Avoiding Chipping while Milling Hardwood

Hey Group,

I am wondering if there is a full proof way to avoid this.  I am notching pearwood using a mill and sometimes experience chipping on the cut. Right now my mill is set at a high speed at 10000 RPM and I am using new mill bits.  Do I need to reduce speed here or just making many small passes at a time for each notch ?  

Thanks !

Can you show a picture? My advice might not be accurate (I’m definitely an amateur here at best regarding milling/etc), but I have added a scrap piece behind/next to parts which has reduced tear out in some situations.

My mill doesn't go that fast so I go for thin cuts and slow movement of the cutting bit.   I do notice that sometimes some pieces do chip out but I suspect it's due to the grain usually at the end of the cut.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

Pretty late here but anytime a blade or mill passes out the back of your wood piece there will almost always be tear out.

Using masking tape or duct tape at the end of the cut or really anywhere the surface is exposed to the blade. helps quite a bit. Clamping a sacrificial piece of wood on the end also helps.