At A Loss On How To Rig

I am rigging my first boat, Lady Isabelle. It does not have a lot of rigging but I have no idea where to begin but thought I would start with the double blocks. The blocks need a circle of rope that can attach to a hook on one end. How do you make that circle? On others you need a line that runs to another block. How do you secure the block in place. It looks line line is wrapped around its self but how is that accomplished. I know this is ultra basic but I have tried to do this for hours with no success. Is there a manual or book that has those basics? Are there videos?

Modeler Tom Lauria has an excellent series of YouTube videos on modeling techniques. I highly recommend all of his videos to beginning modelers. He covers the basics in great detail.  Here is his two-part video series on rigging blocks. These should answer your questions. "Part Two" below addressed how to make the older style rope-stropped blocks.

The rigging section on this website has lots of information on rigging. YouTube has plenty as well. Also Google searches can probably give you specifically what you’re looking for. I did all this when I rigged my first model and it worked out well. Good luck. It all gets easier as you gain more experience.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

The first rigged model is the most difficult.

Once you get your methods down, it all gets a lot easier.

Then you keep refining your methods and trying new techniques with each model.

Be careful handling blocks and deadeyes, use a wider jaw pair of tweezers with only the force necessary to hold the part to keep them from flying out of your hand.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I too was overwhelmed at the prospect of rigging for the first time. Since there were no other models of the Tennessee built or being built I poured over the build logs of ships most closely related. You on the other hand have several Lady Isabella builds that you can study and see how those builders accomplished the rigging. 

https://modelshipworld.com/search/?q=Lady Isabella&quick=1

I suggest doing as much mast work off model as possible, it'll save your back. You can add the tops, yards, upper shrouds, and most if not all the blocks all done off model.

A Black and Decker Workmate bench vice is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to doing off model mast work. There is one currently on eBay at a great price, see the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/315222708181?itmmeta=01HS3SPVGJSYYFMJ9NA3Z7FYYW&hash=item4964bccfd5:g:nP8AAOSwl8pl8mhz