Harvey by ASAT - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:50 - Kitbash

LOL, I think I can read that compass from the bow!

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

What, no cup holders?     That certainly was quick.  Looks great makes everything tidy.

Mark

Well, there is a bottle of rum in one of the cubbies ....

LOL, I think I can read that compass from the bow!

The helmsman is usally drinking the rum, the large face compass is so he can still read it  :)

Very nice work and attention detail my friend. 

:)

Thanks for looking in and the kind words Chuck - Pkg. arrived OK, thanks again... attempting to correct the frames on the Hahn drawings. Time consuming but I think it will be doable...  

• 1 month later...

Another little update on my Harvey, I didn't like the guns provided in the kit so I used some out of an old Pandora kit I had laying around. they are a bit smaller than the kit ones and had wooden carriages vs. the cast metal ones that were in the kit, even at that they look a bit large for this ship but I had em so they are in there now. I'm only going to rig the breeching rope to keep a cleaner look to the guns.... it's starting to get a bit crowded up on deck but I'm still happy with the look....

post-574-0-72987400-1383873489_thumb.png

Edited by ASAT

Also been working on the masts and starting to do some rigging, they are just stuffed in the holes for a pic - still need to do a bunch of rigging prior to gluing them in, hopefully I will have this done by Christmas - I am planning to make it a present for somebody.... 

post-574-0-85579600-1383874065_thumb.png

post-574-0-02950100-1383874090_thumb.png

post-574-0-24994300-1383874115_thumb.png

Where are the Cannon balls? What have you decided about the rigging? Most of my research seems to indicate that a true Baltimore Clipper only had 3 Jibs not the 4 in the kit, that was much later.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Floyd, the kit I have only has three jibs... I am using a combination of what the kit "plans" show and the ME Pride of Baltimore plans.... not sure if I will put cannonballs on deck, they might be stowed under the midships deck grating :)

Lou

Lou,

Just a slight nudge in something that is easy to do and I think produces some great results - focusing on the masts.  You have done a great job using different wood colors to really make things pop.  For my tops I have included the following (still very much in the rough):

post-6104-0-40621800-1383913756_thumb.jpg

post-6104-0-99156900-1383913757_thumb.jpg

I put in a fid, a bolster (to alleviate the ratline sharp angle as it goes over the top) and then some strips to allow air between the mast and the ratlines to keeps things dry.  Very easy and straight forward and allows continuation of the contrasts you have used so well on the main hull.

Your decision of course!

mark

Thanks Joe, appreciate it.

Mark - I like your ideas, I will put in the bolster and strips, I went the other way on contrast and used a darker wood (bubinga) for the cheeks and 'trees, so I will probably continue that theme. Did you put single strips on the fore/aft portion of the mast or are they doubled as well? Also is the fid that little dowel shape on the bottom of the top mast? What was it's purpose?

Lou

Lou - single strip fore AND aft (my guiding principle was it had to look right - and it did to me).

Yes, the fid is the little rectangular piece towards the bottom of the top mast.  The fid is to lock the topmast into place once it is belayed up from below (it stops the mast from going back down into the seating hole).  It is a little bit of trivia you can amaze people with at parties....

Your theme looks great - I just used what I had for the masts, which was a walnut dowel (I think the kit's were heavily warped).

Mark

Edited by kruginmi

I reworked the masts to incorporate the details that Mark outlined, I think they look alot better! Thanks Mark!! 

Foremast:post-574-0-79067600-1384055890_thumb.jpg

Main:post-574-0-66214900-1384056011_thumb.jpg

Hi Lou

Thanks for your comments on my log. Your build is looking really good.

I too have abandoned my kit and really do like your windlass. I have been tossing up for a while whether or not to redo mine.

What are you doing for the bowsprit gammoning which is one of the next things for me to do as I start on the rigging? I am unsure how it would wrap/tie around the stem and be tied off. I have done some drawings of the rigging and will get going as soon as some materials arrive.

Blackie

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

Blackie - I was planning on cutting a slot in the stem and installing some cleats on the sprit and do a twisted gammoning and lashing the gammoning in the middle, also am going to gammon the jibboom to the sprit but no twist on that one. I have referred to your drawings repeatedly during my build, I appreciate you uploading them and I hope you continue to post them as you do your rigging....  :) they are way better than the single pictorial rendering I received with my version of the kit. Very little detail and almost no help as far as the rigging goes. 

Lou

Lou

I had not realised that anyone much was interested in the drawings except perhaps Floyd. Since I first uploaded them I have been modifying them a bit so as you asked I will add the revised images to my log for you. Obviously as I will upload them you are most welcome to use them in any way you wish. Since I first did them I have retired and no longer have easy access to a really big scanner. I need to redraw a couple to eliminate the scribbles and then scan to A4. I should be able to do it in a day or two. 

I asked about the bowsprit gammon as I couldn't see how I could do the final lashing to tighten the gammon as there is no gap between cutwater and bowsprit in my model. However, I have now decided to add a spacer between the cutwater and bowsprit just like I have between the bowsprit and jibboom and this will solve two problems for me. The gap created will allow the lashing to be wrapped around the gammon and the extra steeve of the bowsprit will make it a little easier for me to get the bowsprit shrouds to angle down rather than up or inline with the bowsprit. I will do a drawing of what I mean and add it to my log.

Blackie

Edited by Blackie

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing some rigging..... decided not to install the bowsprit spacer as I had already chamfered the deck end of the bow sprit, been tying a bunch of ratlines which I do not relish - don't know how you guys persevere on those three master's....   :)

post-574-0-39693800-1385875042_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-54713600-1385875054_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-48325300-1385875089_thumb.jpg

Hi Lou

You have ben busy and it looks good. I also am not looking forward to doing the ratlines and I'm also working on the fore gaff and the upper yards and will post some pictures soon on my log.

What did you use for the chain plates at the shrouds? My kit only has twisted wire which I don't want to do?

Blackie

Blackie, I used brass strips and brass wire rings - bent them to sort of follow the POB plans. I will take a picture and post it....

Thanks Lou. They do look good. My source books show something that I think is way too tricky for me to replicate so I'll try your idea.

Thanks again.

Thanks Elia, good to see you back on the Arethusa.... Blackie - if you want a mini how to on those "tricky" chainplates, check out Elias metal work on his Arethusa log.

Lou

Lou,

Thought I'd stop in and see what you're building over here. Wow, this is a beautiful build! I'll definitely be following along ;). Thank you for following me through my first build. I greatly appreciate your input.

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

What is the rake of your masts? From the pictures it is hard to tell. I would have guessed a bit more rake. I so wish I was at this point on my build. Thanks for solving all the problems and ploughing the road for me.

Thanks Bill, I can't wait to see your heart and soul revealed in your POB build, I know it's going to be great! 

Floyd, I set the rake at 9 degrees as indicated on Blackies foremast drawing.... I like it better than the massive 14-16 degree rake on POB.  Get yours planked dude, it goes pretty quick from there.... Blackie and Krug are doing all the hard work for us....

Lou

Hi Lou,

I'm just seeing your Harvey for the first time, you started it when I was on a long modeling hiatus, and I'm slowly checking out models for which I missed the start.  

Great job.   Beautiful planking, pleasing, precise work all around. 

You really nailed the "painting with wood"  idea.   I was going to say that the careful use of red paint on the deck furniture was a good choice, until I went back and paid closer attention to the photos and what you wrote.  So, now I say that the careful use of redheart wood was a great choice!  It's really striking how red it is!

Looks like your start on the rigging is up to the standards of the woodwork--should be a beautiful model when done.

Ron