Help with these clamps

Hello,

It costs less to make them. A bent aluminum dish, a threaded rod, a small handle and it's done. 😉

The best aperitif is not necessarily the most expensive, it's the one we share!

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34058-frigate-l-egyptienne-1799-scale-148-by-mic_nao/#comment-969607

Hmm, maybe even easier than that @Mic_Nao

Looks like a countersunk head machine screw used.  Solder a matching nut on the end of the screw in lieu of a handle.  Brass bar stock instead of aluminum plate?  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Those appear to be home made.  Check some of the vendors in the right column of this site's main page - I would start with Ages of Sail as most likely to have something similar.  I have a bunch of similar (but much higher quality) made by Xacto many years ago.

Search clamps bock on our main page - there have been similar home made clamps here some I believe had sketches.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

4 hours ago, No Idea said:

Can anyone help me -

Even more useful may be the home made mini wooden carpenter clamps that Ed Tosti describes here at MSW as well as in his books on the Naiad.  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/232-hms-naiad-by-edt-160-frigate-38-1797-finished/#comment-2879  Post #19.   I believe there is information somewhere by others as well on how to make them, including  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/32386-hms-winchelsea-by-tedrobinson2000-148/#comment-929601  post #14.   They are easy to make in any size.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did some planking using "1 minute" epoxy and used 'finger clamps' ... that is, I held the plank in place with both hands for the 1 - 2 minutes while it solidified enough that the mostly pre-bent plank held fast.  I either listened to music or sometimes had a movie on.  The mixing technique for just a dab of part A and part B (one gets the knack of squeezing out equal parts on a piece of scrap lumber as a mixing board), then 'patting' and swirling this amount with a forefinger tip until the temperature is felt to be rising (meaning the epoxy is 'kicking'), then dabbed to the places on the bulkheads (frames) where the plank is meant to go, wiping the excess off the finger applicator on a shop towel, then "clamping" the plank in place - usually not more than a minute.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65