Double banked versus single banked ships' boats

The only reference to when a boat was double banked versus single banked that I have been able to find so far is on page 219 in Lavery's The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War where he writes that "in 1783 it was ordered that all launches should be equipped to row double banked."  Looking at the boat scantlings for launches circa 1800 in May's The Boats of Men of War, the smallest launch that he shows has a length of 24 feet and a breadth of 7 feet 10 inches.  OK, that seems like a lot of room to be double banked.

My quandry is whether there was a minimum breadth required for any type of boat to be double banked.  Lacking other information one could make the argument that any boat that had a breadth of 7' 10" or more would/could be double banked, but that kind of assumption is probably a bad idea.   Was there a rule that stated a minimum breadth for any boat that would be double banked or single banked?  Mays has a photo of a contemporary model of a 37 foot barge that has a breadth of 7 feet that is single banked.  On the same page he shows a contemporary plan of a 32 foot barge (no breadth given)  that is double banked, adding to my confusion.  I would appreciate any information.  Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

If you look at the mechanics of a lever, I believe that the single/double bank issue is like gearing in a car.  Boats intended to travel at high speeds benefited from two oars per thwart.  On the other hand, heavy workboats like longboats and launches benefited from the added leverage gained by one oarsman per thwart using the breadth of the boat to gain leverage.  At least that’s how I arranged thole pins in my Longboat model.

I also see no reason why these boats could not have been converted back and forth from single to double banked and vice versa as needed as thole pins could be added or removed from holes in the gunwales.

In researching these boats carried aboard warships IMHO there are many details that we know little about.

Roger

Your reasoning makes a lot of sense Roger.  There is indeed very little outside of the Lavery and May books.  At least there are reasonably close scantlings and details that would help anyone building a ship's boat for the ship model with hand tools.     There are also a lot of contemporary drawings that show the diversity even within a given time period.   

Allan  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Eric McKee in his 'Working Boats of Britain' looked a bit into the mechanics/ergonomics of rowing and I think gives some dimensions, if I remember correctly, for spacing thwarts, inboard vs. outboard lengths of oars etc. Rowing efficiency, both from the purely physical perspective as well as from the physiological perspective is quite complex. While in the 18th/19th century, of course, there were no scientific studies on this, people had a lot of experience.

I gather there are in principle x different rowing arrangements in ships' boats:

- one man per thwart with two oars (in small boats only)

- one man per thwart with one oar (single bank)

- two men per thwart with one oar each (double bank)

- four men per thwart with two men per oar (in large boats only)

You will need an inboard length of the oar of around 3 feet minimum to give a reasonable fulcrum, whereby one hand is placed on the handle and the other more or less at shoulder width further towards the thole pins. This means that you would need a minimum of around 6 to 7 feet for a double banked boat, while a single-banked one could be as narrow as about 4 feet, with the men off-set to each side of the boat.

Faster, lighter boats could have proportionally longer oars with wider space between the thwarts to allow for longer strokes, propelling the boat faster, while heavy working boats would have closer spaced thwarts with shorter oars, as here you need the 'torque' of the oars at slower speed.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks Eberhard.   As with so many things in those days, there is a lot of diversity.  Understandable with many yards building boats, but there were contracts with scantlings that help to some extent.  The following is one example of a contract transcribed (with notes)  from the original at the National Archives in Kew by  Mark Porter.

A point to note with dating is that in contracts it was often written as 7ber, 8ber, 9ber & 10ber  

Contracted the 9th of 7ber [September ] 90 with the Honoble Tho[mas] Willshaw, Esqre one of the Principall Officers  & Commrs of their  Majties Navy, for and behalf of their Maties, by me  Tho[mas] Oxford of Gosport Shipwright and I  doe hereby oblige my self to deliver into their Majties Stores at Portsmouth, by ye end of 8ber [October] next ensueing the  Pinnace and Yawle undermentioned  of the Dimensions and Scantlings folling  (viz)     

