Forum(s) for multiple questions

Hello,

I'm seeking advice about a plan I have for the near future which involves heavily modifying a factory kit.  My questions range from which model to choose, to which aftermarket accessories to add, how to fabricate parts, and which paints and finishes to use.  Could you recommend to me which subforum(s) I should ask in?

Thank you.

If it doesn't exist, I'll just have to make it myself.  Doesn't mean I'm not gonna complain about it.

Hi, Dan.

For the kit, there is a section for general kit discussions. For parts, use the tips & techniques section. There is a section for painting as well. Most of what you need to ask you can probably ask within your build log, should you choose to start one.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Most of your questions are subsets of the main one, "which model to choose". For that, it'd help to know which kind of kit you're interested in (wood, plastic, card, etc.) and which kind of vessel (open boat, ancient sailing vessel, modern warship, etc.) because the methods can be quite different. For example, fabricating parts for a wood Viking longship may be quite different than for a plastic aircraft carrier. You can find relevant discussions of different kit types: https://modelshipworld.com/forum/58-general-ship-model-kit-discussions-not-build-logs/

MSW has specific forums for most aspects of model-building (such as painting) listed here: https://modelshipworld.com/forum/12-shop-notes-ship-modeling-tips-techniques-and-research

I'd start with the kit discussion/decision, which can also be informed by looking for build logs for kits you're considering, reading them to get an idea of the kit's nature and upgrade potential, then contacting those builders for their ideas. If you can't find a log for a kit of interest, look for logs for similar kits from the same manufacturer to get a sense of their quality and difficulty.

Overall, I'd start by doing research before asking questions. Look for and read as much relevant material on MSW as you can find, before adding new questions to the mix. Use the Search box and its customization features. For example, you'll find that many people before you have posted questions about how to choose a kit, and reading those discussions may answer many of your questions. And reading through existing build logs will help you learn what's involved in kit construction, part fabrication, and so on. Once you've given yourself a grounding in existing material, you'll have a better idea of what questions you still need to ask.

Hi Dan, welcome. There is no question by a new modeler that cannot be answered here. Go to the new member introduction area and introduce yourself and meet some of the fine folks here that can help start you on your journey. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Welcome to MSW 

Cathead posed pertinent questions.  If you would provide more information you will get lots of good advice.  How much experience do you have?  This is important as there are great kits for beginners as well as a some good ones for experienced builders.  There are also a lot of choices that many would avoid due to poor instructions, inaccurate parts, and poor materials.

Read the forum here at MSW on banned kits as build logs based on stolen property are not permitted here.  Unfortunately there are many starting with ZHL.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I'm interested in making a wood model.  I've assembled a lot of plastic kits, but this would be the first real wooden one I've done.  So you recommend that, after background research, I start by asking for a kit recommendation in Wood model ship kits and then ask about the other topics in the appropriate subforums as they come up?

If it doesn't exist, I'll just have to make it myself.  Doesn't mean I'm not gonna complain about it.

28 minutes ago, Dan DSilva said:

this would be the first real wooden one I've done

Hi Dan,

As you are a beginner be very careful in your choice.  Many folks take on a kit with a big name like HMS Bounty or HMS Victory, resulting in probably ten unfinished models for every finished one.  It certainly can be done, but the odds are against you.

If you start with a few simpler HIGH quality kits you will learn great woodworking techniques that will stay with you as you advance.   While wood kits have now gone to laser cut parts in many instances, it is not like assembling a plastic kit.   There is sanding and other finishing techniques, but none are overwhelming and the results you can see in the many build logs.

Everyone has their druthers on where to start, but I do not recall seeing even one negative comment on starting with the three vessels series from Model Shipways that was designed by author and professional ship modeler David Antscherl.  There are a number of build logs here for these vessels so they can be a great aid to you as well.   https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series_p_5465.html    

Good luck!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

50 minutes ago, Dan DSilva said:

So you recommend that, after background research, I start by asking for a kit recommendation in Wood model ship kits and then ask about the other topics in the appropriate subforums as they come up?

Essentially, yes, because almost every other decision you make and skill set you develop will relate to what you choose to build. But in terms of research, for example, the Wood Ship Model Kits section has three threads pinned right at the top about how to choose a good kit for a beginner:

These have a lot of good discussion that will give you context. If you still have a specific question, that's a good time to post a new topic (or a new question in one of those threads).

Also, in addition to @allanyed's suggestion, consider starting with the NRG's half-hull planking tutorial model. Hull shaping and planking is probably the hardest thing to master for modelers new to wooden ship building, as it's the most different from anything you've experienced in the plastic modeling world, and you might well benefit from trying this simple and inexpensive learning kit before diving into a full (and more expensive) model. It looks cool when finished and doesn't take up much space. There is a full tutorial build log on MSW as well as multiple people's personal logs (including mine) that you can consult for diversity.

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Hi Dan,

As you are a beginner be very careful in your choice.  Many folks take on a kit with a big name like HMS Bounty or HMS Victory, resulting in probably ten unfinished models for every finished one.  It certainly can be done, but the odds are against you.

Thanks.  That's something I hadn't thought of.

FWIW, I had planned on this taking a long time, and I have some woodworking experience (although probably little or none pertinent to model-building).

I'll start in the wood model forum then.

Welcome aboard Dan, you've been given some great advice from some of the best this hobby has to offer.  I can only share some suggestions based upon my limited experience so take them for what their worth.  Patience is probably one of the most important things a builder needs to possess, closely followed by adhering to the adage of "take your time".  This is a hobby you can pretty much just get up and walk away for a bit in order to decompress and recompose, just remember to put the cap back on the glue first.  Any oops, catastrophic mistake or major blow it can be fixed no matter how devastating you perceive it to be, just be patient and take your time.  You shouldn't concern yourself to deeply in tool investment.  I recall a very young and inexperienced builder (I believe she was located in France) back in the MSW 1.0 days.  With practically zero modeling or woodworking experience and the most limited set tools was creating a beautiful ship that was the envy of many an experienced builder.  Don't get discouraged after looking at some of the wonderful ships that can be seen here, remember that even the very best builders were all beginners at one time just like you and I.  Remember the that the dumbest question you could think of is the one you don't ask.  By all means start and build log and ask your questions there, but I've found I get better response times and more thorough answers to my questions when posted in the appropriately related folder.  With over 43,300 members here, there are more than a few who are very eager share their knowledge, tips, tricks and hints to a new builder so know that you've got a tremendous amount of support and encouragement to help you along.  And finally, enjoy yourself.         

Edited by Peanut6
typo

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats