Cutty Sark by David Chapman - Revell -1/96 - PLASTIC - beginner's build

On 4/6/2024 at 2:17 PM, Keith Black said:

Ah, you're not a young man but you've got plenty of years left to you.

I started this crazy ship modeling hobby when I was 69, I wish I had started at a much younger age.  There's a certain amount of information and knowledge one needs to absorb to be semi successful in the hobby. If you come late to the party as I did it's very hard to reach a high level of accomplishment, now at 77 I have to be satisfied with the fact that I'll never be much better than I am today. That's why it's so important to get kids interested and involved in ship modeling when they're young so they'll have the chance to become masters and more importantly, teachers. 

We each must do what we can to pass the torch no matter how small the flame. 

I'm with you, Keith - and am happy to do what I can when I can for as long as I can.  With luck and Providence, there'll be some good years left.  I'm learning to be 'one with the ship', insofar as old-time sailing ships were hand built machines with many parts.  And there are VERY many parts, so sometimes we have to pick and choose what to include in our 'artwork' models.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I bet most of us won’t see 60 again. David, great job so far and, at the risk of seeming contrarian, I’d say keep plowing ahead without getting distracted by detail or precision. There lies an enormous rabbit hole and once you start trying to be true to the ship or even true to scale, it’s very easy to become bogged down. I’d also point you at a build log of the Heller HMS Victory by Bill, and also his Soliel Royale (just search the forum), not because they will help with the CS, but because they demonstrate just how good a result you can get if you just crack on and keep the aftermarket’s and modifications to a minimum.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

1 hour ago, Kevin-the-lubber said:

I bet most of us won’t see 60 again. David, great job so far and, at the risk of seeming contrarian, I’d say keep plowing ahead without getting distracted by detail or precision. There lies an enormous rabbit hole and once you start trying to be true to the ship or even true to scale, it’s very easy to become bogged down. I’d also point you at a build log of the Heller HMS Victory by Bill, and also his Soliel Royale (just search the forum), not because they will help with the CS, but because they demonstrate just how good a result you can get if you just crack on and keep the aftermarket’s and modifications to a minimum.

Sound advice from Kevin, David.

Out of the box builds are a clever introduction to the hobby.

By the time you've finished you'll have learned a lot.

With a bit of luck you will develop the enthusiasm this forum is built upon.

Well mates, ill never see 60 again either but I find it to be an advantage. When i built models in my youth, I would go along for awhile and then run out of something :ie. paint, glue etc. Or need a tool that I could not improvise. Alas, i would have to wait for Friday to get my allowance. 5 bucks went a long way back then. Now if I want it, Im off to Hobby Lobby or on the web to Amazon or whoever has what i need. I also have muuuuuuch more patience which is  (not too arguably) the most important ingredient to the hobby. Keep at it man, your CS is lookin good. My Cutty is kinda on the back burner now as its getting time to do my outdoor gardening and lawn work. Cant be having the neighbors complaining. keep those pics coming. ill post a few of mine when  I take a few more.

On 4/12/2024 at 1:30 PM, Kevin-the-lubber said:

I bet most of us won’t see 60 again.

I have to say, I still have four years left to see the 60 or the 6 in front of my age... but I´m getting there and the health conditions count up lol... but as long as I can I will do this hobby and I will try to build as many as possible before it´s impossible to do...

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

And David, you are doing a great job. I´m still considering the Revell Cutty Sark but I´m more eyeing a wooden version of it. Don´t know why, but I have a really good offer for a boxed Revell Cutty Sark for only GBP 60, the box is damaged but complete and all parts are ok, nothing is missing and nothing is broken.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Posted (edited)

'Just saw this 1922 photo of the Cutty Sark (pre restoration by the new owner to clipper rig) rigged as a barquentine ...  'Wonder if anyone ever modeled her in this configuration.  Note that the Revell 1:96 Thermopylae kit has an option to rig as a barque, as she was in the NW timber trade and as a Spanish trainer.

image.png.302752f28d299fe9253762515de7384e.png

The text below gives additional meaning to an ancient paradox that can apply to our hobby ...  So perhaps any thoughtful effort of make a reproduction in miniature of a given vessel might be considered 'real'.

Science does for reality what Plutarch’s thought experiment known as “the Ship of Theseus” does for the self. In the ancient Greek allegory, Theseus — the founder-king of Athens — sailed triumphantly back to the great city after slaying the mythic Minotaur on Crete. For a thousand years, his ship was maintained in the harbor of Athens as a living trophy and was sailed to Crete annually to reenact the victorious voyage. As time began to corrode the vessel, its components were replaced one by one — new planks, new oars, new sails — until no original part remained. Was it then, Plutarch asks, the same ship?

There is no static, solid self. Throughout life, our habits, beliefs, and ideas evolve beyond recognition. Our physical and social environments change. Most of our cells are replaced. Yet we remain, to ourselves, “who” “we” “are.”

image.png.ed52bc06213163cace99dfb3d32d24f0.png

Edited by Snug Harbor Johnny

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

38 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

'Just saw this 1922 photo of the Cutty Sark (pre restoration by the new owner to clipper rig) rigged as a barquentine ...  'Wonder if anyone ever modeled her in this configuration.  Note that the Revell 1:96 Thermopylae kit has an option to rig as a barque, as she was in the NW timber trade and as a Spanish trainer.

