Quick question please about hull planking wood choices (edited)

I have been advised to get a better hull planking wood (first hull) by another member on here for the Occre Terror. Its 2mm x 5mm x 600, i've also been informed this is not long enought for a full pass. would 2mm x 5mm x 1000 cover it? 

What wood should i use? Can't seem to fine Pear wood in them dimentions, if someone more experienced at this than me have a look at Cornwall Model Boats website and under Building Meterials, Timber, Stripwood and let me know whats good please, or Mantua  Model Uk Ltd. Not aware of any other good supplies yet.

Also the hull vaneer if the supplied stuff isnt upto scratch although it will be stained ebony like Keith S build - see Build Log. A

Thanks All

Joe

Joe

If it moves Grease it if it doesn't Paint it.....

Current Builds: Occre, Polaris                                                          Shopping List: Vanguard, HMS Sphinx                            

Occre, HMS Terror                                                                            Vanguard, HMS Flirt

Occre, Endurance

Completed Builds: 0

Does the kit call for a 2nd planking with a thin veneer wood ? Like 0.5mm walnut, as a lot of Artesania Latina kits do ?  If so, 1st planking with kit supplied wood is sufficient.   

Have you considered reaching out to https://hobbymill.eu/en?

Also, if you start getting into improving planking you may want to consider using "real" lengths and then full length planks aren't critical - but if you are painting it may not be worth the added expense.

3 hours ago, JDillon said:

i've also been informed this is not long enought for a full pass. would 2mm x 5mm x 1000 cover it? 

Hi Joe,

When you say full pass, do you mean one strake covering the entire length of the ship?   The strakes were made of planks about 30 to 35 feet long, so for 1:50 the longest planks on each strake need only be about 180mm long so you really don't need longer pieces.  From a practical stand point the shorter planks might make tapering and edge bending as seen on the Chuck Passaro YouTube videos, or spiling as demonstrated in the beginners guide to planking by David Antscherl in the MSW Articles data base, easier before gluing to the hull as well.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

When I built Ochhre's Dos Amigos, I used cherry for the outer planking. I bought the cherry at Woodcrafters, and cut and thinned the planks on Byrnes equipment. I did not paint the hull, but used gun oil...several coats, sandpapering between each. Looked great (to me), and cherry is not as expensive as pear.

IMG_0650.jpeg