32 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Check out the link I provided above to the U.S. Amazon and eBay websites and you'll see they are both offering new and used copies. Beyond that, I expect the cost of shipping is prohibitive.

Indeed it is available in the US but still not available for me lol

theartofmodelscaling1.thumb.png.9bae27180d50d3b56700935a4557309b.png

It seems sometimes a bit odd that in a "global" world there are still restrictions, despite the cost of postage and customs, to send items around the world. I found this many times with US items but since Brexit more and more often also with European items. I also collect model cars / diecast models (especially Ford CVN in various police versions) but nowadays (since the 2000s most US shops don´t send them over anymore - before that they often sent them even for really low prices but postage took up to 6 weeks).

So far about "global" world, we are growing closer...

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Underhill's books appear to be still available from the original publisher's web site in the UK  Brown, Son and Ferguson

His plans are also there - almost all are later 19th and early 20th century subjects

https://www.skipper.co.uk/catalogue/books/page

https://www.skipper.co.uk/catalogue/item/masting-and-rigging  L 22

https://www.skipper.co.uk/catalogue/item/plank-on-frame-models-and-scale-masting-rigging-volume-1  L 25

https://www.skipper.co.uk/catalogue/item/plank-on-frame-models-and-scale-masting-rigging-volume-2  L 20

https://www.skipper.co.uk/catalogue/item/deep-water-sail L 30

https://www.skipper.co.uk/catalogue/item/sailing-ship-rigs-and-rigging L 16

Both ANCRE books are " available" 

as written, the shipping is so high that I will no longer consider any purchase.

They need a US agent, and not one focused on avarice  - cough NIP cough

https://ancre.fr/en/14-basic-books

AN INTRODUCTION TO PLANKED ON FRAME SCALE MODEL SHIP BUILDING
AN INTRODUCTION TO PLANKED ON FRAME SCALE MODEL SHIP BUILDING “DOCKYARD STYLE”
An introduction to Planked on frame model ship building through more than 200 pages illustrated by approximately 500 colour photographs and captions.
 This guide includes explanations on all the techniques used during the construction of a model.
EAN : 9791096873920
Model MODELA
En stock
    Print
Author : Adrian SOROLLA translation by GILLES KORENT
49 Euro

The Art of Shipmodeling - Bernard Frolich
The Art of Shipmodeling describes the author's experience and methods in 300 pages abundantly illustrated with numerous drawings, sketchs and more than 600 commentated photos.
Model LART
En stock
    Print
Author : Bernard Frölich
89 Euro

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

9 minutes ago, Jaager said:

The Art of Shipmodeling - Bernard Frolich
The Art of Shipmodeling describes the author's experience and methods in 300 pages abundantly illustrated with numerous drawings, sketchs and more than 600 commentated photos.
Model LART
En stock
    Print
Author : Bernard Frölich
89 Euro

When I chose this one, they only charge EUR 9.00 for shipping (which I doubt when I enter a UK address) and there is no customs fee included yet. But I´m considering it since form the US they don´t send it to me or with double the price of the book (also customs fees not included yet).

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Just a note on the Frolich book....  it is more for French ships than U:S or English as there are some differences in ship design and all the equipment just as gun rigging, stoves, crew accommodations, etc,  Having said that...it is a great reference and well worth at least a read.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, I am a long way from building the Soleil Royal, and is a century before the era of my interest.  That being said, I look forward to expanding my knowledge.  Reading has become the number one use of my time.  Then while gluing and painting these pages are mulled over.  This is a rich hobby with a wealth of books.  Rather be broke with a new vision then unaware of what is out there.

14 hours ago, Frank Burroughs said:

This arrived today.  Fantastic !  This something to aim for.

I´m happy for you, I still can´t get hold of it, at least not for a reasonable price atm. If I want to spend USD 200 it`s fine but I´m not willing to spend that much atm for a book, I would rather spend it in a new kit or some tools (I still have to fill up the garage with some nice tools ^^ )

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

1 hour ago, Scottish Guy said:

I would rather spend it in a new kit or some tools

Since I know so little of what can be achieved, a book on the art of model building gives me a notion of what can be.  I have enough tools and kits to start the journey .  That said, just bought French Steam and Sail Paddlewheeler L'Orenoque Mamoli | No. MV23 | 1:100.  Goes with the french book, right!

On 4/14/2024 at 7:19 AM, VTHokiEE said:

I can only give you my experience with the second book. I bought Ship Modeling Simplified: Tips and Techniques for Model construction from Kits by Frank Mastini when I was getting my first kit because it seemed to be highly recommended. The book wasn’t expensive but I didn’t really use it very much and I only read about a 3rd of it.

This forum simply provided more knowledge in a more searchable form than I found in the book. The forum has great examples of so many components of construction in build logs and many general questions answered in the other forum areas that I passed the book along to make room for others in my library. 

I was the lucky guy who attained these  books . Thanks so much. I inherited 3 other books . 

20240414_135319.thumb.jpg.a88631e841df17ffbfa775385ea39861.jpg

Now there should be no reason  not to rig my next ship correctly  lol. I would say get as many books as you  can . Some have great pictures  of what we need . 

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

15 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

I was the lucky guy who attained these  books . Thanks so much. I inherited 3 other books . 

Hi Bob, that´s quiet a collection. I´m not even close to this amount of books. I have some but not that many and not those specific books for model building. I think I have to start my own little "library". Thank you for sharing.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Of course had to buy a second french ship model.  the French Steam and Sail Paddlewheeler L'Orenoque Mamoli | No. MV23 | 1:100 fits into the era interested in.  Please, do not recommend an Italian ship model book.  I can not afford the models.

I received today “Plank-on-Frame Models” Vol.1 and 2 by H.A. Underhill. The dust cover looks a bit rotten but the books itself are still in a good condition. It’s the 4th print from 1968 (same age as me lol) and they were only GBP 7.90 both together. I think that’s a fair price.

IMG_3142.thumb.jpeg.7c4a0ff792ec65eb62654e07f46da214.jpeg

I hope they will become a good source of knowledge and inspiration.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a