Cutty Sark by David Chapman - Revell -1/96 - PLASTIC - beginner's build

I am presently building the revell 1:96 Cutty Sark. I did not glue the stands on until I was almost done with the hull assembly, as this allows you to maneuver the model around as needed. When all is about assembled on the hull, go ahead and glue the stands on. A good time to add a wooden plaque stand if you like.

David, welcome to MSW. Were I you I'd wait till I absolutely had to have a stand mounted. In your journey you might discover a different stand that you like better. I'm not impressed with most stands provided by manufactures in their kits. They're usually cheap looking and take away from all the hard work of the builder. You can make a temporary stand out of almost anything till you're sure you want to commit to the stand provided.

Hi David, welcome to MSW!

Others have given some good advice here. I'll just add that I would at least start considering how you want to mount the model. If you wait too long, it will become difficult to drill holes into the bottom of the ship safely, if that's something your stand will require. I usually use mounting pins or screws and try to plan where they will go ahead of time.

If your model has a solid hull, then screws or pins are no problem. If it is plank-on-bulkhead, you may want to reinforce the interior structure by gluing in some solid wood blocks, so screws or pins will have something to support them.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Another question.

As amazingly precise as the model parts generally are... what's up with the circles with raised edges on  most all of the pieces?

I'm already (happily) spending considerable time clipping, triming, and filing including the circles.  But they seem nearly impossible to eliminate.

I guess I should live with that?

David

On 3/5/2024 at 1:44 PM, David Chapman said:

Stuck...

I'm starting to put parts on the deck.

Before gluing the forward raised deck in place it indicates to feed the anchor chain under that forward raised deck and then out the hole on the side of the bow. But there is no opening to allow for that. What am I missing?

David

Figured it out. Cutting the chain under the forward deck and inside the hull.

On 2/26/2024 at 2:28 PM, catopower said:

Hi David, welcome to MSW!

Others have given some good advice here. I'll just add that I would at least start considering how you want to mount the model. If you wait too long, it will become difficult to drill holes into the bottom of the ship safely, if that's something your stand will require. I usually use mounting pins or screws and try to plan where they will go ahead of time.

If your model has a solid hull, then screws or pins are no problem. If it is plank-on-bulkhead, you may want to reinforce the interior structure by gluing in some solid wood blocks, so screws or pins will have something to support them.

Clare,

I'm too far beyond drilling holes. It's the first model I have built in 60? years so going to go straight stock on the first one back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chain(s).

So I used 4 parts of the long, skinny chain for on the deck and coming out the sides of the bow. Had a fair amount left so I looked ahead studying the instructions. On step 92, pg. 31 lower right hand image it clearly shows multiple lengths of small chain going to the bow sprit with the anchor chain much larger.

I have only the finer chain and not the larger chain for the anchor.

What gives!?20240320_102208.thumb.jpg.17c892b7e587c8261c51d5620b7348c9.jpg

20240320_101331.jpg

David, since your topic is more or less morphing into a build log, I have formatted your title accordingly and moved it into the proper area. Good luck with your project!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 2 weeks later...

All. Still have the chain question from above.

Also, I'm about to start with the rigging.

Confused which threads correspond to which letter from the instructions. 

If A, B, C, and D are as shown in the photo then why do I have such a big D spool when almost none of the directions show to use it.

Would really appreciate some help here as I'd hate to get off on the wrong foot.

On 2/26/2024 at 11:27 AM, Lost and Confused said:

By the way....Welcome aboard......There are some master modelers here.....You might check out the build logs....Check out Bruma's Cutty Sark, build log if you want to see something just wonderful.....very inspiring

Can't seem to find anything about Bruma in search mode.

David, you're doing a good job thus far, nice clean lines.

If I might make a suggestion, if you plan on keeping this model for many years to come once completed, were it I, I'd make my mast and yards from wood and order wood blocks. Because plastic mast and yards will be under a lot of stress once rigged, not many years down the road the plastic mast and yards are likely to snap. Wood mast and yards may in time warp but they're much less likely to snap. If you chose to go wood mast and yards, wood blocks will enhance your efforts. 

Nice looking job, David. My Cutty Sark kit came with 2 different sizes of chain, although I ended up not using either one. There are multitudes of markets for chain out there, easily learned about, just by reading these forums. Same with rigging line. Even going "stock" with this kit, as you intend to, it might be wise to download some more comprehensive rigging plans, as the ones provided by Revell are extremely vague at best. I downloaded the Campbell plans which are used by the majority of CS builders. If nothing else, with these you can figure out the grey areas in the Revell plans. You can find them hereabouts for free. I have found that I spend more time looking stuff up, than actual modeling. Check out other folkses build logs and many of your questions will be answered before you even ask them. These guys are here to help. Keep up the good work. :)

On 4/3/2024 at 8:45 AM, Lost and Confused said:

Nice looking job, David. My Cutty Sark kit came with 2 different sizes of chain, although I ended up not using either one. There are multitudes of markets for chain out there, easily learned about, just by reading these forums. Same with rigging line. Even going "stock" with this kit, as you intend to, it might be wise to download some more comprehensive rigging plans, as the ones provided by Revell are extremely vague at best. I downloaded the Campbell plans which are used by the majority of CS builders. If nothing else, with these you can figure out the grey areas in the Revell plans. You can find them hereabouts for free. I have found that I spend more time looking stuff up, than actual modeling. Check out other folkses build logs and many of your questions will be answered before you even ask them. These guys are here to help. Keep up the good work. :)

Yeah, I'm going to check out the Campbell plans. Thanks for the lead!

16 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

Wow, a ton to digest.

If you want to learn ship building techniques and do the best job possible on your project, research is vital and often requires more time than actual modeling. 

Ah, you're not a young man but you've got plenty of years left to you.

I started this crazy ship modeling hobby when I was 69, I wish I had started at a much younger age.  There's a certain amount of information and knowledge one needs to absorb to be semi successful in the hobby. If you come late to the party as I did it's very hard to reach a high level of accomplishment, now at 77 I have to be satisfied with the fact that I'll never be much better than I am today. That's why it's so important to get kids interested and involved in ship modeling when they're young so they'll have the chance to become masters and more importantly, teachers. 

We each must do what we can to pass the torch no matter how small the flame.