How to locate the galleon's decks and the fit between the frame and false keel ?

The decks are not shown in those drawings, so you would need another source to provide that information.

When you say " false keel " are you referring to the center longitudinal  piece of a plank on bulkhead model?  To establish the slots, you will first have to establish the deck/s ...

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I think it would serve you to spend a lot of time with:

The Galleon  by Peter Kirsch  - the first edition is apparently written in German  - there is an English edition - I can find no information about a possible Russian edition.

Here is a post that describes the book:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20489-galleon-the-great-ships-of-the-armada-era-by-peter-kirsch/

I think that central spine  is more descriptive than false keel for what that part is,  but it lacks in pretense.

The same applies to mold (mould) instead of frame.  The cross section units in POB are definitely  not frames.

KHL looks too low to be  the LWL - floating waterline  and  #2 looks too high.  

With the float waterline  - there were rules about how high the gun deck sill should be above it.  There were rules about the distance of the deck to the sill.

It was all a complex chain of proportions and relationships starting with one or two or three beginning values  - such as the length of the keel (touch)  and the breadth. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I would start off by Googling English Galleon Plans and looking at the images.   You will have to sort out what kind of costs, if any, you might incur.   

You will see many options including images where you might be able to infer the run of the decks.

If you are not that concerned about historical or architectural accuracy, then what you can infer from these drawings, along with the lines you have,  you should be able to come up with the basis for a nice model.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Thanks to your advice, I found in another American SOS forum the plan of the Golden Hind in which the bridges are shown (see dotted lines).

So my question is this: can the bridges in my plan be taken from the one I put on the Golden Hind (with the necessary modifications) ?

Galeone-ponti.jpg

5 hours ago, Giorgik63 said:

can the bridges in my plan be taken from the one I put on the Golden Hind (with the necessary modifications) ?

I suppose you can, but you are moving out of my area of expertise when you start drawing your own plans.  Perhaps someone else can help.

It sounds like you may need some good drafting software to do this.

—MICHAEL ROSE

maybe my buildlog can help you

BTW. There no detailled plans for an English galleon.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The Kirsch book is excellent and it has excellent drawings of an early 17th century galleon, enough to build a model.

Golden Hind was 16th Century.  The Victory Models plan set of the Revenge, a race-built galleon and a contemporary of the Golden Hind is an excellent plan set.

Amati of Italy has a set of plans for the Mayflower of 1620, and the HMS Lyon of 1635.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

If you wish to do a serious recreation of a possible galleon then I think that you should use Kirsch  - especially the the reprint treatise  in the appendix - ( if there are gaps maybe some of the formula rules in Deane's Doctrine which is a hundred or more years later - but his rules came from somewhere ).  Design your own ship.  Do it on paper - I am not sure that any computer design program will allow you the tools to replicate the old line and compass method.

I suspect that some if not all of the available plans are of modern replica vessels.  Vessels designed for the tourist trade.  Vessels that include present day safety compromises.  Some of them look like cartoons of what the actual vessels probably looked like -  I am thinking Baker's Mayflower as an example.   All are just a modern author's guess - no more valid than something that you could generate from scratch .  And if some of your choices turn out to be wrong, only a bit of time is lost.  You can backup and redo.

Instead if thin plywood molds, if you do the design, your molds can be 1/2" (12.7mm) Pine and those be close together.  Then a single layer of planking would be well supported.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

7 hours ago, Giorgik63 said:

Thanks Baker. I looked at your post, but most of the links are no longer visible, including the plans http://www.john-tom.com/SailBoatPlans/GoldenHind/golden_hindSm.pdf.

maybe I downloaded this somewhere on the PC.
I'll take a look later

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

17 hours ago, Jaager said:

Some of them look like cartoons of what the actual vessels probably looked like -  I am thinking Baker's Mayflower as an example.   All are just a modern author's guess -

I never built a Mayflower....

It is certainly not the perfect model, but if this is a cartoon, thanks

20230116_130237.thumb.jpg.f5fb44aac4464c95aa5516c6dea80541.jpg

Edited by Baker

Regards, Patrick

Good Morning All;

The main point when discussing any possible set of plans for a model  of a ship from this period is that there is no 'true' draught, or picture, of any vessel which can be used as a reliable basis for a reconstruction. Any draughts wich exist are modern, or relatively modern. If we are lucky we know the length of the keel, the greatest breadth, and the depth in hold. Using these, and following known conventions and methods of the times, it is possible to make a reasonable reconstruction. Lengths of masts and yards are available to anyone who knows where to look, and it is even possible to know something of the decorative works applied to some ships. However, these measurements are only recorded for warships, and there is often some variation between various sources. 

But overall, the information is far less than that which is required to be certain that any draught drawn is a true representation. Accept this, draw a draught if you can, or use the one available in Peter Kirsch's excellent book, which is probably as near to the truth as it is possible to get, and make the best quality of model which one can. Or use a draught from a reputable kit/plan supplier which is at least based on some level of research (if it is possible to find this out; other members here may know more in this respect)

Opinions of the finished result's verisimilitude may vary, but if you have done the best possible, using the avaiable resources, no-one can say that it is not a true likeness, as there is no comparator to set it against. Contemporary engravings look like caricatures, or cartoons. Certainty is unachievable. 

Enjoy the research, enjoy the build process, and admire the finished model, with the words we all know in your head: 'I wish I had done that/those bits a little better', and use the lessons learned in your next model.

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

-Thanks Baker for the pdfs, so I have some sources to read. I purchased Peter Kirsch's book "The Galleon - The Great Ships of the Armada Era".

-Yes, Mark P, you are certainly right, unfortunately sometimes I find it particularly difficult to find information (also bearing in mind the cost of some books from abroad, for us here in Italy, we don't surf much "in gold", there is a strong air of deep crisis here 😞 ).

Edited by Giorgik63
Addition