Queen Elizabeth 1588 by Ferrus Manus - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC - Baker-style galleon of the English Armada

Part 2: Digging In

This is a photo of my completed Golden Hinde. You should remember this if you've been a long-time viewer of my build logs. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1ba478d481c82969b0d8400c154ad971.jpeg

As I was building this model, I ended up noticing multiple historical inaccuracies. For one thing, the Golden Hinde might not have even looked like this. In Wikipedia's records, it was armed with 22 guns of different types. This ship is armed with 12 guns. In fact, the Golden Hinde was probably not even a race-built ship as is depicted here. For a 1965 kit, it holds up to scrutiny however. That being said, calling it the Golden Hinde might be a fallacy. There is also the issue of the belaying pins. Baker told me as I was well underway with the running rigging that English ships didn't start incorporating belaying pins until over a century after the Golden Hinde sailed. 

Plus, let's face it- with the skill and knowledge I have today, I could do a lot better on this kit. For one thing, the entirety of the shroud assemblies could be scratch-built. Secondly, the majority of the rigging and sails do not hold up to my current skillset, and the anchors and flags are the same way. I would like to significantly improve the paintwork as well. While the paint job is relatively good looking even now, I have better paints and brushes than I had then. I also have better tools and fittings. 

That leads me to my plan, and this build log. I will not touch the original Golden Hinde. However, I will order the Heller version of this kit and do that. I am planning on doing all my normal work on the ship, while paying special attention to the paint, sails, and rigging. I plan on making silkspan sails, putting decals on the sails, staining the rigging (something Kirill told me I should do) as well as making general improvements. 

This is still just a plan, and I haven't even ordered the kit yet. However, it would be nice to have some company while I work on what is hopefully going to be my best model yet. I plan on portraying this ship as a small galleon of the English fleet that went up against the Spanish Armada in 1588, and yes it is named after someone I know, but for official records, the name Queen Elizabeth comes from the English tradition of naming ships after the reigning monarch at the time. There were two ships in the Elizabethan Navy bearing her name (The Elizabeth Jonas and the Elizabeth Bonaventure) so this name is historically plausible. 

For now, this is a research log. 

This is Matthew Baker's design for a race-built galleon.

1. The long and narrow "race-built" hull of an Elizabethan galleon,... |  Download Scientific Diagram

Notice the fact that this ship is much larger than the Queen Elizabeth would be. The communication port near the waterline is possible owing to the ship's size, and such a feature would be far too close to the waterline to exist on my ship. 

Also, would a smaller ship participating in the Battle of Gravelines (or similar engagement) have used waistcloth? 

I also don't know how useful Vroom's paintings would be in this situation. He tended to paint the massive Dutch and Spanish two- and three-deckers in his paintings. However, almost all of the Dutch ships seem to be built in the Spanish design, being huge galleons designed to pound the enemy into submission before boarding and destroying whatever was left. This was not how the English built ships. The English vessels were designed to sit just outside the range of Spanish guns and fire volley after volley until the enemy gave up. This doctrine of naval engagement leads me to believe a race-built ship would not have needed waistcloth. 

15 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

@Louie da fly @Baker @kirill4 

welcome to the circus. 

Baker wants a free ticket to the circus :piratebo5:

BTW.
I am not related to Mathew, My name translated into English is.... Baker

15 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

However, almost all of the Dutch ships seem to be built in the Spanish design,

No. 

(First post and already comments...;) )

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Looking forward to this build!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Don't know if it would work, but you could try printing by stretching and fastening the silkspan onto a sheet of paper. Laser printer might work better than ink jet.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Iron on transfer paper might work - use it with an ordinary inkjet. I've used this on t-shirts but not on silkspan.

Sublimation printing works the same way but needs special inks in a dedicated printer on sublimation paper, can work with an iron, but usually a heat press.

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Now, onto the next issue: the rudder preventer configuration. I used a complex chain configuration on the Spanish Galleon, but none on the Golden Hinde. 

The truth is, almost none of the period artworks depict rudder preventers on any of the ships. So, your guess is as good as any other. However, I have an idea. I might be able to put an eyebolt into the bottom of one of the knees holding up the stern gallery. See my original Golden Hinde build for a look at what I'm talking about. This eyebolt could be the end point for the rudder preventer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good day Ferrus Manus!

Very interesting building You started, will follow with great interest!

Duch artists/ or artist - Van deVelde, as I remember,  shown this detail / rudder preventer, in many...

Wish You all the Best!