Cannon Size, Big or little.

Go to solution Solved by Blue Ensign,

Hello, I just found out my cannons are to big, they look really big. So I was wondering if someone could tell me what the right size for the Pegasus, 1:64 scale Then I will order 16. Thanks.     :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• Solution

The kit provided guns are overscale, and  inaccurate in shape and style.

I replaced mine with brass 32mm length guns from RB Models (Poland) but since then resin versions have come onto the market. Vanguard sell six pounder gun sets which you may wish to consider, and I believe Chuck (Syren) also supply resin barrels.

While you're at it you may wish to consider the swivels. The Amati supplied versions are awful, I again used brass versions 15mm from RB models which are spot on for scale. These do involve making your own crutches.

The Amati gun carriages  just about pass muster, but the trucks looked very thin and I also replaced those.

B.E.

Knocklouder

In TFFM Volume II,  David Antscherl mentions the lack of room and thus the possibility that they were six feet from muzzle to cascabel rather than muzzle to breech ring.   FWIW below is a drawing with dimensions for 1:64 of Armstrong Fredericks which would be right for Pegasus 1776.  It shows one with 6 feet from muzzle to breech ring and one with 6 feet from muzzle to cascabel.  Note that the AF pattern has a flash pan, cascabel ring and a chase astragal ring.  The cascabel ring is a predominant feature on both the Armstrong pattern and Armstrong-Frederick pattern cannons.  Sorry for the imperial figures versus metric.  The bore in the drawing below is 3.6" as the 6 pounders were 3.5" in diameter.  

Allan

6pounder6feet.PNG.2971d68c975a1de79a6ffb6c997c7953.PNG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

72 OA doesn't sound right. Gun lengths tended to be in 6" lengths, from breech ring to muzzle face, and the cascabel and breech 2 calibres or a little over 7.3" - (roughly) 71.3" is a possible overall length from a 66" gun, but 72 doesn't fit the scheme. ... but the standard naval patterns for 6pdr only start from 6ft (72") and run up to 8.5ft (earlier to even longer guns including at least the 9ft pattern).

I doubt that the ordnance was any shorter than 72" from breechring to muzzle face, or was improperly referred to by the other measure using an incorrect value.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much, @allanyed, I sent this info to my good friend  @Gabek. And based on the info, he made me 20 cannons that when fully rigged will look marvelous.  The right size and shape, Thank you both, can't go wrong with friends like you guys.    :cheers:

PS  I only have volume lll of TFFM, lol.

Edited by Knocklouder
More info

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati