Mayflower by Jake Groby - Trumpeter - PLASTIC

I'm going to try and do a build log as I go, I set up this post vs. piggyback off Bill97's excellent Build.  I just placed an order from True North Paints (enamel like Model Masters) , once I get those in I'll be able to pick up the pace a bit. Since I'm doing this for a client, I'll need to work as directed, one side will have the cannons extended and one side will have the ports closed (they can turn it when they like). I'm going to strip the paint off the stern and probably remove the fish and redo the wood grain detail (client is undecided as of now and understands there is no information either way on the matter).  I'll also need to figure out if I'm going to use the stern gun ports.  I've ordered the Parrell rollers needed for the yards, I'm researching the correct blocks needed, the small ones in the kit are strange.  My reference is the "Rigging and Masting of 16th. century ships.

The deck detail technic I used came from "How to Build Plastic Ship Models" by Kalmbach. Base coat flat black, let dry 24 hrs. then topcoat in your choice of tan/browns, I perfect Testors Armor Sand due to being light enough to detail the caulking on the planks and still give a dark water wash.  I've also pre-prepped the deadeyes and other various parts in a basecoat of flat black.

406683609_10224533788998814_7131963599086577408_n.jpg

406699256_10224533789238820_1640447410132779114_n.jpg

I bronzed the cannons and worked on the anchor stocks a bit tonight.  Still have some work to do on the stocks, more holes to fill.  Base coat of flay black then top coated with a 50/50 mix of Testors Metallizer "Titanium and Burn Iron".  No one makes a decent shade of dark bronze. The stocks will get a coast of flat black with a topcoat of dark wood and some destressing. Even though you prob. won't see the pin/punch holes, there is no reason not to fill them. Aside from that, I managed to cut my thumb with a new #11 blade, don't you hate that when it happens.....

bc1.jpg

bc2.jpg

stocks.jpg

Edited by Jake Groby

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is really looking good Jake. Your client will be very pleased. That is an interesting subject I have thought about. My ship room is becoming overcrowded. Many times people who have viewed my ships have said “you should sell these”.  I would have no idea what I would charge. Two of mine, the Heller HMS Victory and Le Soleil Royal, each took well over a year to build. How in the world do you put a price to that. And I would think it would be after it is completed that a client would offer to purchase it. Can’t imagine a client asking me to build a ship for them that may take a year or more to get. I have offered my Mayflower to my grandson’s school library. They study the subject in their history classes and he told me it would be cool to look at it in the library and brag to his classmates that his grandfather made it😊.