Saint Malo by Helge Hafstad - Artesania Latina - 1:20

Have started the Artesania Latina kit for a French built Newfoundland dory.

Build wise there are several things I am curious about, for example, that the masts have no stays. 

Also, the oar being used as a bow-spit to stay the mast forward, when you have the sturdy bow?

That said, I've seen references that each dory "skipper" could rig his dory as he liked it. So there could be a lot of variations used.

Two masts also seem a complication for a rig that would need to be rigged down for transport on a schooner.

If you have information on such dories, please let me know.

IMG_7706.jpg

Looks like you're off to a great start!

The next step is planking. Doing them one at a time with time between for the wood glue to dry. Am using Titebond II, a glue I also use for carpentry. Happy with it. Have measured the plank intervals and marked that on the frame. The twist makes it not quite possible to meet the marks, at least I didn't quite. However, as long as it is equal on both sides - that is not noticeable I think.

IMG_7744.jpg

Edited by Helge Hafstad

The kit has a very basic approach to making the oars. Just a square half-cut and glue. This does not look the least realistic, and I decided to try to improve this. First I tapered the blade to a shallow angle. Used sand paper and tried to make the angles the same. Then I tried to fell inn the shaft and the oar blade to look a lot more like a real oar would. Not unhappy with this as a first attempt, though like most things it could surely be improved.

Oar-bashing.jpg

Deviated from the build direction, as I separated the hull from the jig after the 2nd plank and not after the 3rd.

The reason for this is simply that I found there was no room for clamping the plank - not enough opening left.

Now I have to take more care in the alignment of the plank, no help from the jig, but clamping is so much easier that (I hope) this counteracts that.

IMG_7840.jpg

Nice job so far, Helge! This was the very first boat I ever wooden boat model I ever tried to build. I'm not sure that the masts are accurate though and I decided not to add them and just left the dory without them.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

43 minutes ago, BobG said:

Nice job so far, Helge! This was the very first boat I ever wooden boat model I ever tried to build. I'm not sure that the masts are accurate though and I decided not to add them and just left the dory without them.

I've had some mental reservations about the rig as well. The oar used as a bowspit for example, I see no point in it. You have a sturdy stem and a sail to the stay from there. So, why add complexity for little gain and lash fast an oar simply to have a stay further out? I've tried to see if I could find old pictures of a dory rig (two-masted if possible) to use - and modify based on that.

One question that I've had in mind since the start is; to paint or not to paint?

The wood is pretty nice, and as such just a varnish could be nice. On the other hand, in all probability, no dory at that time was ever unpainted. Paint is easy to maintain. Also, I need practice in ship model painting...

So, it will be painted. I have a range of Vallejo acrylics, so that is what I'll use. 

The bow. Not the best part of this model. I sanded flat - as per building instructions, but this is not how it would have been built in real life. Have to see what measures I can take when the stem is on.
The stem is being fitted. Had a nutcracker with the right curvature. Boiled the piece and clamped it to the nutcracker. Let it dry, and fitted it. Only a little extra clamping was then required, in an area where clamping is difficult to do without damage.

IMG_7850.jpg

IMG_7851.jpg

IMG_7852.jpg

• 2 weeks later...