Not sure if this is the right place for this. Feel free to move it if not.

I am writing this on my PS4 and can'tupload pictures from it. I also can't upload from my sim only mobile.Same problem with my Xbox. 

Unfortunately my PC has packed up so need a new one.I only usue the PC occasionly for shopping and uploading pictures to here. I was looking at ivesting in a laptop or a Tablet.

Not being familiar with a laptop or a tablet  can I upload pictures to here with either one of these. 

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

I don't know about PS4's or Xboxes so I can't tell you if you can upload photos from that. I would imagine that you should be able to, given that I had a PS3 many years ago and I was able to transfer photos from my SD card to the PS3, and the PS3 had a web browser. It was really annoying to use with a game controller though. 

All laptops, tablets, and smartphones should be able to upload photos to MSW. Since you appear not to know much about computers (forgive me if i'm wrong, I am trying to be helpful and not insulting), I will give you a quick rundown of the different types that you can consider: 

- Desktop PC. Probably the cheapest option, particularly if you get a friend/family member to build one for you from secondhand parts. You can also recycle parts from your old PC into the new one if it's still in working order (my PC is essentially the same computer that I built in 1991 which has been incrementally upgraded until all the parts are not the same any more!). IMO it gives you the best keyboard / screen experience and can be built to be the most powerful computer possible in a domestic setting. Downside is that it's not transportable and it occupies space. 

- Laptop: advantage is that it can be easily stored and put away, and you can travel with it. Comes in many form factors and many sizes. Disadvantages: you pay more for the computing power you get, is upgradeable to a limited extent (or if you get Apple, not upgradeable at all), and parts can not be recycled for your next computer. You can choose between Windows, Apple MacOS, or Google Chrome. Apple is the most expensive and gives you the most limited choice and has less app support, so I would avoid Apple unless there is something specific you need to do on MacOS or if you like the design. Windows laptops are by far the most common and come in all shapes and sizes. Chrome has the lowest computing requirements and probably the best bang for your buck, but all its applications are web-based meaning you need a permanent internet connection or it won't work. Selection of apps is somewhat limited. 

- Tablet: three choices here: Windows, Apple iPad, or Android. Tablets are great for reading in bed (my entire Kindle library is stored on my tablet), watching videos and movies, taking on airplanes, and so on. They are extremely portable. Microsoft Surface (Windows) runs the full desktop operating system and can run any Windows program on the tablet. There are third party options from Lenovo and Acer. Despite Apple's attempts to make the iPad more "professional", it is still a toy for professionals but might suit light web browsing and low demand computing so it may be ideal. Android tablets have the same disadvantages as Apple but with the added disadvantage of less app support. 

Your first step is to decide how much you want to spend, then choose which form factor you want (desktop, laptop, or tablet) and then choose which operating system you want. Happy to guide you more but you must make these decisions first. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not insulted so don't worry. Actually untill I retired I've always worked with computers.I know my way round a PC quite well. I just don't use one that much. Looking at Laptops or a Tablet seemed like a good investment because of some of the advantages they have over a PC.. But didn't want to buy one if I couldn't upload pictures. 

When I try with the PS4 I get a message saying cannot use this feature. 

And my mobile will not upload at all.

I was just hoping someone had experience of using a laptop or tablet to upload pictures so I could put my mind at rest on their use for uploading pictures.The problem at the moment is obviously cost. And I can pick up a tablet fairly cheaply.

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

Hi Paul, I use an iPad and it works well for me. It has a pretty good camera so you can take a picture, edit it and upload it from the same device. I still don’t get the part about apple being intuitive, but then I don’t seem to understand android either. 😀 

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

What do you mean by your mobile will not upload at all, or can you elaborate on your issues with XBox/PS4/Mobile? It may help debug the issue; I can upload photos from my phone so I'm a little concerned that purchasing a tablet won't fix whatever issue you're encountering on your mobile (as they are similar devices). I also upload from laptop/pc (and I would assume either would work fine for you as well).

2 hours ago, Paul Jarman said:

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not insulted so don't worry. Actually untill I retired I've always worked with computers.I know my way round a PC quite well. I just don't use one that much. Looking at Laptops or a Tablet seemed like a good investment because of some of the advantages they have over a PC.. But didn't want to buy one if I couldn't upload pictures. 

As I mentioned, all laptops and tablets are able to upload pictures. For me I have unique computing requirements - powerful PC at home for video rendering, home audio, media server, etc, a laptop for travel, and an Android tablet because it's light and expandable with an SD card. I do all my reading on my Android tablet. I did consider getting a Microsoft surface but I do not like the keyboard and it is too heavy to read in bed, so when I travel I take my laptop and tablet with me. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Laptops have the advantage of being compact all-in-one products. I suspect even the cheapest laptop can be used for sending and receiving photos, email and Internet browsing IF it has a real operating system like Windows or Linux (Andriod). I can't imagine one that won't do anything you want to do over the Internet, except the cheapest might have trouble playing high-level video games or viewing movies off the Internet. If you are familiar with Windows avoid Apple products at all cost! I occasionally have to use an Apple laptop and I find it much harder to work on that Windows.

I have a relatively inexpensive ($600) Toshiba laptop that I use for all email, Internet browsing, etc. I also carry it with me on trips and vacation. Laptops have a MUCH better keyboard that tablets (but not nearly as nice as a real desktop keyboard). I find the typical laptop touch pad to be extremely cumbersome. I usually plug in a USB trackball.

For serious CAD work, writing and photo editing I have a high end ($$$) desktop workstation.

18 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

What do you mean by your mobile will not upload at all, or can you elaborate on your issues with XBox/PS4/Mobile? It may help debug the issue; I can upload photos from my phone so I'm a little concerned that purchasing a tablet won't fix whatever issue you're encountering on your mobile (as they are similar devices). I also upload from laptop/pc (and I would assume either would work fine for you as well).

I just tried to add a piture from my PS4 and get the message cannot use this feature. I think this may be a browser issue.

On my mobile a screen pops up for a second then disappears. I have examined every feature on the phone to see if I had something turned off but can find nothing wrong. It is a cheap £54 Android so have always thought this was the problem. Wouldn't need an app would I? 

Good point with the tablet. Might have to wait untill summer when my bills drop down substantialy and try and get a cheap PC.

Thanks for all the replies and information everyone. 

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

Paul, what web browser are you using on your phone. Try using Chrome, it should let you upload photos. I do it all the time on my Android phone, although mine is a Samsung Fold 4. 

Regards, Keith

2 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Paul, what web browser are you using on your phone. Try using Chrome, it should let you upload photos. I do it all the time on my Android phone, although mine is a Samsung Fold 4. 

I'm using Chrome. I've been playing around with all the various settings but nothing. I've even saved the pictures to a files  named MSW,msw and model ship world upper and lower case but that does not work either. I can only think that my phone has a fault on it stopping it sending pictures. Although I am able to send pictures to Facebook no problem. 

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

On 12/1/2022 at 1:58 PM, Gaetan Bordeleau said:

probably, they all can send photos to this forum  as long as it is .jpeg format

I do not know Android phones but photos format are probably not .jpeg

by example  Iphone are .heic which needs to be converted to .jpeg before sending it

Silly me, I Hadn't coniderered that. Good advice I will check on that.

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 5:58 AM, Gaetan Bordeleau said:

probably, they all can send photos to this forum  as long as it is .jpeg format

I do not know Android phones but photos format are probably not .jpeg

by example  Iphone are .heic which needs to be converted to .jpeg before sending it

I prefer jpeg rather than heic for all my iPhone photos for compatibility when downloading or sending them.

To do this on an iPhone or iPad, go to Settings - Camera - Formats and select "Most Compatable"

Maybe not as good, technically, as heic but meets my needs with lower hassle factor.

Richard