I have the same picture of her Johnny, but I´m still not keen on the plastic model. I´m still more interested in the wooden version (even if I don´t know which manufactuer I should chose since there are four of them). But I still have this offer for GBP 60.00 for the Revell kit 1:96 and it still is in my mind, with some extra effort to "pimp" it up it might be a nice alternative to the wooden versions.

Which wooden version would you guys suggest anyway?

1. Billing Boats (BB564 Cutty Sark 1869) in 1:75
  2. Artesania Latina (Tea Clipper Cutty Sark 1869) in 1:84
  3. Mantua (612 Le Picolle) in 1:100
  4. Sergal (789 Cutty Sark 1869) in 1:78
  5. Sergal (791 Thermopylae 1906) in 1:124

My favorite size would be the Billing Boats (but the quality of this set is my convern since the Roar Ege) but by the look and quality the Sergal or the AL looks good as well. I prefer larger sized models, don´t know why but the small sizes like 1:124 or even smaller like 1:220 are not my thing.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

4 minutes ago, Scottish Guy said:

I prefer larger sized models

Large models require large display cases which require large spaces for the whole to occupy. If a person lives by themselves then you can dedicate whatever space to that which tickles your fancy but if you're in a relationship with another, they might not be so keen on every inch of free space being occupied by model ships. From my little experience and reading the experience of others, 36 inches models are about the limit to live with comfortably. I could be way wrong but I suspect that those who build in smaller scales do so partly because of display space considerations. 

On 4/12/2024 at 5:30 AM, Kevin-the-lubber said:

On 4/1/2024 at 11:22 AM, David Chapman said:

Progress...

20240401_112120.jpg

20240401_112131.jpg

On 4/12/2024 at 5:30 AM, Kevin-the-lubber said:

Kevin,

Thanks so much. I kinda needed that. It's seriously challenging enough to try and do the stock, plastic version justice. Especially as a rookie. But I do appreciate all the amazing ideas and logs there are on this site.

Pics to follow.

23 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Large models require large display cases which require large spaces for the whole to occupy. If a person lives by themselves then you can dedicate whatever space to that which tickles your fancy but if you're in a relationship with another, they might not be so keen on every inch of free space being occupied by model ships. From my little experience and reading the experience of others, 36 inches models are about the limit to live with comfortably. I could be way wrong but I suspect that those who build in smaller scales do so partly because of display space considerations. 

I know Keith but I have the luxury to live in a three bedroom bungalow with my wife and myself, I have my own hobby room (bedroom) and the garage for the things I like to do and collect. I also have a nice living room with lots of free space (yet) which likes to be filled as well. Also I just prefer larger models than smaller. But I agree, with more models built it might get some... crowded over time but we are not there yet.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

4 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

It's seriously challenging enough to try and do the stock, plastic version justice. Especially as a rookie. But I do appreciate all the amazing ideas and logs there are on this site.

I think you are doing a great job to be honest, especially for a "rookie". I think somehow we are all rookies or have been one at some point. I have done tons of plastic models and now working on my first wooden model. So still a rookie ^^

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

42 minutes ago, Scottish Guy said:

Which wooden version would you guys suggest anyway?

1. Billing Boats (BB564 Cutty Sark 1869) in 1:75
  2. Artesania Latina (Tea Clipper Cutty Sark 1869) in 1:84
  3. Mantua (612 Le Picolle) in 1:100
  4. Sergal (789 Cutty Sark 1869) in 1:78
  5. Sergal (791 Thermopylae 1906) in 1:124

My favorite size would be the Billing Boats (but the quality of this set is my convern since the Roar Ege) but by the look and quality the Sergal or the AL looks good as well. I prefer larger sized models, don´t know why but the small sizes like 1:124 or even smaller like 1:220 are not my thing.

Micha

Per the nearly complete log on the Sergal Thermie by Popeye the Sailor, 1:124 is a challenge to work with, and I can see there were some major compromises/shortcuts present in that kit ... ergo many do not recommend it.  The 1:78 CS may be another matter, but I can't comment - so check if there are logs on that.

I pondered the AL version at 1:84, but MSW response cautioned about various inaccuracies on that kit .  Again, I haven't dug into it.  The Billing version might be OK, as not all Billing kits are the same.  However, all kits seem to have their plusses and minuses ... strong points and weak points in various aspects of materials and documentation. The most experienced builders will tell you that one does not have to build a kit 'out of the box', but can make some common-sense corrections and improvements.  And it does not have to be a major 'bust' either.  

2 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

However, all kits seem to have their plusses and minuses ... strong points and weak points in various aspects of materials and documentation.

