New Bedford Whaleboat by sarge - Amati - 1/16th scale

"Welcome to the 21st Century..." That's what my son said when i told him of my intention to start a builder's log for my next project. Well here it is, and here we go !! Kicking and screaming and all that stuff....

This will hopefully be my build log for Amati's New Bedford Whaleboat. 1/16th scale with a few modifications ad changes of materials to make the finished product a little better that the standard kit.

But a word of warning before I start. It will not be quick and the updates may be a little spasmodic due my shift workings and my desire to concentrate on the building rather than the blog. But I will do my best to let you have equal shares of my time.

So, welcome, sit back, relax, and here we go. Feel free to add comment, critique, and general observations. I assure you all is welcome, good or bad. We are all here to learn, no man is born perfect, but with practice we can aspire...

I suppose I should start with the ubiquitous shot of the box and the contents.

post-149-0-33845800-1376048656_thumb.jpg 

First thoughts are all seems to be there and all the wood looks straight. But I will make a second check as the contents are unpacked and put away into the drawer system in the workshop. The second copy plans have been hung on the wall and the list of amendments that came with the instructions have all been modified and the parts renumbered accordingly. However I still do notice that the false keel / building jig, now comes in a single piece rather than the two depicted in the plans and instructions. What other faults might we find....other than its all in Italian. 

On the slip…

New Bedford Whaleboat - Amati

On Contract to Build…                            Launched…

HMS Echo Cross Section                          Caldercraft - HMS Diana

Caldercraft – HMCutter Sherbourne          Model Shipway – Charles W Morgan

Panart – Battle Station

Panart – Armed Launch

A/L – HMBark Endeavour

Hi Sarge,

Great to see another whaleboat log -I've pulled up a chair too! Your kit looks like it has a lot in common with Model Expo's New Bedford Whaleboat and I would highly reccomend that you get a copy of their "To Build a Whaleboat" book. It's not in Italian!! :D

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MSB106

Although I'm working on a little Artesania Latina whaleboat that is not as accurate, I have found the book very useful. It looks like your build will share a lot of the techniques that are clearly explained in the book.

Best of luck with your build!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Greetings Sarge!

I see a fresh new build, some popcorn (thanks Wayne) and some room to sit back and watch the show!

Can't ask for much more than that!!

Good luck on your Whaleboat, will be tagging along!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Oh boy, a whale boat.  I'm here too.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Pass the popcorn! I will be interested in a comparison to the MS Whaleboat. By the way who has the beer?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I love the New Bedford whale boat and have been trying to keep up with the various versions here.  I am also thinking that this will likely be my first 'serious' wood build (after I 'train' myself on a dinghy or something similarly simple).  I am looking very forward to seeing what you do with yours. 

Hmm ... we might need more popcorn ...

Kats aka Sailcat

'Obsessive' is just another way of saying 'Dedicated.

Completed Build Log:  Dame Tisane (1/96 Revell Cutty Sark re-imagined)  

Looks like I have some avid "Whaleboat" watchers on here. I will try not to disappoint. First the admin to answer some of the points above in no particular order.

Great Galleons ; no sadly the kit does not come with instructions for davits or boat cranes. This is an idea I had thought of myself as a way to display the finished model being as the keel will be on the thin side and not much room to get screws or nuts and bolts in, to secure to a plinth with pedestals in the traditional fashion. Sadly there is not even a stand supplied with the kit so one of the first tasks is to build one along with a cradle of sorts to fit onto my built table / jig. I do however have the old plans for my Modelshipway "Charles W Morgan" so may be able to put these to use to get something worked out. But below...

Buck - "Salty Sea Dog" ; thanks for the link to Model-expo. (which does work). I have tried to order both the book and the associated plans but to no avail. When ever I try to check out my order it states I am not selecting the correct postal method and no matter what I do I get the same response. I have emailed to company but have had no reply so far. Phoning from the UK is not an option as the listed number is a toll free USA number only.

Right popcorn at the ready part 2 below.

On the slip…

Panart – Battle Station

Panart – Armed Launch

A/L – HMBark Endeavour

Spent most of yesterday evening cutting out the false bulkheads and the false keel parts and tidying up the edges. The first dry fit went well and all is in order for gluing the assembly together. Also spent some of the time coping bulkheads 4 and 7 so that I can make a cradle to sit the part constructed boat into whilst I work out how I will display the model when finished. 

post-149-0-47089000-1376409323_thumb.jpg

Cutting out the False Bulkhead and Keel Parts - Proxxon Saw at the ready - (school boy error !!! watch is still on wrist... where is the Health and Safety Man when you need him)

post-149-0-18983900-1376409278_thumb.jpg

The False Keel and Bulkheads ready for assembly

Thanks for your enthusiasm keep watching.

Sarge

Edited by Sarge

On the slip…

Panart – Battle Station

Panart – Armed Launch

A/L – HMBark Endeavour

Sorry for the delay. Has I said at the start this was in part going to be slow due to my shift work schedule. But I now have 5 days off so with a little bit of luck will get some progress made. (subject to the Captain's Orders and having a break to watch the F1 race at SPA) Onwards...

Some days ago I dry fitted all the bulkheads to the Keel piece to make the False Core. All appears to be well. The joints are a little on the tight side, in fact a little too tight when the glue is applied. Progressing they were all glued in and were / are upright and square. I did notice at this time though that the bulkheads (number 2 and 9) at the stern and bow ends didn't sit flush with the ends of the keel piece, but thought no more at this time. 

post-149-0-02935100-1377169290_thumb.jpg

The ill-fitting Bow Bulkhead (2) - Stern has same fault.

After they were dry and the clamps removed the entire structure was offered up to the plans I then noticed that the entire thing was +/-  5 mm over length. This was undoubtedly caused by the design fault in the laser cut parts. Solution... out with the Isopropyl Alcohol and break open the joints. Re cut the joint some 2.5 mm back by hand as it was not possible to get the core into or under any machinery due to the other bulkheads and then reassemble.

post-149-0-74222700-1377169724_thumb.jpg

The remade Bow Bulkhead joint.

post-149-0-44789600-1377169899_thumb.jpg

Progress to-date - False Keel Core ready for assembly of Bow and Stern pieces then the internal planking can begin.

Edited by Sarge

On the slip…

Panart – Battle Station

Panart – Armed Launch

A/L – HMBark Endeavour

Progress report. Fixed the problems with the false keel and core.

Buck (Salty Sea Dog) Is there any other way of ensuring that everything is upright and true. I tried with clamping a couple of engineers squares to the pieces on other models but found the 3-2-1 blocks gave a better result and are worth every penny spent on them. At times if I am truthful I think about investing in another couple or four.

On wards...

Fitted the extension pieces to the bow and stern ends of the false keel core and chamfered the ends once I had  pinned them into place. This chamfering is to increase the seating of the internal floor planks. 

post-149-0-75174200-1377548096_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-31929200-1377548136_thumb.jpg

Then took to marking out the levels for the internal floor planking onto the false keel and core. The main assembly is inverted at this point and the structure has been leveled using datum points drawn onto the plans and then copied to the piece. Once completed the levels were drawn into place... and then I disassembled it all and all the relevant joints and areas where i don't want the planking to stick when glued together were covered in clear tape. (sellotape)

post-149-0-69078000-1377548149_thumb.jpg

The final job before I could start on the planking and really get this project up and running was to build a small jig to sit the floor planking into so that it could be tapered correctly at each end. Each of the false bulkheads were measured with a ticker tape and the results divided by 9 (the number of planks) to give the dimensions of each plank at the relevant bulk head.

post-149-0-79146100-1377548160_thumb.jpg

Cutting the planks...

post-149-0-11862500-1377548173_thumb.jpg

... Hip Hip Horray !!! at last the first planks laid... Its taken 14 days to get to this point. But as we all know all too well if the frame is not straight and true the model never will be... one second extra spent in the planning and preparation stage will save a full day trying to correct the faults later.

post-149-0-41427900-1377548184_thumb.jpg

...and the other delays... Well we all thought De Resta was going to get pole... but settled for the other Brit instead... just a shame that normal service was resumed before the end of the first lap... is this World Championship #4 coming up ??

Sarge

Edited by Sarge

On the slip…

Panart – Battle Station

Panart – Armed Launch

A/L – HMBark Endeavour

Jay,

At your request.

This is not a modified set of veneer calipers but a dedicated instrument. Great little tool especially when used on a sheet of glass which ensures that everything is level. I have two pieces of toughened 5 mm x 30 x 45 cm and a very big piece of 7 mm which just about covers my building board which is 1 meter x 50 cm.

The height gauge comes from a company here in the UK but you will find them on the web at www.machine-dro.co.uk they are expensive but to my opinion worth their weight.

post-149-0-95999600-1378120864_thumb.jpg

Will try and catch up with the rest of the post in next day or two and update the log to show my progress on the internal planking.

Edited by Sarge

On the slip…

Panart – Battle Station

Panart – Armed Launch

A/L – HMBark Endeavour

Thanks for the photo and info., Sarge--that's a nice piece of kit. I esp. like the extension piece--that's what originally caught my eye. This must be great for accurately determining waterlines and a host of other things. I think I'll be doing some shopping! ;)

Jay

Current Build:

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good Sarge. I noticed this kit being sold by several shops. In the description it says:

"The kit has been carefully engineered to provide hours of modeling enjoyment. It includes precut keel and frames; internal planking in hardwwood strips; external precut and preformed planking; all the accessories in wood, metal and resin, mast; building instructions and plans. "

What do they mean by "precut and preformed planking" or is this a typo?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in updating my build log.... No I am not !!! truth is I have been away on holiday for the last 4 weeks, but now refreshed and regenerated I shall return to the build with some gusto... so here goes again.

"Salty Sea Dog" - has I said before thanks for the link to the Model-Expo site for the book and plans by Ronnberg. Sadly with the delayed post from the USA to UK they didn't arrive before the holiday so had to make do with reading Banburek's book on HMS Sherbourne ready for my next build. But now having got them they look very detailed and should provide a very good source of reference.

"Q As Revenge" - the kit does in fact have the outer planking already "spilled" and is precut and preshaped ready for fitting as per the advertisement you have seen. Once I have got my head around to being back in my workshop and not walking  in the hills of Wales I will get some photos published on here to help in your decision on your next purchase. Just be aware that the plans and instructions are both written in Italian... albeit with an English translation. That said if you have built a couple of kits before or can follow the pictures I don't think you will have any problems.

Back soon.

On the slip…

Panart – Battle Station

Panart – Armed Launch

A/L – HMBark Endeavour

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that Sarge. If you want some more blocks these are pretty good and have Metric threads instead of those funny UNC things or whatever they used to use ... :-)

I have both the 10-20-40 and 20-40-80 blocks (in addition to some Moore & Wright 1,2,3's.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Workholding/Vee-Blocks-Angle-Plates

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I am new to Model Ship World but I am making this model by Amati.

For some time now I have been stuck on the hull planking.  There are 8 pre-cut strakes per side.  All of them have gone together well until the last one.  Plank 8 - the gunwhale strake is too short.  It is much shorter than the next plank down but should fit where the longest plank is needed.  Is this a mistake in the laser cutting or is this strake not meant to stretch from stem to stern?

I would be grateful to hear your experience.  There are no strake diagrams on the plans, alas.

Tony Farrell

Hi Tony

Unfortunately I am unable to assist you with your problem.  I tried the Amati version of the Bedford Whaleboat and abandoned the model as I found it too difficult, even though I consider myself an experienced boat modeller.  I note that Sarge did not continue with his build log and there are another couple of unfinished logs of the same model on the web site.  I have wondered if they suffered the same problem.

Not good news for you I'm afraid.  I don't know if it is your first model and if so there are many other models that would be a good introduction to the hobby.

Rodger

Previous builds include:

Cutty Sark (AL)

Brittania (Mamoli)

Lexington (Aeropiccola)

La Couronne (Corel)

Santa Maria (Mantua)

On 2/28/2020 at 12:19 AM, Tony Farrell said:

I am new to Model Ship World but I am making this model by Amati.

For some time now I have been stuck on the hull planking.  There are 8 pre-cut strakes per side.  All of them have gone together well until the last one.  Plank 8 - the gunwhale strake is too short.  It is much shorter than the next plank down but should fit where the longest plank is needed.  Is this a mistake in the laser cutting or is this strake not meant to stretch from stem to stern?

I would be grateful to hear your experience.  There are no strake diagrams on the plans, alas.

Tony Farrell

There are whaleboats and there are whaleboats, some with carvel planking, some with lapstrake ("clinker") planking, and some with a combination of both, so it's hard to say without looking 1) at the plans, and 2) at the plank, to answer your question. The plans should clearly show the run of the sheer and what that plank should look like. If the one you got in the kit doesn't fit, just spile the plank shape and cut another couple of them from planking stock and you should be good to go. You can read the planking tutorials in the "modeling techniques" section of the forum to learn how to develop plank shapes by spiling if you aren't familiar with the process. It's simple once you see how it's done.

Don't give up! You can do it!

No, I am not new to ship modelling and I have made some very complicated ship models - and rigged some complicated ships as wll.  i have already made a carvel built whale boat - an excellent build and a dream to plank up.  But this one has been a real challenge.  I live in St.Ives in the far West of Cornwall, in the UK.  And I work on full-size clinker-built boats - I also sail in traditional sail fishing boats as used over 100 years ago.  They carry a dipping lugsail on the forward mast and a standing lug on the mizzen and we sail with no engine power.  But this model has been a test.

I have now been able to extract her from the mould, shaped a final gunwhale plank, and fastened the hood-ends of the strakes to the stem and stern post.  So, I am well pleased with the progress.  I'm not sure of the best sort of paint to use on the hull or the best method of application.  Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help and suggestions and I'm glad to know that others have found this boat difficult.

Tony F.

1655797_810757958965194_5040966372526561711_o.jpg

IMG_4826.JPG