Amerigo Vespucci by DanielD - OcCre - 1:100

Good evening everyone. I became tired of working on the deck, so I switched gears to do a little experiment. The goal for my AV is to have the doors open on the main bridge. The OcCre version of this ship does not plan for this, so on my own I go… The first image below is the real bridge. In my experiment I’m working on the floor. This is very small detailed work with my huge fingers, but I’m fairly happy with the outcome. The second image is my version of the floor compared to a US dime, our smallest coin. Third image displays the floor set in place in my bridge structure and finally a close up looking through the door/windows.

Thanks a lot for stopping by…

CBB9F6B6-AEB4-4D2F-BFC2-415B2B801655.jpeg

5E4CA73E-73F9-432B-BEB9-2E53470F8062.jpeg

26C77994-8C00-48D0-99B2-D78076805C7A.jpeg

CC206572-E601-4774-9DF7-CE4DF4C444ED.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

I have to say, I thought about doing something inside there but, seeing as how I cut part of the base out for the lighting I changed my mind! I did add doors which as you correctly pointed out that Occre had missed. I have also added doors to the other house with the glass roof which weren't there either. 

I have finally started to plank the hull of my AV. 

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Good evening all, here is todays update on the main bridge. Added some bracing to make it look more like the real thing as well as lighting and the very dark blue/purple paint that makes the bridge dark to enhance visibility. It’s slowly coming along.

One note, I’m a little disappointed in the OcCre kit in that they didn’t even try to get the steering wheels correct. 😞 

A7B5C4B6-AE9E-4975-90AB-3E09B1FC18B9.jpeg

B06C1627-478C-4494-8975-582338C045DD.jpeg

E890B058-CE84-4F8F-B90A-7D6A22A42FE0.jpeg

On 3/18/2023 at 1:32 AM, clearway said:

nothing new with the ships wheels regards occre huh- i take it they are the standard offering supplied with all their kits😬

Keith

Keith, I think this case is worse than the Terror where at least OcCre provided an 8 spoked wheel instead of the historically accurate 10 spoked version. In the OcCre version of the America Vespucci kit, the real AV has four 8 spoked wheels, but what was included…well, see below… 😞 but not even a proper helm.

4FF6417C-9F34-4C31-8CE9-40CA6258FAD8.jpeg

141189A6-BBBD-42BA-BC5C-0AD8E4A1CF13.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Hello everyone, welcome aboard. Here is an update for my weekends effort on my main bridge. I can’t finish the inside as I had to order some eight spiked wheels as OcCre did not provide them in the kit. However, I did make some good progress.

Built some equipment for the bridge and started the woodwork over the bridge shell. I’m having a quandary though, maybe you can help. The AV bridge of course has glass windows. The OcCre kit provided clear thin plexi to use for the windows. Should I install the windows which will hamper the ability to look inside? Or just leave them out, will still look like windows, but easier to view the bridge?

A0382BB5-A8F9-4344-A281-F18DF4E7B75E.jpeg

62C8A08E-AE87-4AE4-871C-FDF3B332F0F4.jpeg

3873C630-0339-487A-9F60-51D0C1C6A13D.jpeg

Now that you have done interior detail I would leave the windows as they are. Glazing them would be very tricky now.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

7 minutes ago, clearway said:

ouch at the ships wheels- i know it is 1/100 but jeez- i would find some tubing and drill into it for wire spokes for the outer rim and some smaller tubing for the hub which can be parted off when drilled and glued if that makes sense?

Better yet, throw that rubbish in the bin and place an order with Cornwall. They have some pretty nice wheels as I remember.

Good evening mates, this week was spent working on the shell of the main bridge. Oh, and my helms wheels came in today. Sadly though, I need 5, but I only ordered 4. What was I thinking 🤔.  Also, I’m experimenting with some liquid brass leaf. Basically is like brass paint and supposed to have the luster of real brass…I think I like this stuff. 

BD9AB8DA-B279-4249-9BD6-C9738CF87334.jpeg

DA3408FD-2967-477E-83FD-E3B783E374AF.jpeg

6DE0EC62-65F8-4DF5-BF53-658F948251A9.jpeg

81554051-77B9-41F1-ACF9-CEE3DA2D4D2F.jpeg

4 hours ago, clearway said:

looking nice there Daniel- regards the wheelhouse windows i would glaze them as it will help stop those dust bunnies having an orgy in there 😁

Keeith

Keith, I am thinking the same thing…

I appreciate that neither of us has got that far yet but are you aware that Occre have only allowed for two sets of steps at the side of the ship but only one set for the other side. I want the ship to have two sets of ladders on each side so, I have saved a pair of the supplied metal ladders from the main bridge house and made my own for that.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Good afternoon mates, I have finally finished the inside of the wheelhouse. Now that I have that out of my system, back to working on the deck and lighting so I can start the planking project…

41C8A529-6B5A-43A8-94F8-6E6B999F708A.jpeg

6D91566B-B0E0-4939-9EB8-630924BF3E6B.jpeg

On 3/25/2023 at 9:02 AM, Mike Dowling said:

I appreciate that neither of us has got that far yet but are you aware that Occre have only allowed for two sets of steps at the side of the ship but only one set for the other side. I want the ship to have two sets of ladders on each side so, I have saved a pair of the supplied metal ladders from the main bridge house and made my own for that.

Mike, I appreciate you discovering this. I’ll keep it in mind. 

While working on my Amerigo Vespucci inspired fore deck, I discovered that OcCre has made a mistake on the deck equipment, that as far as I can tell the other model manufacturers got correct. There are two fore anchors on the starboard side but only one on the port side, but the OcCre instructions and kit contain two anchor kits for each side. I have double checked photographic images, and it’s true, two on the starboard but only one on the port side.

281C7C5A-B0C9-4433-A3C8-B4C1812399C1.jpeg

9DD83C86-E6F3-4D5B-884B-9C9374BFFAB3.jpeg

6F8E3412-0ADD-452E-BF20-94E5484CBC60.jpeg

72849703-54F4-40D8-A310-325F835D614C.jpeg

Edited by DanielD

Thank you for that Daniel, I think 3 are enough to stop a ship!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Good evening mates, I have a question for those more knowledgeable about ships than I am. In the image below, what is the area on the deck marked by the red oval? The Amerigo Vespucci has at least 4 of these that I have found so far, but I have no idea what they could be. Any ideas?

815B09F9-B585-4E39-B736-F72F94A6DA19.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dave_E said:

What is that and how does it work?

I really have no idea; however, from the hint Keith gave, I did some research. It appears that a “scuttle” can be a type of water proof hatch, use for various tasks, one of which can be escape. Other uses I found include loading coal, diesel or food and even be opened for ventilation. I presume that the hatch opens in some way allowing direct access to the deck below and easy loading/unloading of supplies. Also, it appears that scuttles can be installed on the side of the ship as well, but they are more commonly called…a port hole.

Edited by DanielD

Good afternoon mates, I have finally finished the drawing my design of my Amerigo Vespucci inspired fore deck inlay pattern. Now time to start building.

B1C91DE9-F2F0-44AD-AD38-A918A88AF0CA.jpeg

6 hours ago, Dave_E said:

What is that and how does it work?

Dave, they're covered openings that lead to the coal bins alongside the boilers below. Each scuttle leads to a particular coal bin. The coal tenders would tie-up alongside the ship they were serving and off load coal via shoots through the scuttle opening. If interested you could visit my Tennessee build, my work on replicating the coal scuttles is post #169.

Photo of the Tennessee, you can see the aft coal scuttles at the left feet of the second and third sailors with drawn swords.  

204435_0.thumb.jpg.554fea2179c3bd646f39c5b790571acb.jpg

Edited by Keith Black

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone, it’s been a while since my last post. This week I was working on the fore deck with all the extra Amerigo Vespucci inspired inlay. I’m happy with the final product and started to temporarily place the deck hardware. To hold each piece of equipment in place I’m adding a 1mm post to the bottom each piece and drilling a hole in the deck for placement. So far, it’s all working well. Thanks for spending a little time with me on this journey.

7ED48DFB-D20E-4821-ABC7-857A0789B0E9.jpeg

2822DD0D-DED7-4A0B-BAB7-3C7F68856EBC.jpeg

Great idea to fix things to the deck early in the process ...  A friend showed me a model built by her late father, where a fife rail had come loose because it was just glued by the end grain of the post to the deck - and tension from the rigging (humidity changes?) had pulled it loose.

For my build, guess I'll have to rely on a piece of wire in the post to help, and perhaps some ohter reinforcement.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Do you not think it a bit of a risk putting fittings on the deck before the hull planking? I would be afraid of knocking them off/breaking them.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

2 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

Do you not think it a bit of a risk putting fittings on the deck before the hull planking? I would be afraid of knocking them off/breaking them.

Mike, the equipment is only temporarily mounted, with a 1mm rod mounted into the bottom of each piece and drilled into the deck. Just a little twist and the pieces come off. I won’t have them in place when doing the planking. I have lighting that I need to place, not in the way of the equipment, and I have to have lighting and wiring all working before doing the hull as once the planking is done, no more access to the wires.

Edited by DanielD

You are so right!!! I had to check all my wiring to make sure it all worked but now my fate is sealed as I have finished the first hull planking. I was terrified that I might break some of my soldered connections when I sanded it but so far (!!!) everything still works. I have spent some time trying to decide whether to do the second planking or leave it as it is. I just can't make my mind up. The instructions say to do a second layer and then smother it in filler before final sanding. But if the first layer is ok and the hull is going to be painted any way what do you think?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: