My First Kit Pick Ups.... Beginners Kit Recommendation?

DeHammer

I'm new to wooden ship models, though I have built plastic model kits. I've actually been wanting to try building a wooden ship since I was a kid, but just never got around to it in my younger years. I'm slowly inching toward retirement in a decade and kind of thought now's the time to learn more about building wooden ship models. I don't want to wait any longer. 

Though it's been in the back of mind,  stumbling across a good deal on a beginning level ship model pulled me in. I found a Billing Boats kit of the 'Dana' Danish fishing boat in my area for $14. I couldn't pass it up. It's basically new, and not started. Seems to have all the pieces. Now, after joining site I've learned that Billings kits aren't very 'beginner friendly'. Apparently they lack in the quality of the instructions and expect you know more than you do. I've also read that Billings kits employ a single layered plank on frame hull... where as other manufacturers make double layer hulls which tend to be more forgiving. In this case the 'Dana' is an ABS hull. So it's probably still a good kit for me to get into early on. But I wonder if it should be my first.... 

Is there a stand out kit that most often gets recommended for beginners? 

I also picked up this kit... another Billing Boats kit. I know this one will be on the shelf for some time as I have a lot to learn and some experience to gain before attempting. But it's a kit I know that I want to build one day, and the price seemed good. It's the Nr.576 'Bluenose' in 1:65 scale. The fact it's 'laser cut' seemed like an indication it might not be too outdated. It's complete and not started.

Did I get a good deal at $50? Normally I see this kit listed new at closer to $300. Or is there another reason this kit that's more expensive when new would sell so cheaply on the secondary market compared to the smaller Billings Bluenose II kit (1:100)? Maybe seller just confused the two kits and priced the 576 Bluenose kit as if it's a really good deal on a 600 Bluenose II kit (which can sell for under $100 sometimes)? 

Nr576 Bluenose - Copy.jpg

Nr576 003 - Copy.JPG

Edited by DeHammer

I know at least one member of this forum who really likes Billing Boats kits, and he does a great job building them -- the builder is the key. And if you do a search for "Billing Boats Dana," you'll see that we have several completed examples in the gallery. It can be built into a very nice model. The main thing is to have fun and feel a connection to whatever you happen to be building. Now, very soon some other members will chime in with suggestions for beginner-friendly kits, and you may certainly take those under advisement. But, once you make your decision about how to proceed, commit yourself to simply enjoying the journey.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Well, the basic rule of thumb is to start with minimal rigging.  I'd say, start the Dana and a build log and go from there.   Others will suggest the ModelExpo beginner's models which starts with one with no rigging.  

Billing's kits can be daunting for sure but as Chris said, do a search in the kit logs area as you can learn a lot from them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Chris & Mark! I am excited to try to build the Dana, and I'm also kind of excited to do it in a way I'd envision the boat. I have a totally different color scheme in mind that might be far from realistic, but as soon as I pictured in my mind's eye, I knew it was what I needed to do. Having a mental image of the completed model as I'd like it has given me some inspiration, and I suspect I'm going to need some inspiration to tackle my first build. That's maybe going to be more important than 'getting it right'. I tend to be very self-critical when it comes to artwork. I'm going to try to toss that out the window for this first build. 

Welcome DeHammer. You got an excellent deal on the Bluenose kit. As Mark stated above, someone, namely me will suggest Model Expo. You might want to look at the Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Kit Combo Series. You'll get a lot of practice and some decent instructions with the kits. 3 boats, 3 stands, some so-so tools, paint, glue and not feel overwhelmed at the start. The current price is about $170 which works out to less than $60 per kit. The other nice thing with Model Expo is that if you break, lose, or screw up a part they will replace it for you at no cost. If the bug really hits you after you have assembled your kit(s) then look into some of the best kits out there namely Vanguard and Syren Ship Models. Both designers are members here. If and when you find a kit that sparks your interest, look at the building logs for that kit and see what problems or issues the builders had and also what they did to add additional detail. Above all though have fun, and ask questions we are a friendly lot.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

31 minutes ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

Welcome DeHammer. You got an excellent deal on the Bluenose kit. As Mark stated above, someone, namely me will suggest Model Expo. You might want to look at the Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Kit Combo Series. You'll get a lot of practice and some decent instructions with the kits. 3 boats, 3 stands, some so-so tools, paint, glue and not feel overwhelmed at the start. The current price is about $170 which works out to less than $60 per kit. The other nice thing with Model Expo is that if you break, lose, or screw up a part they will replace it for you at no cost. If the bug really hits you after you have assembled your kit(s) then look into some of the best kits out there namely Vanguard and Syren Ship Models. Both designers are members here. If and when you find a kit that sparks your interest, look at the building logs for that kit and see what problems or issues the builders had and also what they did to add additional detail. Above all though have fun, and ask questions we are a friendly lot.

Jim

Thanks! I just Googled that set. That looks like a great way to start. I'm definitely going to consider that. I love that the kit gives you some basic starter tools as well. Since the Dana is an ABS hull, that Model Expo set might even be a great way to get into plank & frame after I screw up the Dana. ;) 

Good to know $50 for the Bluenose was a good deal. I started to wonder if I bought an albatross or white elephant. 

Edited by DeHammer

5 hours ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Kit Combo Series. You'll get a lot of practice and some decent instructions with the kits. 3 boats, 3 stands, some so-so tools, paint, glue and not feel overwhelmed at the start. The current price is about $170 which works out to less than $60 per kit.

The 3 kit combo is on sale for $78.65 with free shipping.  Can't beat that price.  https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series_p_5465.html

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

What GRSJAX says!   Best series for beginners to come along in our lifetime designed by one the most accomplished model builders and authors on ship modeling who also happens to be an active member here.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

18 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I know at least one member of this forum who really likes Billing Boats kits, and he does a great job building them -- the builder is the key. And if you do a search for "Billing Boats Dana," you'll see that we have several completed examples in the gallery.

Hi Chris. I searched the forums as per your suggestion and found the gallery images of finished builds. I did also look through the PDFs for build logs and couldn't find any actual build logs for the Dana. Am I missing something or are there no actual build logs for that kit here? I did find one in a personal blog site using Google. But would be great to see a few others if there are any available. I feel like there should be some here, but maybe I'm just not searching correctly. 

Edited by DeHammer

On 6/18/2022 at 4:06 AM, grsjax said:

The 3 kit combo is on sale for $78.65 with free shipping.  Can't beat that price.  https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series_p_5465.html

That set does not include the tools, paint or glue.  Still an excellent price, but just be aware.

I’ll add my vote for those kits.  I’m almost done with the Dory and have started the Pram.  Good instructions - almost a tutorial.