Sloop Speedwell 1752 by Jim Rogers - Syren Ship Model Company - 1:32 scale - POF Sloop

Received a large box containing Speedy about 5 days after placing order. The first thing I always do is inspect parts. Many parts where loose in the box so spent a couple of hours figuring out whence they went and taping them in place.

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4570.jpeg

IMG_4572.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

You really, really really need to pay attention to the plans and make sure you are using the correct one. I was moving merrily along with the keel thinking that the steps where all in numerical order. When I got to the stern I noted I was missing some parts whilst having a lot of extra of others, asked Chuck. Man I love Super Glue debonder. Follow the plan and avoid this MISTAKE. 

IMG_4595.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Looks very good.  You could have actually tapered the stem a bit more so the tapered are extend lower.  It wont be so extreme that way...more gradual.

Started assembling frames next. Some of the lasered identifiers are hard to read for me. Took them off the trees one at a time.  Make SURE you check identifiers and orientation prior to assembly. Check the PLANS, make sure the ARROW in the jig faces forward. I assembled five frames and dry mounted them on the keel. Some are REALLY tight and I was afraid of issues so I sanded the char off. Fit nice after that. The jig is ingenious.

IMG_4609.jpeg

IMG_4610.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

4 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Looks very good.  You could have actually tapered the stem a bit more so the tapered are extend lower.  It wont be so extreme that way...more gradual.

Good advice I’ll do that.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

How is it possible that you got that far in just a week!!!  I am going to have to finish writing chapter two really quick....LOL.

47 minutes ago, Chuck said:

How is it possible that you got that far in just a week!!!  I am going to have to finish writing chapter two really quick....LOL.

Actually I think I am working slow and steady as I am only working on it from 0800 to 1100 every day. Getting two frames assembled a day. They are a lot of work. First locating on tree and removing, removing all the char, dry fitting, adjusting and then glueing up. And I need to stain everything Fruitwood prior to assembly.

Question Chuck, should I wait to install the short frames until after all the tall frames are installed or can I install as they come up in order?

Regards,

Jim Rogers

41 minutes ago, Jim Rogers said:

Question Chuck, should I wait to install the short frames until after all the tall frames are installed or can I install as they come up in order?

Its up to you.  I found it easier to add them as I go.   As long as you have a frame on either side you can add the shorter frames.  I also added the port fillers as I went but that is something you can wait to do until you have three or 4 ports to make.  This way you can use the template to make sure they are all at the same height and spaced accordingly.   But its up to you.

Wow. Speeding right along. Not sure I understand what went wrong on your keel assembly.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

8 hours ago, JeffT said:

Wow. Speeding right along. Not sure I understand what went wrong on your keel assembly.

On sheet one the bow frames and wedges are numerically the same. The stern frame start numerically where the bow frames ended (12) BUT the wedges start at 1.  I was looking at the frames not the wedges and glued on extra parts that where wrong. 

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Thanks Jim. Appreciate the explanation.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard