Amerigo Vespucci by DanielD - OcCre - 1:100

Oh this is all much too clever for me!!! My lighting, if it still works after fairing/planking/sanding will be an all or nothing affair. I would love to see how you have wired everything and managed to hide it.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Neat solution to the light bleed. Wow you are using heavy wire, I hope you can fit it in everywhere.

I can't find any pictures under the transparent bit of that building either.

It seems a message I added got lost in the ether but your lighting project looks amazing, far too clever for a guy like me. My lighting if it works after all the fairing/planking/ sanding will be an all or nothing job!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Good evening everyone, I’ve been working on miniature fire hose holders and I’ve discovered that, well…my fingers are just too big. 😳 After about 6 or 7 iterations, I think I finally have one I like. Now only about 5 more like this to make.

B792B416-4F07-4BF8-AF19-EFC339AA4F79.jpeg

Hello all, I spent today finishing up the fire house holders on the lower deck, and installing some railings. Here are a few updated pictures of the progress, some with lights on.

6E9F22D4-F1A6-47B6-AC99-11947474AB0B.jpeg

230798C5-E184-4437-9B2A-B9DF6E0B4FD7.jpeg

905086CA-1B15-4980-BF65-35CC1B1F209E.jpeg

ADD1D11B-BAF0-49F1-84DC-048269C4DD81.jpeg

Good evening everyone. I’ve been working on the starboard lower deck hallway with a couple of doors and other details. These pictures make everything look so big when actually we are talking about 35mm wide hallway so all these details are very small. The LEDs I’m using are just 3mm! Also for scale, the deck planks are 3mm wide.

165BE940-0D3C-4BDE-939B-74B54E845CB8.jpeg

62D0867A-94DC-4AB3-A0EE-3902F943C7A2.jpeg

Have you managed to work out if the ship has any navigation lights and if so do you know where they are? I can't find any.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

16 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

Have you managed to work out if the ship has any navigation lights and if so do you know where they are? I can't find any.

Mike, I have searched for weeks to answer this very question. I am pleased to say that I now have the answer. The stern (white light) was easy to find in the virtual tour, link above somewhere in this log. There are actually 3 white and one amber light just above the small deck at the stern of the ship. Then there is also a lantern on the boom of the mizzenmast. Finally, there is a red (port) and green (starboard) light that is on the fore deck, just to the side of the chart room. To avoid copyright issues, I have only included a small section of the images, just enough to show what I found.

49470EC4-DA86-4AAC-B29B-226BF0B46FC8.jpeg

48ECB6A9-17A5-4B69-B0EA-12AE8BE09E34.jpeg

4FAC6674-BCBF-4774-AB3E-DD44A360FDCD.jpeg

B8618833-D614-4139-98F3-A4506CA377D8.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Well done, I'm not surprised that I couldn't find them. Now the question arises, do I put them on or not?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I am sure that someone with greater knowledge of ships than I will know the answer. On each side of the ship there are two projections with steps leading up to them with something like large stanchions on the top. Would these be the navigation lights ? Or what else could they be?

DSCN3250.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

This is a picture from the instructions of the above.

DSCN3252.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Here are a couple of better pictures.

DSCN3253.JPG

DSCN3254.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

It could be an elevated compass? That's purely a guess on my part but that is one strange looking device.  

4 hours ago, Keith Black said:

It could be an elevated compass? That's purely a guess on my part but that is one strange looking device.  

Mike and Keith, this might help. The AV is of course a training ship and there are four of the stations on board to help train in navigation.

0E8CC752-3721-44B8-B554-7DCECE098E7E.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Mike, the problem I’m facing now is where to install the red/green marker lights. I haven’t been able to find any close up shots, and when I look on the wonderful virtual tour, I don’t see them where I think they should be. So options not visible are 1) under the compass station or 2) closer to the front of the chart room behind some storage bins???

87C1EF8D-DDA6-42D7-B41A-C12FC8F4CDDD.jpeg

Mike, now that I look at the night images above, I’m certain the lights are installed behind the bins. In the images, the compass stations are visible and the marker lights are forward of that… 

Thanks for that Daniel although I'm not sure I understand what you mean about 'behind the bins'.

By the way I hope you don't mind all my posts, I am not trying to steal your posts but I hope they might help us both.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

6 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

Thanks for that Daniel although I'm not sure I understand what you mean about 'behind the bins'.

By the way I hope you don't mind all my posts, I am not trying to steal your posts but I hope they might help us both.

The last image in this thread is of the starboard side of the ship from just outside the door of the chart room. On the right is the navigation station and on the left a chest like looking storage bin. Just behind that chest, from our point of view, is where I believe the navigation light is installed. Hope this helps.

Edited by DanielD

Good evening mates, this weekend I started the planning of the aft deck. I drew the AV inspired pattern on the sub-deck and started planking. A long way to go, but it’s a start.

61FDEDED-298B-44AD-A013-9CCDAE1D5880.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Look what I found on a picture of the Mantua version! One navigation light!!

Amerigo-Vespucci-Deluxe-1-84-Mantua-Model-Ship-Kit-Detail-5-min.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike, now that I know where to look and what to look for, I have been finding the side marker lights in a lot of images. The main problem is that, unlike the image above by Mantua, the housing in all the pictures I have seen is black. This has a very profound effect of making it nearly invisible. And since it’s black, the details are obscured in all of the images. This is a close up zoom of an image I found, the best one that I’ve found, but still hard to make out what the housing looks like or how it’s attached to the ship. I believe it is similar to what Mantua has designed but painted in all black except for the lens when the light is on.

E435F2AA-9175-45BE-9689-33180570B7AF.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Yes it's a problem Daniel but what I have done is make up a couple of housing like the mantua ones that will fit on the deck behind  bins as you suggested. It might not be totally accurate but I reckon it will do. I have really struggled to get all the wiring in place and secure before starting the hull planking but I am nearly there now. Just got to figure out how to wire the rear white light. I think I will have to cut a slot for the wires in the back false keel and hope I can push them in in the end so that they don't show.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike, the daunting task of hiding the wires…I feel your pain. While we now have the location for the side marker lights, I see that it needs to hang off the side to allow room for the shrouds. Hard to see in this image, but it’s the best I’ve found so far.

Mike, do you have a build log for your AV?

53A07D4C-F183-4587-B1DC-32929D04FF78.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

It does look like the mantua ones are on wire brackets putting the lights over the side but, the only way I can see to hide the wires is to put the lights on the deck. It might be cheating but will anybody really notice?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Sorry Daniel I missed your question. No, I haven't done a build log for mine as I'm not very good at them. If you don't mind I could probably put a couple of pictures of where I am at with mine on your log but I don't want to steal your posts any more than I already have.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Here is the latest in my research on the AV side marker lights. It’s the clearest image to date I’ve found.

BF477B39-76A0-4B0E-85D3-F01BEC6280FF.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Mike, some of the wires can be visible, they are on the real AV. Just look at the aft marker light for one example. While I’ll do my best to hide as much of the wires as possible, I’m not worried about the ones close the the fixtures them selves. I’m also planning on the green/white/red night lighting the AV is famous for, those lights are strung together in series with the wires just laying on the deck surface. Let me see if I can find that image…

2EC3F6E5-2DCA-47F2-8FE7-533D1D9EAFBD.jpeg

9ECBD135-DD2C-46EA-8F2C-235F17979BBF.jpeg

Well mates, for those that have been following along as I have been looking for an image of the side marker lights on the AV…I have good news. Below is the very best image I have found including a blown up version with some photo enhancements. I don’t think I’ll find anything better. Now if I could only find some images of the bow bridge,

E80B1D2E-3BA5-4588-B382-413112CCA521.jpeg

F676B0EB-E0AE-4C46-A62A-18C9611FA01A.png

Edited by DanielD

Well done with your searches. At least we definitely know how and where they are fixed. I have modified my housing for the lights a bit but there is no way I can build the metal cage round them. But, all being well my AV should at least have the lights!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Good evening mates, this week I’ve not posted on my progress because well, it’s kind of boring. Made good progress on the aft deck inlay. I’m happy with the outcome.

BA21AB0E-4FA8-47B2-8F70-9B0C6AEA9579.jpeg