Checkered cabin flooring

Go to solution Solved by mtaylor,

Hello all,

I am seeking some information regarding the checkered flooring on the stern cabin for English warships of the late 18th century. I understand that it was made from painted canvas and simply laid down over the deck planking, but I have a hard time conceptualizing what this would look like in reality. Are there any photographs of modern reconstructions? Any resources would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

starlight

Hi, Google painted canvas flooring, or floorcloth canvas, loads of pictures. 

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

• Solution

At one time, I think the Victory had the canvas on the floor.  Maybe Google (image search) and see?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's just a painted canvas tarp, like a painter's drop cloth you can buy today at Lowes and such.

They were used in homes then as well, in the dining room, kitchen, a runner in a hallway, bedrooms, anywhere you didn't want bare floors.  They were also used in army officers tentage on campaign so you didn't have to walk on damp grass in your stocking feet. 

I made a couple over the years; one for my wife's tent when she went reenacting with me.  Her's was a basic checker with 4 inch squares in dark red and cream colors.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Thank you @markjay and @JerryTodd for bringing this information to my attention. I had no idea these floorcloths were so common, even nowadays.

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

At one time, I think the Victory had the canvas on the floor.  Maybe Google (image search) and see?

mtaylor, I found this stock photo of the cabin on Victory: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-captains-day-cabin-onboard-the-hms-victory-nelsons-flagship-in-25705347.html

It surprises me how crisp and bright the pattern is, almost like tile! Much appreciated for pointing me in the right direction.

-starlight

These were the forerunners of linoleum - Walton (the linoleum inventor) wanted to make something more durable than these oil-cloths. One can imagine that they wore through quite quickly when walked over with street footwear.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Here's an example of one of these oiled canvas mats.  This was in a heritage house (Runnymeade) we visited in Hobart, Tasmania.  I was pretty impressed with the overall quality.  Youy can see the wear and tare Wefalck refers to on the edges where the mat is more prone t foot traffic etc.

67302574_CanvasMatRunnymeadeHouseHobart.thumb.jpg.c7ccd14e8e9db1ec1bc08e3982d06e7d.jpg

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Starlight,

Maybe a wash over it or before printing?  I'm thinking silkspan and tape it to a sheet of paper to act as base and crumple. 

I'd think paint might work but too thick so India Ink might be best.  Thus, no printer needed except for maybe lines to but that could be done on paper and then lay the silkspan on top.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Starlight,

Maybe a wash over it or before printing?  I'm thinking silkspan and tape it to a sheet of paper to act as base and crumple. 

I'd think paint might work but too thick so India Ink might be best.  Thus, no printer needed except for maybe lines to but that could be done on paper and then lay the silkspan on top.  

Thanks again, mtaylor. I was planning on adding furled sails to my model in the long and distant future, so I suppose I might as well buy some silkspan now and do some testing.

• 3 weeks later...

There are several contemporary models showing this feature in the NMM archives. Many of them still have a large compass rose in the middle. If I remember well, there is already a thread here in MSW showing those.

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/549999.html

SLR0506.3; 'Superb' (1760) Date made circa 1760

large.jpg

Also a nice detail about Nelson, reported by his secretairy: As he did not want help to dress and undress as for his missing arm, he always wore loafers even at heavy weather. So he was able to dress and undress them by himself and if his feet got wet he used to walk in socks over the carpets in his cabin, until the feet got dry 🙂

This means, it was not unusual to put something over the chequers still.

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

On 10/21/2022 at 1:18 PM, dafi said:

There are several contemporary models showing this feature in the NMM archives. Many of them still have a large compass rose in the middle. If I remember well, there is already a thread here in MSW showing those.

Thank you dafi, the resource you posted is very interesting and I think that level of detail certainly fits a 74 or any other ship of the line. I wonder what would be appropriate for a simple sloop-of-war as I am building.

-starlight