Long              Broad            Deep

Pinnace   of         30ft:   -----      6ft:  ------     2ft: 7ins   -------  

Depth of the Keel: 5 ins  breadth 4 ins, Scantlings of the timbers 1 ½ ins Roome and space 13 ins,   depth of the Gunwales up & down 4½: ins  in and out 2 ins & 1½ in, Scarph of ye Timber 18 ins, breadth of ye Stem thwartships 3½ ins fore and aft 7 ins, Stern post 3ins, Rising 4½  in, footwales 4½ ins and one inch in and out, Keelson 8 ins X 1½  in thick, to be fitted with 12 Iron Knees 5 bound thwarts wth Iron Knees & two Transom Knees, with gang boards) and Scarr boards [Wash boards?], benches three  lynings, Grounds  & mouldings, plankshires turn[e]d off,  back board one,  bottome boards two, Keel band 22 ft Ring bolts two,  Rother iron two paire, Rother one  once primed at the Rate of fourteen shillings per foot.

Yawle of        Long                            Broad                     Deep

ft                             ft

23 ft                               5   7 ins                  2    5 ins                  One

Railes for the upper strake to be made out of ye whole wood up & down Gunwales stuck,

3 thwarts bound with Iron knees, & ye transoms with two Iron knees.

The State Room (stern sheets, or officers’ seating area) stuck (presumably meaning ‘struck’) with an O:G. & plansheer for the Gunnwales with pannels on each side the back board, a locker under the after bench & lynings under the benches,  keel thwart shipps 4 ins up and downe, 4 ½ ins X 4 ins  Keelson 6 ins broad of 1 ½ ins planck timbers of 1 ½ ins with 13 ins roome and space and 18 ins Scarph, the flower [floor] timber heads to Naile to ye lower edge of ye binding strake, with bottom boards, & shear boards, Keelbands and Iron bolts and Rings for stem and stern, to row with six Oars to be graved and primed to the water line and paid with stuff in the inside to ye Riseing att 12s per foot  

Edited by allanyed

G'day Allan,

11 hours ago, allanyed said:

5 bound thwarts wth Iron Knees & two Transom Knees

So if this is 1690 (Thomas Wilshaw fits with that) and we have 23ft boats being fitted with "iron knees" doesn't that open up a new can of worms? How common were iron knees? Does it perhaps mean that the RMG boat drawings not specifically showing wooden knees had iron knees? 'shudder' too much to think about.

EDIT, I just looked up Mays Boats of Men of War and the scantlings table ca1800 gives iron knees for Barges, Pinnaces, Yawls and Wherrys. I don't see anything for earlier but the contracts show that it might have been true for a long time.

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

For double banked barges and pinnaces the instructions for embarkation given in "Aide Memoire to the Military Sciences" are:

If there is any motion, care must be taken not to overload the boats, for fear of
their swamping; there will therefore be room for the crew to pull . As many of the
troops as possible must be made to sit down in the boats: in a barge or pinnace one soldier between each rower and the rowlock, before the oar, looking aft, and one abaft each oar, with his back to the gunwale,

In launches or larger boats there will be room for men to sit or stand in the centre of the boat between the two lines of rowers, in addition to those marked for barges , &c. The head and stern sheets of old boats to be packed as close as possible consistent with safety.
If the water is perfectly smooth , the boats may be laden much deeper, the men standing as close as possible together ; but in this case they must be towed , for two reasons : 1st , the crew have no room to pull ; 2nd , when boats are very deep, the men cannot get the blades of the oars out of the water so as to pull with effect.
It must, however, be remembered that it is slow work towing a heavy boat by a light one ; load , therefore, the boats employed in towing as deeply as you can without inconveniencing the rowers.
Boats employed in landing troops are to have neither guns , masts , nor sails; their equipment to be - gang -boards, oars, grapnels and painters, boat - hooks , bailers , hammers and nails , sheet -lead, grease , and canvas ; the latter articles are to enable them to stop a small shot-hole in case of accident.

Edited by Lieste