Dorian Ship c. 1300 BC by shadowcaster - Scale 1:100

I work in short periods. My workshop is located in a different place from where I live. At my parents' place. That's why I try to have everything ready when I go there. And I try to do my best in a short time.

Unfortunately my next visit to the workshop will be in two weeks... 😒

Edited by shadowcaster

This beautiful vessel might have inspired the old song “Sit down, sit down, you’re rock’in the boat!”

Actually, the hull form is similar to that of a modern racing shell.  Modern day crews are able to manage these craft without capsizing.  Without modern technology ancient people seem to have developed physical skills to a high legal to compensate.

Roger

11 hours ago, shadowcaster said:

long and thin and no keel.

This not intended to high jack.  It is fun to take a sidebar for  a wider view of this project.  It is interesting and unique.  It is also a bit of an exploration of the taproot of watercraft evolution - at least in Europe - in the place where most of the early action was. 

To speculate:

The pacific islanders used outriggers to add stability.   The illustrations at the beginning had me thinking "outrigger" for this.

This looks like a scaled up version of a dugout - which seems like the logical progression.

In the Bay, early backyard builders constructed "log canoes".   There was still old growth timber - tall trees with a significant diameter.

The vessels were not the sort of shape that comes to mind as canoe the personal watercraft.    The length was constrained by maximum log length, so they were not as long as the Med vessel here.  They had a greater beam to length ratio.  They were made of 3 or 5 logs joined side by side.  The thickness would make the hull resistant to puncture.  

My thought with this is that Dorian vessel would be maybe something like three logs butted end to end at the center line and two overlapping rows on either side.   As the large trees were all cut down,  I can see how the hard won skills in joinery and waterproofing would evolve to using split out planks to replace the logs. 

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Addition of a keel would have little or no effect on transverse stability.  The main purpose of an external keel in a sailing vessel is to resist side forces that cause the hull to slide to leeward; “leeway.”  In modern sailing vessels, of course the keel increases the range of stability by drastically lowering the boat’s center of gravity; a totally different proposition.

Roger

You might be interested in the build log of a Maori "Waka" (dug-out war canoe) at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/16639-waka-maori-war-canoe-by-john-allen-124-finished/#comment-516441

It references a very informative book on them which contains a discussion of techniques used by the Maoris to build these surprisingly sophisticated vessels.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...