Review: Worx WX106L cordless Rotary tool

I was on line with idle hands not really needing anything, but wanting everything I didn't need and came across the Worx WX106L 8v rotary tool. It was offered for $29.00 with free shipping, I had to do a double take. Usually cordless rotary tools run close to $100.00, especially Dremel. I currently own several Worx tools and really like them: 20V weed eater, blower, 20v nail gun (just finished building a fence around my back yard with it, awsome tool) and a power share Makerx rotary tool using the 20v batteries, it's not truely a cordless rotary tool like the WX106L. Needless to say I bought one of the WX106L rotary tools and did the old walk of shame thing since I already owner 3 or 4 rotary tools not quite sure how many at the moment, but I;m sure my wife will point it out to me sooner or later.     

Now I owned several of the old Dremel 7.2v nicd/nimh cordless rotary tools and loved them, especially the fact that they had a removeable battery for charging and coulod be replaced when the battery got to weak. But they no longer make that model.

The WX106L has a built in lithium battery and came with half a charge, which is normal. It came in a nice plastic storage box, with several different bits, sanding drums, wire wheel and a USB cable for charging the rotary tool. You either plug it in to a computer or use a wall plug adapter, which I did. This tool has quite a bit of power over the old 7.2 Dremel and is about the same weight. I will put it through it's paces in a few days and report back as to how it performs.   

I probably should mention here that the Worx WX106L comes with a 3 year warranty, for a cordless rotary tool, that's pretty darn good. And from what I know of Worx, they stand behind their products. 

Update: I have put about 90 minutes of use on the Worx WX106L from using the cut off wheel, mini saw blade, sanding drum, grinding wheel and found that there is plenty of power to do most any job that a corded rotary tool can do. It's still on the initial charge! I have to find something I don't like about the tool, so not to really nit pick here, I don't care for the on and off button, which is flush mounted to the body of the rotary tool, which means when using the tool, you have to actually look for the on or off button, taking your eyes off of the work area each time. On all my Dremels and even the Sears rotary tools, the on off button was raised making it easier to find by feel.

Good points: I love the front mounted lights which helps these old eyes. I really like the soft start of the machine, unlike the hard starts of a Dremel. I also like the holding capacity of the lithium battery. 

PS: I thought I would add in here that the USB charging cable may be proprietary and made specifically for the Worx Rotary tool. I have several old cell phone chargers and USB cables and none have the extra wide end.  

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase and for $29.00, it makes it one of the if not the best purchase of the year for me so far. 

DSC01680.JPG

DSC01681.JPG

DSC01683.JPG

DSC01685.JPG

DSC01684.JPG

Edited by mtdoramike

I moved this to the tools area.  Just add your review to this topic and add "review" to the title.  Looks to be an interesting tool and yes, I know those words are the kiss of death to the credit card.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, I'll edit the original post with any updates., So far, I'm liking it. It seems to do what I need it to do and that says a lot for me since I'm a big Dremel fan, although I have used some different rotary tools in the past like a Sears and a Black and Decker. The Sears was OK, I really liked the Black and Decker and would still be using one, but they are hard to find since they stopped making the one I used to use.    

Hi mtdoramike, thank you for the review. In one of your photos you have a chuck mounted on the device. Is this a dremel chuck or does worx have their own?

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Hi Paul, the original chuck that comes with the Worx rotary tool is the same style that comes with Dremels where you use a wrench to loosen or tighten the collet. In the picture with the showing the lights on the rotary tool is a dremel chuck that came off my old Dremel tool that I purchased years ago, but it works on thew Worx as does all Dremel attachments. I like the chuck that I can twist with my fingers without having to use a chuck wrench, it makes it a lot easier and faster to change bits.  

DSC01703.JPG

DSC01704.JPG

DSC01705.JPG

That’s good to know. I bought a dremel chuck last year for my old dremel 380. The threaded shaft on the 380 isn’t long enough to contact the jaws to make them close. The worx would be a nice upgrade for me. Thanks 

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

• 6 months later...

I bought one of these last year and put it aside.  A day ago, I took it out and charged it.  The charging lights show as a full charge but it won't turn on nor will it light up. It almost seems as if there is a combination of button pushes to get it going but if that is in the manual, I missed it.  Any suggestions?

The closer you get to Canada, the more things will eat your horses. ~ T. King