Endeavour by Bill97 - OcCre - 1/54

That's some bend in those 2nd planks but that's why they're thin.

Off topic Bill, but have you seen Occre's wood/metal locomotive models? They look great but I don't know if I'd have the skill to build one, having downloaded instructions to see what they're like. I'd need to buy an airbrush and learn how to use it.

Yes Ian I have looked at them. They also hav a great line of street cars/trams. 

I bought an airbrush kit on Amazon back when I started building the Victory. With a little practice you would have no trouble. I use Vallejo Model Air paints with it. They are designed especially for use with airbrushing. 

Posted (edited)

Finished the upper 1st planking on both sides of the ship now and will now start the bottom area. OcCre had me do the section from the lower deck up to the top of the bulwarks first and then start at the false keel and work my way up to meet. This next section will require numerous pie shaped pieces to fill in between planks as you can see in the last example photo.  Looking to reuse, with modifications, the base I originally made for my Soleil Royal but now have in a diorama. 

IMG_4721.jpeg

IMG_4719.jpeg

IMG_4718.jpeg

IMG_4712.jpeg

Edited by Bill97

Progress continues on the planking. Pace is slower now that I am at the area where I need to put it together like a puzzle. Before I completely close up the hull I decided to use some scrap wood to reinforce the seat for the three masts also added some scrap material to widen the false keel where my the screws from my display stand will penetrate the keel up into the inner hull. 

IMG_4730.jpeg

IMG_4731.jpeg

IMG_4732.jpeg

IMG_4733.jpeg

IMG_4734.jpeg

IMG_4735.jpeg

It is interesting to see how Occre want you to progress with this planking and shaping of the bow. Most kits have some sort of central false keel and bulkheads going all the way to the bow into which you might add filler blocks, but I have never seen this before where the first planking terminates well before the bow and the bow section is instead carved from blocks. Endeavour is a very bluff bowed ship and so perhaps that is the reason for this?

Good luck and I'm interested to see how it turns out. 👍

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

You might want to study planking tutorials in the MSW data base as well as the four part video series by Chuck Passaro before tackling the second layer.  Learning good planking techniques can be a big help on future projects.    Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Bow and stern reinforcements sanded and shaped to make a smooth transition from the sides of the ship. Also sanded the planking to achieve a smooth surface keel to bulwarks.  Let me advise anyone getting ready to do this to work outside or in a room you don’t care to get dusty. Wow sanding the two ends left a lot of sanding dust all over my workshop! Spent a little time with my ShopVac after I was finished. I then took a piece of the veneer strip and slid it over the two different reinforcements checking for any high or low spots that need some extra sanding. Once I was satisfied with the shape I coated the entire hull with wood filler putty to fill the nail holes and spaces between planks.  Tomorrow after the wood filler drys and hardens I will sand the hull again with a fine grit sandpaper to remove the unnecessary dried putty. 

IMG_4763.jpeg

IMG_4764.jpeg

IMG_4762.jpeg

IMG_4766.jpeg

IMG_4769.jpeg

IMG_4767.jpeg

IMG_4770.jpeg

IMG_4768.jpeg

Second planking underway. Stained the planking strips.  Following the OcCre instructions I established the starting position for these strips and began working upward toward the bulwarks. As with the 1st planking, various planks along the way will need to be custom cut to fill where a full plank is not used. I discovered after a few failed attempts and some non-church words I found push-pins to be the way to go. 

IMG_4785.jpeg

IMG_4786.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a little over a week since my last update. I am continuing the second planking which is just a slow price of putting a jig-saw puzzle together and making the pieces at the same time. I decided to add the sections of the keel that goes down the front of the bow and behind the rudder early so that I could but the planking right up to those pieces. Instead of cutting and trimming the planking pieces later when I installed the keel sections as OcCre suggests. 

IMG_4843.jpeg

IMG_4842.jpeg

Great work!. Looks a treat. I love the light and dark timbers on the final planking layer. I'm building g the Endeavour but it's a tad smaller at 1:60 scale. What strikes me most about this is the bow has to be shaped from balsa. Interesting approach. Loving your build. Keep up the neat work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks S.Coleman. I appreciate your comment. What will really be interesting is adding the timbers that I have stained blue. They will finish up to the top of the wales. 

How is the bow shaped on your model?

Thanks again for following. 

Bill

Thanks Ian. It has actually been quite enjoyable employing my years of woodworking experience. There have truly been some challenges so far but I hope I have overcome them successfully. Now once I get into making everything that goes on the deck, and above the deck, we will see if I still feel the same!

Continuing along with my OcCre Endeavour build. Finished the second planking and working on the rubbing strakes. The 3 different stain colors will be touched up, the strakes painted black, and a semi gloss clear top coat of varnish will be added later. 

IMG_4873.jpeg

IMG_4874.jpeg

IMG_4872.jpeg

IMG_4875.jpeg