Display base question

Go to solution Solved by popeye2sea,

• Solution

Figures like these are more like heraldic supporters than mounts.  They are designed to fit up against the ships side and bottom and give some support against the hull tipping over.

For the first picture, the tail of the sea horse (or sea Pegasus, I don't have a name for these) fits under or against the keel with the horses mane against the ships side.

In the second picture, the tails of the dolphins (yes, those are heraldic dolphins) rest against the hull.

For the third, the dogs backs go against the hull.

Dogs are an interesting choice for ship supporters. Although those look really nice.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

I considered sculpting my own display base with Sculpey and went as far as making one prototype (I need 4). But I decided against it for a few reasons - (1) the model sits too close to the base, I prefer it to look more elevated, (2) I was concerned about the structural integrity of the base and whether it would adequately hold up a model ship without tipping over, and (3) the sheer amount of work required to sculpt 4 stands out of Sculpey. I suppose that 3D printing would solve the problem. 

In the end I bent some thick brass rod and soldered it together to support the hull, and drove a hefty bolt into the keel to secure the ship to the base and lock the model to the brass rod support. It is rock solid and does not move. 

Edited by Keith_W

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

39 minutes ago, modeller_masa said:

I may need to build a custom animal figure

Galapagos finches?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

These will support the ship, but won't fix it firmly to the base - it's only held by gravity so it it could still tip over. You'll need to decide whether that's enough for you or whether you want to ensure that it's impossible for the ship to tip over and come off the base if jolted.

Steven 

Fixing the model to the base makes packing the model for shipping much easier.  It wasn't something I thought about when I was building my first few models.  I fortunately used pedestals and attached the models to their bases.  I ended up moving from MA to VA, and was able to pack and ship the models without breaking them.  Not something I thought about when building, but all models get moved eventually.

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply