HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Wxchsr - 1:48

That looks like a nice relaxed curve with no bumps or weird tensioned humps following your batten. How does it look from bow to stern looking throughone nearly closed eye?
Can you make a picture of that? Does one edge of the batten follow the tick marks exactly and/or is it averaging them?

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

On 2/23/2023 at 9:27 AM, FrankWouts said:

That looks like a nice relaxed curve with no bumps or weird tensioned humps following your batten. How does it look from bow to stern looking throughone nearly closed eye?
Can you make a picture of that? Does one edge of the batten follow the tick marks exactly and/or is it averaging them?

Frank.

Hi frank!

sorry I saw this a day late. I removed the batten yesterday after marking the top. I would say it lines up with most. About one out of every 3-4 would be up to a mm high or low, in which case the new mark is what makes it smooth. Then I did the other side and did my best to make sure it matched. This photo is ugly because I haven’t faired the framing yet (makes some look crooked), but the top, of the bottom row, is where the top of the batten was. 1B2931E1-BE5B-4059-96F3-5290F49F0E8D.thumb.jpeg.097606f64ce9369a5ea78abb1a33425e.jpeg

So important to get this stage right, looks like you’re doing well on getting it done. Nice work. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 2/26/2023 at 10:09 AM, glbarlow said:

So important to get this stage right, looks like you’re doing well on getting it done. Nice work. 

Thanks!  Going super slow. Still framing and fairing. Rechecking and fairing more :)  started on the stern frames but really taking time to check things from every possible angle and lighting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Still moving along.  Had to take the summer off but now that it's turning colder, I'm back in my "office" and back to working on the model.  Starboard is done for the time being.  Port is planked above the wales.  I need to sand that area, plank a row below it, then add and paint the second layer and black strake as I did on the port. I also need to do a little cleanup around the gunport openings where I see the cuts varied a little.  Overall very happy with the progress!

IMG_7290.JPG