Sanson by Diver - Artesania Latina - 1:50 - Tugboat - Updated Version

I have started my second build, the Sanson Tug.  There are no instruction included with this kit, it is done through You Tube videos, 18 in total. The 3 piece frames and keel are all glued up.  The dove tail joints are all a bit sloppy so reinforcement was added to one side. I will add the frames to the keel next and add the longitudinal braces. #11 frame is very loose so special care will be taken.

IMG_0845.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

IMG_0847.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0850.jpeg

10 hours ago, gsdpic said:

Looks like a handsome tug.  Do you plan to do RC or just a static model?

I have not yet decided about installing the R/C bits.  My plan is to build it watertight and ready for R/C.  The You Tube videos do not show how the parts would be installed, but there is ample room in the hull, I think. As I get further along a final decision will be made.

I have completed chapter one.  The horizontal piece near the stem kept creeping back from the frame. I glued a piece of scrap in, problem solved.  To get the frames 90 degrees to the keel Glue was applied, frame installed, and then inverted and a square clamped on . All frames 90 are .degrees to the keel.  The fit off all the joints are a bit sloppy so care must be taken to get good fits.  On to chapter two

IMG_0853.jpeg

IMG_0852.jpeg

IMG_0855.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

Very nice!!

The "Upgraded" version does lend itself to what looks like a straightforward Radio installation if that's the way you go.

I saw a build log some time ago with a conversion of the "Old" kit to R/C. (I don't believe it was ever completed.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

20 minutes ago, hof00 said:

Very nice!!

The "Upgraded" version does lend itself to what looks like a straightforward Radio installation if that's the way you go.

I saw a build log some time ago with a conversion of the "Old" kit to R/C. (I don't believe it was ever completed.)

Cheers....HOF.

Thanks for looking in.  Not sure if I will go RC or not.  Will make the decision soon.  I will be doing the LED lighting kit.

8 hours ago, Diver said:

Thanks for looking in.  Not sure if I will go RC or not.  Will make the decision soon.  I will be doing the LED lighting kit.

Very good.

Is there a LED lighting kit for the "Upgraded" version also?

(I did my own Lighting kit.... 😑)

Cheers.... HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

3 hours ago, hof00 said:

Very good.

Is there a LED lighting kit for the "Upgraded" version also?

(I did my own Lighting kit.... 😑)

Cheers.... HOF.

There is a kit from Artesania Latina that they list as an option for the Sanson.  It might just be a generic kit for all there models, but it comes with ever thing needed.  

Started planking the main deck. A centre line was established and the the first planks are the short ones amidships. Right away a problem was noticed that not all things are equal.  I had to take a small sliver out of one plank, and then make a thinner plank to finish that run.   Planks were the run straight to the stern and two smaller planks were fitted to keep things equal. The rest should present no problems.  The deck planking in this kit is not very uniform. They are different widths and thicknesses.  Some are so thin they are unusable

IMG_0862.jpeg

The main deck planking is complete, and dry fitted to the keel and frames.  All seems to line up properly.  Next step is to put a finish on the deck before gluing.  The construction video has you pencil lines on the deck after planking is complete. I pencilled one side of each plank before installing, I think it looks good.

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0865.jpeg

Edited by Diver
grammer

This looks like an interesting model, Bob. I'll come along for the show. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Last night the planked deck was glued to the frames and clamped.  I must of had to much glue in holes that go over the frames as there are now some noticeable bulges near the stem.  The planking is so thin that I will not be able to sand them out.  They are close enough to the bulwark that they will be out of site.  If not, some type of deck furniture will be used. The tops of the frames were sanded and tapered so this is a warning for any future builders

IMG_0867.jpeg

IMG_0868.jpeg

Edited by Diver
spelling

2 hours ago, Diver said:

Last night the planked deck was glued to the frames and clamped.  I must of had to much glue in holes that go over the frames as there are now some noticeable bulges near the stem.  The planking is so thin that I will not be able to sand them out.  They are close enough to the bulwark that they will be out of site.  If not, some type of deck furniture will be used. The tops of the frames were sanded and tapered so this is a warning for any future builders

I am going to have to have a serious look at correcting this issue.  The bulges may interfere with the installation of the waterways when they are installed.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  We are off to Ottawa tomorrow for a couple of days, some hobby shops must be visited.  I need some material so I can complete the Syren Medway longboat rigging.

Edited by Diver

Nice Save!!

(That Decking must be very thin, 0.25mm?)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

4 hours ago, hof00 said:

Nice Save!!

(That Decking must be very thin, 0.25mm?)

Cheers....HOF.

Good morning Harry.  The decking material ranges in size from .19mm to .36mm.  The majority are about .30mm.  As said earlier, some of the planking is useless.  If I run out of good stuff I will try and make my own.  This is an enjoyable build, but I think a build sheet should accompany the Videos.  A novice with no experience may run into problems.  I consider myself an experienced novice, still lots to learn.

Hi Chap,

My experience with A/L kits, Decking is usually 0.5mm thick.

Have you thought about dropping A/L a line to express your displeasure? (Maybe you could request replacement Planking?)

Cheers.... HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

I am working on chapter 3.  The videos have you shape, paint and install the main bulwarks.  When that is done you sand the transom to the correct angle so the last piece can be installed.  I chose to make a card template so that I could sand and test fit.  This is a crucial part as the hull planking must come up flush with this piece. Once I have a good fit here, the main bulwarks will be glued in place.  They are plywood and somewhat fragile, no need to damage them when moving things about while sanding.  I am almost there, just a little bit to go.

IMG_0873.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

Edited by Diver

• 1 month later...

I took some time off from Sanson to complete my Syren Medway longboat. I have installed the bulwarks and the curved bit around the stern.  This piece was heated with steam and shaped around a can of tomatoes.  To hold its shape while it cooled a rubber band was put between the two holes with scrap wood to hold it.. Shaping the stern was a lot of sanding and dry fitting, and I still had to do some carving after it was glued in place. The tabs that are built into the deck to position this piece are more hazard than help.  I just ordered the paint kit and LED light kits from Ages of Sail so I will be able to proceed.

IMG_0971.jpeg

IMG_0972.jpeg

IMG_0973.jpeg

IMG_0974.jpeg

Looking really good!!

I had issues with the Stern Bulwark also and ended up using the "Shattered" kit ply piece as a template for two 1/32 ply laminations,

I'll be interested seeing the lighting kit .

Cheers.... HOF

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

58 minutes ago, hof00 said:

Looking really good!!

I had issues with the Stern Bulwark also and ended up using the "Shattered" kit ply piece as a template for two 1/32 ply laminations,

I'll be interested seeing the lighting kit .

Cheers.... HOF

Thanks  for looking in.  I think that the stern bulwark could be better designed.  They are asking a lot, compound curve over a tapered frame, with a single fragile piece.

Edited by Diver
spelling

Today some more planking was done on the deck pieces.  Unfortunately I got ahead of myself and cut out some decking that should have remained.  This is we’re I think drawings should be included with a kit. My bad but I will be able to fit some replacement decking later on.  A dry fit was done to ensure that my fix will work.  Some more sanding on the decks and then some WOP will be applied. Reminder to self:  SLOW DOWN and look ahead.

IMG_0978.jpeg

IMG_0977.jpeg

IMG_0980.jpeg

IMG_0979.jpeg

This is a really interesting build, Bob. Nice job so far!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

29 minutes ago, BobG said:

This is a really interesting build, Bob. Nice job so far!

Thanks for looking in Bob. It really frustrates me when I do avoidable mistakes.  I did all the planking and then proceeded to cut slots that should have remained covered with the planks.  I am working on a fix and will post photos when done.  This is an enjoyable build and I really like the look of the Tug.  As mentioned earlier, I do think and instruction booklet would supplement the build videos.