HMS Indefatigable 1794 by ir3 - Vanguard Models

I had some issues with attempting the Sphinx and the CAF Granado. I made some mistakes on the Sphinx, and I think mostly to do with the size of the parts I was working with. The Granado was another story and certainly for the very experienced scratch builder. After agonizing over some of the larger scale kits including Surprise, Bonhomme Richard and Royal Caroline I chose the Indy. Kudos to Chris for this model. With very careful thought to assembling the kit, even a mere mortal like me finds it extremely easy to build up to now. What other kit would allow you to get to where I am in less than 8 hours of time. I am enjoying every moment. A pleasure to work on.

I am not going to do a complete build thread but only post when I run across problems that I need some help with. There are very able modelers that are building this model, and their threads are tutorials for me. I'm up to step 83 and happy that the main hull structure is finished.

Till next time.

Some pictures:

P1050468.JPG

P1050469.JPG

P1050470.JPG

• The title was changed to HMS Indefatigable 1794 by ir3 - Vanguard Models

Thanks for the replies. A bit more progress. Up to step 126. the false deck had its problems but seems to be glued down ok. A few minor issues with the stern, in particular the door frames to the galleys. When putting on the temporary beams, the slots for the pegs were quite tight but manageable. So, most of the hull is complete and now on to the inner bulwarks. No major obstacles so far😊.

Till next time.

Some pictures:

P1050471.JPG

P1050472.JPG

P1050473.JPG

Now up to step 143, the dreaded fairing of the hull. Putting in the deck beam support strips was a bit fiddly, but the beams slotted in without adjustment. Fairing will test my patience as so in the past. It is an area where I wish I could get it done in a few minutes, but I will force myself to take my time. The area where I need to be very careful is the upper part of the framing where it tends to be a bit concave (I believe it is called the tumblehome?).

More to follow when I am released from my padded cell (LOL).

P1050474.JPG

P1050475.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

A problem on the Aft Port Side Outer Bulwarks. It appears to be about 2mm to 3mm too long. The Forward Port Side Outer Bulwarks is spot on. Can I fix this by shortening the center piece marked R. I do not understand the difference between this and the Starboard side which had no error at all.

P1050484.JPG

Thanks James, My mistake. I had to resoak the Forward Outer Bulwarks and didn't wait till it shrunk back to correct size before fitting the other Bulwarks. It shrunk by about 2mm. I didn't realize the Pear could expand that much but Chris does mention that in the assembly manual. Problem solved.