Phantom of the Opera by MisterMeester - Atlantis - 1/8

Well, with reluctance, I’ve decided to post a build log on this basic kit. For me, the operative word being basic. I purchased this model on impulse two years ago on an opportunistic basis for one reason. Nostalgia. I had it, and a few of the other Aurora Monster Models, 50+ years ago. But since purchasing it, and recently building my Academy 1/400 RMS Titanic, it has taken on a new purpose. That being to help learn entry level scale modeling skills, which will, no doubt, be necessary to improve on for my Trumpeter 1/200 RMS Titanic build.

I looked at starting a build log for this kit on another community board, but that board was somewhat frustrating in that the engine that drove it seemed slow and clunky, annoying pop-up ads, 3rd party photo hosting, and it was unclear on exactly what a build thread on that site is.

For me, posting a build log is not showing off. I’m fully aware, in the short time I’ve been here, that the talent on this board is immense. How could I possibly be showing off to that talent with such a basic kit? Contrary, this log is about receiving feedback on how I could, and can, do things better. Critique and suggestions are welcome.

My wife and I watched the original Lon Chaney silent film a few nights ago, for reference and inspiration. Loved it. I’d seen “The Phantom of the Opera” many many years ago, but that must have been the Claude Rains version, as I know for sure it was not the Chaney film. First time I’ve watched that one.

A couple of inaccuracies to point out: The Phantom (Erik) did not have long silver hair, as depicted in the box art. And, if there was any “prisoner”, it was not a guy behind bars. It was Christine, an opera understudy whom the Phantom was obsessed with.

And so it begins…..

Phantom (1).JPG

Phantom (2).JPG

Phantom (3).JPG

Phantom (4).JPG

This is as far as I've gotten. I have a bar clamp on order for the right leg.

In my, thus far, short scale modeling career, I've become somewhat disappointed in THE hobby store in my locale. It's lacking a fair bit and I've had to resort to ordering online for quite a few items. I don't want to use rubber bands as I don't trust that I will be able to prevent those from coming into contact with the liquid cement.

I think I did a pretty good job on sanding the left leg inseam, but.....

Left Leg, Inseam.JPG

....sloppy work on the outer seam of the left leg. Particularly up near the belt line where those trouser folds are. The other pieces are on hold, for now. Awaiting the bar clamp, as mentioned, and also needle sand sticks for the arms on order too. My hobby shop didn't have those either. Me thinks the sleeve folds in the arms are going to make for some tricky sanding. 

Left Leg, Outseam.JPG

Thanks for looking. Suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

Can't remember if I ever built any of the monster models, but I knocked out my share of dinosaurs. I think most of us of a certain age have probably built a few novelty kits.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Guaranteed when I built this model 50+ years ago I did not fill gaps, and sand mold lines and join seams. I would have thrown it together, painted it and that's it. 100% certain, as well, that I used the novelty glow-in-the-dark parts. Not this time. I think I'm beyond that. Going with the conventional head, etc.

Who knew a model such as this would have complications?

As I am still very early in my scale modeling resurgence, I do not have an extensive repertoire of models worked on to compare this one to, but it would appear that, as models go, it's relatively cheap. And with that, comes lots of fit issues, gaps to fill, and mold lines and join seams to sand.

A few pics of some work done so far....

Torso(2).JPG.b2ffdf342e659a682e5a563ab2729740.JPG
Tamiya White Putty used here.

Torso(3).JPG.770b546347366350c7cbab90a8024b8e.JPG

Mr. Surfacer 1000 used here after sanding down the white.

Torso(4).thumb.JPG.71471902cfc4d27651847983c985de69.JPG

Done.

RightFootSanded(2).thumb.JPG.69b60d84edf61e77dbefe838520ac181.JPG

Three big gaps were here, right shoe meeting with the right leg. My close up pic has revealed I'm not quite done sanding this down.

The right hand comes in two parts. The left hand is all one.

RightHand(1).JPG.b4fc244dbf13c1a653294cdfe28dd9a6.JPGRightHand(2).JPG.c58c60255e63e20caa66c544b6e77d7d.JPGRightHand(4).JPG.c6217b2d3b7c8c8f047f487eac2156ec.JPG

As with the torso, Tamiya White and Mr. Surfacer 1000.

The Phantom's teeth were less than perfect. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic of them before I began chiseling bigger gaps between them. This pic is more or less mid-way through my work.

Teeth(2).JPG.598c65e3afcf5f8f4f61a8ae7cf7fb11.JPG

Not a good pic. Out of focus and hard to get a sense of how they started out.

Teeth(4).JPG.b622144d2a9d7eff57a439d4b24b8dc6.JPG

Teeth done. I did just the top row. Looking forward to how they'll look when painted.

Hair(1).JPG.08605b95786f1cc56348ef7f088a5a33.JPG

This was inevitable. Sanding the join seam of the head also removed some hair striations.

Hair(7).JPG.00c1fddcb60394832b07ee5f0bec1719.JPG

Hair striations chiseled back in. I hope I sanded the seam enough and primer/paint will hide it.

My next dilemma is this.....

Shoulders(3).JPG.7fc3681b8d761ab44d3bab8e651899dc.JPG

The Phantom's cape covers most of the join seams on the shoulders, but not all. Some of the lapel is exposed toward the collar. The challenge here is, the lapel has an orange peel texture. Sanding the join seams will inevitably smooth a portion of that. Researching what I can do to restore that, I've learned that Mr. Surfacer 500 is a potential solution. Just brush it on and then dab it with the bristles of a brush (or, I'm thinking perhaps foam would work well). I figure if the resultant texture doesn't match, then I would mask the lapel off and do the whole lapel. 

I'll be checking my local hobby store for Mr. Surfacer 500 tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath that they'll have it. I expect to have to order it online. Note to self: Do a test of this on a piece of styrene first. In the meantime, I guess I'll get back to sanding.

Thanks for looking. Suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Mark  

Edited by MisterMeester
Typos

I too   remember these  kits   from way back  -  I built  (threw together)   as a  kid  Dracular   and   The Mummy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

As expected, my local hobby store did not have Mr. Surfacer 500 in stock. Order placed with my go-to online supplier. It will arrive next week. In the meantime, I've masked the lapel off expecting that the procedure will not match the existing texture and will probably have to do the whole lapel.

Shoulders(4).JPG.6ae2861cd9eeab9d0cb803239380c0be.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Mark