1941 Chris-Craft Barrel Back by ESF - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters

To those who dropped in or gave likes, thank you for your interest and support.

Knocklouder, thank you again for your ongoing interest and your kind comments.  I am happy with the result.  I proved to myself that I am capable of doing a double planked, bright finished boat and I thoroughly enjoy every opportunity to look at it.

Below are the remaining beauty shots.

CockpitFinal.jpeg.9ce92b9c7eaba55023f681c4479d692f.jpeg

AftDeckFinal.jpeg.d948d9d5b912973c857fef7dc22807f2.jpeg

A heart stopping moment was when I installed the aft deck vents backward (open face forward).  A fast chisel and touch up urethane were aided by the fact that the vents almost completely covered the damage by slightly altering their fore and aft position.

SternPortQtrFinal.jpeg.9c61c0d176192d8d4e9aa595fd202936.jpeg

SternAboveFinal.jpeg.67fd33e77991f38be42a18e6457c8449.jpeg

SternFinal.jpeg.03f3bef1bd490915e17f25c3093b3118.jpegThe name pays homage to the Admiral’s lofty perch as Nana to the grandchildren, and to her love for Cape Cod where we have vacationed for many years.  The custom decal came from a local printer, using a file I emailed to them.

StarbdFinal.jpeg.a7ea70e9dfd0123a876e6ff74c8478aa.jpeg

See, there really is a starboard side to the boat.

Thanks for viewing.

Steve

Wow, beautiful result!   One of my early builds, many years ago, is one of the Dumas Chris Craft boats.  I've always loved the mahogany speed boats (who doesn't?) and hope to build another some day.   If so, I can only hope it comes out half as nice as yours.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

To those who dropped in or gave likes, thank you for your interest and support.

To all who hit the WOW! button, double thanks.  I’ll never tire of it.

Roger, Gary, Paul, Nic, Jack and HOF:  Thanks so much for your kind comments and enthusiasm.  They are at once humbling and energizing to get cracking on the next build.

A shout out goes to Bluejacket for a high quality kit, great customer support and very quick order fulfillment.  I often refer to the tips in their online library of newsletters at the website.

Postscript:  An irony of the build is that the “clear” spar urethane finish got a slight amber tone when cured, which gave a nice warm finish to the woodwork, but also added a slight tone to the caulk lines I so carefully resurfaced back to white during the build.  The good news is that the urethane should help protect the caulk strips.  Lessons, lessons, lessons - they are what makes shipbuilding so much fun!

Thanks for viewing.

Steve

Amazing and quick!

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Todd, thank you.  Having never done a finish like this before, I was amazed at what 9 coats of spar urethane can do with scuff sanding between coats.

gak1965, thank you too.  It was actually normal gestation, about nine months from start to finish in November 2022.  I hesitated putting it up in real time since I had great fear that  the woodwork and finish might end up a total muck.  

Steve