Hello from Virginia

JoeS

Welcome aboard Squid!

I'm an ex-RCN Skimmer type that spent my career on the East Coast.  I was a SONAR tech (Maintainer - not an operator) so if you're familiar with Monty Python, I'm the guy who fixed the machine that goes "PING".

Enjoy your time here on the forums, I'm sure you'll find your niche!  The amount of expertise here is amazing to me at times!

NS

(Brad)

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

23 minutes ago, NavyShooter said:

Welcome aboard Squid!

I'm an ex-RCN Skimmer type that spent my career on the East Coast.  I was a SONAR tech (Maintainer - not an operator) so if you're familiar with Monty Python, I'm the guy who fixed the machine that goes "PING".

Enjoy your time here on the forums, I'm sure you'll find your niche!  The amount of expertise here is amazing to me at times!

NS

(Brad)

Thank you Brad.  Spent many watches on the "PING"!  :)

Heh.. the Orion.. boy does that bring back memories from Charleston.. base is now closed.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Orion_(AS-18)

The Road goes ever on and on

Out from the door where it began.

Now far ahead the Road has gone,

Let others follow it who can!

Let them a journey new begin,

But I at last with weary feet

Will turn towards the lighted inn,

My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Hi Joe, and welcome to MSW. Have you chosen a particular ship for your first model? I'd recommend you read these pages before starting out: 

And when you do get under way, start a build log - it's a great way to get help and advice (and we get to see your progress as you build your model).

If you are building a kit, use this: 

or if you're building from scratch, use this one.

And above all, have fun with it. That's the whole point of this wonderful hobby.

Steven

10 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Hi Joe, and welcome to MSW. Have you chosen a particular ship for your first model? I'd recommend you read these pages before starting out: 

And when you do get under way, start a build log - it's a great way to get help and advice (and we get to see your progress as you build your model).

If you are building a kit, use this: 

or if you're building from scratch, use this one.

And above all, have fun with it. That's the whole point of this wonderful hobby.

Steven

Steven,

Thank you for your warm welcome.  I appreciate the information that you have provided; it is very helpful.  I have chosen the Bluenose - Model Shipways - MS2130.  It is intimidating but I feel with the information, guidance, and expertise available, I can build her.  I have always been fascinated with sailing ships. 

Today, I carve the rabbit in the keel.

Thank you again for the warm welcome and information.

Joe

4 hours ago, JoeS said:

I have chosen the Bluenose - Model Shipways - MS2130.  It is intimidating but I feel with the information, guidance, and expertise available, I can build her. 

I'm sure you're right.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...