Recomendations for a good bench top drill press

I'd like to get a good bench top drill press for the smaller drill bits. I know the cheap harbor freight, home depot, etc. ones are nowhere near the quality I need, but don't need the $400 to $1000 ones either, just a good one for modeling. Is the Proxxon or a similar one really "Precision"? Any recommendations? I already have a full sized floor mounted drill press, so just a bench top for light work.

Ron,

You might give a look at this recent discussion - it veered into bench top ( DRL3000 ) fairly quickly.

The solutions involving Dremel machines you should discount if any of them are not already dismissed out of hand.

I have Foredom flex with the 1/3 HP motor - lower speed high torque motor and bought the drill press accessory - it is surprisingly sturdy - so if you have a Foredom, it is worth a look although I have not tried it yet -  my DRL3000 has worked well enough  and my framing method requires 100's if not 1000's of holes that must be exact and 100% perpendicular.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/32788-does-anybody-have-experience-with-vanda-lay-industries-tools-for-the-dremel/

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

This post may be moot, but at around $1,200.00, Cameron's Model 214 Precision Drill Press will deliver what you are looking for without question. 

In order to drill and space holes in measurements of 0.00X inch, the drill press's runout and alignment must be at least an order of magnitude smaller.  And the machine must be rigid.  You may be able to get by with machines of lesser quality - put emphasis on "may".

When drilling into a part with several stages of work already done on it, trying to do work beyond the tolerance of the machine risks ruining all the work done before.  Options are to start over and try again or settle for less.  

Cameron sells vises, X-Y tables and many other accessories compatible with their machines and other small drill presses.  

The small proxon one is very good. Very precise, very robust, small foot print. Combined with cheap carbide drills is a wonderful tool.

Proxxon tools are good, but for a bench press I bought a chinese online for just over 100$ and bought an X-Y table which was easily adapted. It works fine for me. Anyway, its one of the essential tools.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

• 1 month later...