Mayflower by Ferrus Manus - FINISHED - Heller - 1/64 - A ship for my Uncle Jay

image.png.53d41323885fe95ee52acdf9fd52c6bd.png

Very good  😉

image.png.97d26626505adbc81de0bd8645bba96d.png

Very smart 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

image.thumb.jpeg.5c1439878b86dd3c03b0a1fb23fd4fd7.jpeg

This is the fore knighthead and rigged halyard block glued onto the deck. The block and halyard tackle will go up through a hole in the forecastle deck. I can be even more sure the halyard will not foul on the mainstay because the mainstay bypasses the foremast on the starboard side and goes around the bowsprit. 

This is the painted and glued in forecastle deck:20231111_143141.thumb.jpg.f812b676ef967bb2c3b773e18c180142.jpg

One thing that really bothered me up to this point was that no one in their depictions of the Mayflower showed just how old and beat the ship was. So, i decided to weather the entire exterior of the hull, as well as the interior bulkheads. 

20231111_143040.thumb.jpg.57bf666cd64da4cff4ae080348aa891c.jpg

I admit it looks much better.

The main bitts, mainyard halyard knighthead and tackle, the capstan, and the whipstaff are all put in place. The whipstaff did not come with the kit, but there was clearly a hole and a place for it. There is a hole in the quarterdeck that allows the captain to communicate with the helmsman. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e3d53bf360948dc237e364ded33f5cb1.jpeg

I also put in several eyebolts and double blocks that will accept the parrel tackles and the top rope tackle. 

Very colorful model, very nice work my man.:cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

The lower masts, bowsprit, fighting tops, and aft boom are painted and temporarily fitted into place on the ship. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cbdffbb6ce7d09d35ef0146afb98ff18.jpeg

I went to the hobby shop and got some less-than-stellar cleats, as well as some wire that will become hooks once we start rigging the lower mast fish tackles. 

Next on the list is to finalize whatever hull work has yet to be done, with the exception of the ladders as they come last, and then glue the masts in. 

100% agree with Michael!

Dear Ferrus Manus ,

In this stage of Your modeling skills, these ugly plastic shrouds where ratlines are the same thick as shrouds itself ,, just will spoil your entire model built...

it is time to make all your own rigging, as Michael said!

All the Best!

Kirill

Edited by kirill4

Indeed, why not try rigging this yourself.

So much better.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Firstly, relax.  

You are an excellent model maker.  

You have surpassed many already.

This is well within your capabilities if you decide you want to make your own shrouds and ratlines.

I made my own shrouds and ratlines in all the completed logs in my signature box.

Please feel free to use them.  I use my online build logs as a digital notebook for myself so I can recall exactly what I did and how I did it while building a model.  Maybe they can help you out as well.

In my Prince de Neufchatel build log, I talked about making the deadeyes and discussed techniques so I would remember how to do it.

At the scale that you’re building at, I would buy a large number of smaller deadeyes.  

I cannibalized some of the deadeyes from my HMS Victory kit for the Hannah and bought a bunch for the Solferino.

You’re going to need at least 60 for the lower shrouds (15 shrouds on each side x 2 deadeyes per shroud x 2 sides).

Ratlines are time consuming but totally worth the effort if you are so inclined.

I learned most of what I know about rigging from Wolfram Zu Mondfeld’s Historic Ship Models.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

5 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Are round deadeyes okay

Historically not.
But if no one tells your uncle Jay about this, he probably won't mind this little error 😇

Normally there are 3 schrouds at the top mast, (i see only 2) 

Regards, Patrick

Good day  Ferrus Manus,

To simplify process and making all upper deadeyes stay in line I would strongly recommend to use carton pattern where upper deadeyes temporarly secured by softwires.... details of this process You could see in hundreds or even thousands  building reports of our brothers "in arms".....😊😊😊

Edited by kirill4

Round deadeyes for 16th century 👀👀👀 weknowthatyouknow but this is hermetic info , not for your uncle 😊

Edited by kirill4