I'm not a modeler but...

rmitch2

Hey everyone,

Joined the forum looking for information.  I understand I am new here and do not have any other posts so you don't know if you can trust me or not but all I can do is ask.  A while back a one of my shipmates (I am a US Navy Submarine Veteran) passed.  We say he went on eternal patrol.  Anyway, I was entrusted with 2 model ships from him with the intention to sell and then have the proceeds go directly to the USSVI Charitable Foundation.  I really have no idea the value or best way to sell or find appropriate buyers for these ships.  One is on a stand and has a name Fragata Espanola 1780.  There is a paper tag on it indicating it was purchased in Spain in the 70's and it was made by prisoners and sold in the streets there.  The other is in a glass case about 3' long and 3' high.  By google searches I think it might be a whaler?  Charles Morgan?  It is not in the best of shape and certainly needs some care and attention.  If anyone can help me figure out a direction to go with this or has any info at all on these 2 ships please reply or PM me.  I read the note about sharing emails so after PMing maybe we can email or phone.   I assure you I am not trying to make a penny off this and only want to find a good home and get whatever value these might be worth.  I am going to try to attach a couple pictures.  Thank You

ship 2.jpg

ship 2 tag.jpg

PXL_20230424_151706067.jpg

PXL_20230424_151702768.jpg

PXL_20230424_151700124.jpg

PXL_20230424_151746783.jpg

Hi, Mitch.

The first model is a mass-produced decor model with essentially zero resale value. The second model is likely made from the Artesania Latina kit. Being a kit model and given its current state of disrepair, its resale value is also negligible. If it were repaired, it might be worth a few bucks -- not a lot, just a few, but restoration work is not cheap, and finding buyers for a model like that is not easy.

Wish I could give you better news.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

We have these questions about similar models come up from time to time, Chris is well versed in the topic. While appreciate what you’re trying to do for your friend, as Chris notes there is really no secondary market for models of this quality. Only the best quality models can fetch any price worthwhile and even then it’s a small market or built on commission. Try posting them on eBay, maybe that will generate a few dollars. I suggest making the topic description there more about donating to the charity than about the models. 

I feel for you and the loss of your friend. Thank you both for your service. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Putting them on eBay is your best chance but unfortunately eBay is currently awash in model ships.  Or you could put them up for sale in Facebook Market Place, neither model is going to bring real money. Your friends memory would be best served by either keeping them both and displaying or offering them to mutual friends where they can display to honor his memory. 

The second model might have some interest to someone wanting to tackle a restoration project.  The key here is your location.  Ship models obviously top the list of things hard to ship and anyone who is able to safely ship the model is going to charge far more than it is worth.  If you live in an area with a high level of maritime interest offering it for “local pickup” might find it a home.  New England would be ideal.  If you live in Wyoming or Montana, no.

Roger

6 hours ago, rmitch2 said:

made by prisoners and sold in the streets

Someone earns credit for a clever but very cynical marketing hook.   It is designed to mislead a distracted tourist into confusing prisoner with POW. 

It would be as good as license plates, except ready access to small sharp tools may not be all that wise in a convict population.  The actual shop may be a boiler room or sweatshop environment, so feeling like being a prisoner fits.  

As for the Morgan,  the use of totally inappropriate species of wood is blindingly obvious.  Would that prospective kit buyers could see it.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Mitch,

This one is from Germany.

Models like the "Fragata Espanola" can be found in almost every tourist souvenir-shop along the Baltic and North Sea coast. A very popular one is the HMS Victory which in this quality is simply ugly (no offence intended!). I am afraid there is no market for these models except to attract tourists who live far away from any coast. Again, no offence intended since your late friend was a mariner. But he also would have bought the "Fregata" only as a souvenir from a shoreleave in Spain and not as a collector's item.

I very much doubt that models of this type were / are made by prisoners. My guess is that these rather crudely shaped models stem from some Asian manufacturer(s) and are sold in large quantities to Western shops. Talking about a "Spanish Fragata" you might want to compare the model in question with e.g. kit models by Spanish manufacturer "Artesania Latina" (there are several in this forum) and you would immediately see the difference. Not to mention the various other superb manufacturers' frigates that are available here.

As for the whaler, yes, she might be similar to the Charles Morgan, but the current state of the model and -as Jaager pointed out- the chosen wood etc. are not likely to attract anybody serious about the matter.

I am very sorry to be negative about your intentions to get a few Dollars for a charity but I have my doubts that you will be successful.

As an ex Master Mariner I admire and appreciate the services and efforts you Navy guys have been and are doing for the rest of the world.

Cheers from close to Hamburg
Uwe