch and plenty bright enough for my purpose.

003.JPG.4bd5b67a6d392906437bd65688cec05d.JPG

The 12 inch neck is perfect for a mill, saw, drill press, lathe etc.. But not long enough to use on the build table. A longer neck would be preferable for that.

004.JPG.844c7ec4cdb7a6f3c92951bedb95b5e0.JPG

Some years ago, I built myself a ring-light for my mill using what is called an 'angel's eye' from automotive supply (through ebay):

image.png.6ee69362da42fe7ebe7534b8bacf12ca.png

A detailed description can be found here: https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/tools/attachments/attachments.html#Ring-light

It attaches via a Nd-magnet, but I am not sure this would work with the Sherline mill, as its body is made from aluminium.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.5d77a62f599c3bb736cc1a706878df5b.jpeg

I found an LED ring light on Amazon.com that gives out an amazing amount of light for my MicroMark 

milling machine. This is shot with my iPhone with all other lights in the shop shut off, at night. I can't 

complain at all...

Eric Adams

Gladstone Oregon

Member, NRG. 

Member, Nautical Society of Oregon Model Shipwrights