Size bears no relation to quality

I’ve just sharpened my miniature chisels for the second time

IMG_0665.thumb.jpeg.bc78c712e5d6e9985c73772d7d302e95.jpeg

I bought these with a large dose of scepticism as apart from 4 years rearing chickens I have spent all my professional life in the pursuit of the best cutting tools. I’m in my mid sixties now, so that’s been a while.

IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.c531200b13ec1b19e06247dbf4d10114.jpeg

As expected, when they arrived they were not finished when it came to edge confirmation. I spent the best part of a day getting them  to where I thought they could best perform.

IMG_0668.thumb.jpeg.42abdd3408c8a3c29d5adffd60e6932f.jpeg

I have just completed the hull on the Syren model HMS Cheerful which has been done in Costello Boxwood. These chisels have been exemplary. I can happily state that the whole process would have been much more difficult without them.IMG_0669.thumb.jpeg.a01244cb94e07de8172cc34c29357aa4.jpeg

Those previous 2 pictures are trying to show that the steel used is good enough to take a “shaving” edge. I know it’s a little bizarre to shave your own hand and I accept no responsibility for any of you attempting similar, but it does prove a point.

This is a simple set up using 600, 1000 and 3000 grit stones in a sunken bath of water.

IMG_0670.thumb.jpeg.2ecce7b87d6032511f794a9e1eee1d5c.jpeg

After completing a hull, it took less than an hour to reinstate a good edge on all three chisels.

IMG_0673.thumb.jpeg.c918ef750e1e6e03389222fbe9846bba.jpeg

Its not easy to get a good shot of the edge with a phone camera.

IMG_0675.thumb.jpeg.06e817a04f547970c99a8662e59d7b4b.jpeg

Get in touch if I can help with your chisel sharpening challenge. I’m sure you recognise these chisels and I have no relationship to the manufacturer. They are however the real deal, albeit in miniature.

Cheers folks, I hope that might be useful.

regards

Paul

Edited by Toolmaker

An additional step,  and if done after every few cuts,  can really delay a need to revisit the water stones is to strop on a medium like scrap leather charged with gold, green, or rouge compound.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I love the tool holder.  I have one but it is a Veritas and a great device but it has not worked for me on my very narrow carving chisels.   Is the holder/guide you use commercially available?

Thanks!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

4 hours ago, Jaager said:

An additional step,  and if done after every few cuts,  can really delay a need to revisit the water stones is to strop on a medium like scrap leather charged with gold, green, or rouge compound.

Serious input, thanks. I have to say that these little chisels hold a great edge for weeks/months from a single sharpening.

4 hours ago, allanyed said:

I love the tool holder.  I have one but it is a Veritas and a great device but it has not worked for me on my very narrow carving chisels.   Is the holder/guide you use commercially available?

Thanks!!

Allan

I hope I’m not going to disappoint here, but the holder is a veritas model if memory serves me right.

Tighten it as hard as possible and then sharpen from that position. Don’t remove until done.

Edited by Toolmaker

13 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

I hope I’m not going to disappoint here, but the holder is a veritas model if memory serves me right.

Definitely not the one I have.  I will do a bit of research to see what I can find similar to your yours.  Thanks Paul

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Definitely not the one I have.  I will do a bit of research to see what I can find similar to your yours.  Thanks Paul

Allan

Allan it was Veritas, this is photo from a uk supplier. It’s not a link as they often disappear but it shows what you are looking for.

Regards

Paul

IMG_5578.thumb.png.534ee24dfd143e382535acb479d68cd9.png