Size of rigging / ropes for San Francisco Cross section

Good Day,

Complete newbie and already obsessing about the correct diameter for the ropes and rigging.  I recently purchased the Artesania Latina "San Francisco" cross-section model. I've noticed that the tread is about 0.25mm diameter (except for one that is 0.15). I'm wondering if that is the correct diameter for the 1/50 model because I would like to substitute them with some better Cotton Ropes (or polyester) from Ropes of scale.  

Probably the first volley of another upcoming gazillion questions :) 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Stephane Hubert

WELCOME TO MSW Stephane!

Without knowing which lines you are referring to there is no way to know if the rope sizes you give are correct or not.   While San Francisco is a different nationality and supposedly a galleon from the 16th century there is likely very little, if any, contemporary information on rigging but lacking such contemporary information, there is a spread sheet here at MSW that will give you every line size as well as the masts and spars for English ships from about 1650.  I suspect rigging line sizes will be similar for your Spanish ship if not exact.  Hopefully some member has contemporary information on rigging for the 16th century.    You will need some basic information on the length and breadth of the full size San Francisco or at least something close.   Go to the articles data base here at MSW and hopefully the spread sheet in the rigging section from Danny Vadas will give you something close to the correct sizes.  Keep in mind a lot of rigging was given in circumference, not diameter.  I tried to post the link here, but having trouble getting on the NRG website where this is stored. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

In case someone is interested. I discovered an article concerning the The Wreck of the Galleon San Francisco (1609). (https://www.academia.edu/88468542/The_Wreck_of_the_Galleon_San_Francisco_1609_Anatomy_of_a_Maritime_Disaster_in_the_Manila_Acapulco_Trade_Route)

It suggested to use the data from the San Diego to approximate the statistics: "it is still more appropriate, based on chronological criteria, to use the actual length of San Diego’s keel combined with the late sixteenth-century ship designs, such those of the large Apostles.

Interesting numbers here are:

San Diego’s hull remains were studied by Michel L’Hour, who determined that the ship’s actual keel length measured 23.73 meters, which, according to him, equalled 42 codos (cubits).

For San Diego  he proposed a length of more than 65.5 codos  (37 m) at the upper deck, a breadth of 20 codos  (11.3 m).

I'll be using this data in conjunction with the Spreadsheet that Allan Suggested.

Cheers

On 5/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, allanyed said:

there is a spread sheet here at MSW that will give you every line size

A link always helps, especially for new members.

https://thenrg.org/resources/Documents/articles/MastingAndRiggingSpreadsheet.xlsm

Don't struggle with being too precise.  Visually on a model, a little smaller than exact scale tends to look better, as well as consistent proportions.  Block size, in proportion to the line size is also important.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

Visually on a model, a little smaller than exact scale tends to look better, as well as consistent proportions.  Block size, in proportion to the line size is also important.

Take Gregory's advice, err on the size of too small versus too large.    Sorry I did not post the link for which I have been animadverted but the NRG site was shut down for a while and I was worried posting the link might cause confusion.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan and anyone else who's curious.... here's a link to the issues this past weekend for both MSW and the NRG site.   All should be good now.      

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)