Harvey by ASAT - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:50 - Kitbash

Hi Lou

I must admit that I am thinking of changing the rake on my masts. Perhaps 12o on the fore mast and 15 on the main. Still not as much as POB vessels but a bit more like my source books say. We are all building variations into our models which is what I think happened with the original Baltimore schooners.

Re your chainplates, can you tell me what diameter brass wire and sheet thickness did you used. I think that what I have is a bit thin.

Blackie

Edited by Blackie

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

Blackie, I like all the little nuances in our builds, sort of a reflection of our individuality.... I keep bouncing between your rigging drawings and the POB plans, the bowspit is getting pretty busy.....

The wire I used is .75mm and the sheet stock is .26mm

More rigging - bowsprit and forestays completed.... rigging is definitely not my best suit, but I am learning more with every effort.....

post-574-0-92421000-1386135983_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-24394800-1386135999_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-40971500-1386136026_thumb.jpg

A few close ups of the area.... It's been fun so far, lots of oh crap's and do over's but I'm liking the overall effect.... now on to the foremast backstays and main mast....

Lou

post-574-0-60397200-1386136233_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-40197000-1386136246_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-93008000-1386136260_thumb.jpg

It's looking really, really good Lou. You have certainly jumped ahead and going great.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but further to your chainplates, are they pre-cut strips that you used? If not, how did you cut the 0.26 sheet?

Blackie

Edited by Blackie

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

I used some sheet stock that my wife had - I scored it first with a utility knife (thanks Krug) and then I cut along the scoreline with scissors... clean up the edges and shape the ends with sandpaper

Ron, (rlb) - I forgot to thank you for looking in, thanks for the kind words, I hope to one day be able to have the tenacity to rip out a mistake and start over - it always amazes me to see you guys do that and it ends up looking like you never made the mistake....

One small addendum, Lou (if you didn't already know):  after scoring the brass sheet with the utility knife, I put some straight wood on one side of the score and bent the metal along the score until around a 90 degree bend.  After two alternating bends the sheet simply separated at the score line.  This resulted in a very clean and straight 'cut' (at least as straight as the score line).  I did do a quick once over with a small file to eliminate any sharp edges.

Probably better than using scissors (if possible).

Looking Great!

Mark

She is looking so Sweet!! Did you pass the Fore Stays thru the bowsprit and then back to the Hull?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hi Lou,

I just found your Harvey build.  Your work is beautiful -- so crisp, clean and precise!  Great choices on the wood replacements from the kit, and great scratchbuilt enhancements.

I'm happy to have caught on to follow your progress the rest of the way!

Cheers,

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

Mark, I will try that - the scissors does really curl the strip and you need to straighten it up. Do you bend the sheet or the strip that you scored?  (if that makes sense).

Thanks Floyd, yes I passed them through - the POB plans showed them as going through the jib boom and terminating at the hull with deadeyes. Next time I will try and simulate some sheaves in the jib boom though - would look better....

Robert, thanks for looking in and the affirmation, I will check out your Mars build as well....

I was wondering if on the real ship there were sheaves or was it just terminated at the bow sprit. maybe several wraps and from the bow sprit to the hull something similar to what you did to the cat heads. I will do some digging.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

No she was never real. Just a poor example of a Baltimore Clipper. If the Pride has sheaves, that is good enough for me and yet another item I have learned! Thanks!

Installed and rigged the gaff  - rigging is starting to close in on me, my ham fistedness is showing itself. I have had to redo a few things (again) after inadvertently bumping into stuff as I focus on something else. Time to slow down and approach with caution....  here are a few shots of the gaff, the throat and peak halliards and the gaff vangs. 

Lou

post-574-0-86045600-1386398025_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-65252600-1386398038_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-12513000-1386398049_thumb.jpg

Edited by ASAT

Looking real good Lou! Any redo's have definitely paid off. Sometimes when we're on a roll or hyper focused we forget to breathe. Way to regroup and come through :)

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Lou

You really are charging along and its looking great.

I am waiting for some more materials so I am doing some more thinking and drawings for the rigging of my Harvey. On yours, are you adding sails? Are you rigging the foremast lower yard (crossjack yard) as a spread yard (no sail below) or as a square sail (with course)? Therefore, are you fitting it with a sling or a halyard? I have reread some sources and I am not putting on sails and am rigging the crossjack yard as a spread yard. The sources say that I should have a fixed sling - after all it does not need to move up and down.

Are you fitting a main stay? My source books show with and without in drawings and paintings.

Blackie

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I had this kit all ready to sell on line this week and then I remembered your build log and decided not to sell it. I would not have got much for it anyways.

I have not placed any logs on M.S.W. in a while . Just finished my Essex and Fair American builds and your build log has inspired me to research more on the Harvey.

Thanks for all the great ideas for this model. One question, can you reveal where you acquire the fine wood strips and planking you use? Thanks A.J.