Maybe it would be best to find proper plans and do a scratch build of it, I just love the Cutty Sark, don´t know why. There are some other nice clippers and schooners as well.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

2 hours ago, Scottish Guy said:

I have to say, I still have four years left to see the 60 or the 6 in front of my age... but I´m getting there and the health conditions count up lol... but as long as I can I will do this hobby and I will try to build as many as possible before it´s impossible to do...

Micha

Totally understand. With health issues piling up (4th shoulder replacement next Wednesday) I've become somewhat obsessed with traveling while I still can. Always been water people so we've signed up for 2 more Viking cruises by next February.  Something to look forward to, for sure.

39 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Noted.

I finally measured the space I want to put this and it's literally one inch to long... Will have to figure out what to do.

10 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

Totally understand. With health issues piling up (4th shoulder replacement next Wednesday) I've become somewhat obsessed with traveling while I still can. Always been water people so we've signed up for 2 more Viking cruises by next February.  Something to look forward to, for sure.

I know what you mean, I wanted a third and last Atlantic crossing or maybe even a circumnavigation in a sail yacht but my shoulder doesn´t allow it anymore. I would need a sail yacht with "push button sailing" like the HR 44 - 57 or a crew to sail the yacht but where is the point of a cruise if you need a crew to sail for you? Unfortunately I´m not wealthy enough for a Hallberg Rassy (that´s why I´m planning a scratch build of one for my living room). Therefore I have to give up on the plans for a last crossing or even a circumnavigation.

But still another dream is possible, once driving along the Silk Road (PanAmericana I have done already -  even if I would fancy a second run with a different route).

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

9 minutes ago, Scottish Guy said:

I know what you mean, I wanted a third and last Atlantic crossing or maybe even a circumnavigation in a sail yacht but my shoulder doesn´t allow it anymore. I would need a sail yacht with "push button sailing" like the HR 44 - 57 or a crew to sail the yacht but where is the point of a cruise if you need a crew to sail for you? Unfortunately I´m not wealthy enough for a Hallberg Rassy (that´s why I´m planning a scratch build of one for my living room). Therefore I have to give up on the plans for a last crossing or even a circumnavigation.

But still another dream is possible, once driving along the Silk Road (PanAmericana I have done already -  even if I would fancy a second run with a different route).

Micha

Viking does offer 187 day round the world cruises for a small fortune. Some claim its cheaper to "live" on board but I'm not buying it.

2 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

Viking does offer 187 day round the world cruises for a small fortune. Some claim its cheaper to "live" on board but I'm not buying it.

For a "small" fortune, that is the issue lol. And what do you mean by "living" on it? Depending what you plan to do living on a sailboat can be much cheaper and easier than living in a house. But not if you are mooring in a nice yacht club or marina lol

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

5 minutes ago, Lost and Confused said:

Call in the carpenters to lengthen the room!

Best idea ever ^^ just the costs for that, not sure if it wouldn´t be cheaper to get smaller models :D

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scottish Guy said:

Best idea ever ^^ just the costs for that, not sure if it wouldn´t be cheaper to get smaller models :D

Micha

It's a massive library cabinet. 11'x9'. I was a carpenter but not a cabinet maker. The CS is all of 36" but the space is closer to 35". Do you think anyone would notice if I wacked off the bow sprit?

Edited by David Chapman

54 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

Do you think anyone would notice if I wacked off the bow sprit?

nahhh, don´t think so 😇 depends on the angle you put the ship into the cabinet :D

55 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

I was a carpenter but not a cabinet maker.

As a carpenter you should be able to "extend" the cabinet a bit :D come on, it´s an easy task ^^

But joke aside, I get that point, my problem is that I just like the bigger scales myself, fortunate I have the space (at the moment, don´t know about space after three ships lol) but there is always a space for a ship though, does it have to be the cabinet? Can you not take out a wall between two spaces in the cabinet (often they are divided into a couple of spaces separated by walls... I did this once, didn´t look well, had to line it with black silk, which fair enough was a great background for the U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D in the cabinet, but that doesn´t work all the times, especially when the wifey is a bit... against it lol (at this time I was just widowed from my first wife so no one cared much about it

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

6 hours ago, David Chapman said:

it's the rigging that intimidates me

It intimidates all of us the first time. That all passes once you're half way through. 

7 hours ago, Scottish Guy said:

For a "small" fortune, that is the issue lol. And what do you mean by "living" on it? Depending what you plan to do living on a sailboat can be much cheaper and easier than living in a house. But not if you are mooring in a nice yacht club or marina lol

Micha

Living on a Viking Cruise would involve all meals, free excursions at each stop, and outstanding service, and views every day.

"They" say it's cheaper to sell your house, get rid of all obligations and hit the high seas to explore the world than it is to live in a home.

Still not buying it.

52 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

Just priced out a 132 day round-the- world cruise in a nicer room inc flights, and insurance and it came out to be $184,000. That comes out to roughly $552,000 per year.

I´m not funny here but for that money I can buy a Hallberg Rassy 44 and can sail around the world whenever I want to wherever I want. I would not even have to share my space with strangers but with friends (up to 4)...

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a