Thirty Years War Bavarian Standard Bearer by king derelict - Art Girona - 54 mm

Its by no means an addiction. I can stop doing these things whenever I want. With the FW200 spending most of the day waiting for the primer to cure ready for the next round of smoothing and shaping I thought I would try another Art Girona offering. Thirty Years War again; this is a Bavarian Cavalry Standard Bearer. The nonchalant pose sold it to me

RIMG0231.thumb.JPG.63ac815bab4fb2e78d0a607509e57677.JPG

After filing off some mould lines I joined the standard and left arm to the torso. The down side of the relaxed pose is that I think its going to have to be painted assembled. I'm nervous about trying with him on one leg.

RIMG0232.thumb.JPG.e30242b5cdfaee0f0549369621308b57.JPG

The flag and the yellow / green bands on the arms are going to be challenging.

I drilled the head so it can be stuck on a cocktail stick for painting and I started polishing his helmet

Thanks for looking in

Alan

RIMG0234.JPG

31 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Oh that flag will be a challenge!  

Oh yes. I don’t think I am capable of free handing it. I’m wondering if I can paint the white and then mask with small diamonds of tape and then paint the blue. Or is that cheating in the figure painting world?

Still not going to be easy 

Alan

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

Or is that cheating in the figure painting world?

Sounds good to me, this type of modeling is all about figuring a method to get the effect/look you want, any way of doing it is acceptable...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I second EG. Whatever way you can figure out to accomplish that job is fair.😄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Are the  diamonds  on the flag  textured  at all  ot  just flat?   would  make it easier  to paint  freehand  if they  where.

Nice looking sculpt   though.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The blue and white are the only indications he's Bavarian. No reason he couldn't be from a state or unit with a simpler flag.

Just sayin....

On 8/9/2024 at 9:04 PM, Egilman said:

Sounds good to me, this type of modeling is all about figuring a method to get the effect/look you want, any way of doing it is acceptable...

On 8/10/2024 at 8:10 AM, Canute said:

I second EG. Whatever way you can figure out to accomplish that job is fair.😄

On 8/10/2024 at 9:16 AM, Jack12477 said:

I second EG also. 

Thanks guys. I’d hate to attract lots of booing and hissing 

alan

22 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Are the  diamonds  on the flag  textured  at all  ot  just flat?   would  make it easier  to paint  freehand  if they  where.

Nice looking sculpt   though.

OC.

Hi OC, unfortunately the flag is completely plain so no guidelines or anything. It is a great figure though 

alan

15 hours ago, Harvey Golden said:

Would it be cheating to simply replace it with a paper or cloth flag?  Suppose the pattern could even be printed first. 

Thanks Harvey. The flag is mounded partly draped around his arm. I think it would need some heavy surgery so I’ll try some other ideas first 

alan

9 hours ago, Jsk said:

The blue and white are the only indications he's Bavarian. No reason he couldn't be from a state or unit with a simpler flag.

Just sayin....

Thanks Jeff

indeed he could. That will be a great back up option. His arm stripes might go the same way 

alan

It appears to be the same pattern as on this 1917 Albatross D.Va at the Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Albatros-sunset-Phil-Makanna-1024x681.jpg.012763378aabef13692e2e3d9de35563.jpg

Photo from Rhinebeck Aerodrome website. 

Nice figurine. Not wat ‘he’ did back then. The war he was fighting was one of the more devastating wars in Europe: some parts of Germany lost 50% of their population. Either by direct impact of the war, or as a result of the famine and diseases that were an indirect result of the war.

Jan

One could have a decal printed with the blue lozenges pattern and then piece them in parts over a white base-coat.

Otherwise, one needs to carefully layout the lozenge pattern in pencil over a white basecoat and then add the blue with a steady hand

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

On 8/11/2024 at 2:19 PM, Jack12477 said:

It appears to be the same pattern as on this 1917 Albatross D.Va at the Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Albatros-sunset-Phil-Makanna-1024x681.jpg.012763378aabef13692e2e3d9de35563.jpg

Photo from Rhinebeck Aerodrome website. 

Thanks Jack; thats a great photo. Painting the flag should be trivial compared to that expanse.

Alan

On 8/11/2024 at 3:15 PM, amateur said:

Nice figurine. Not wat ‘he’ did back then. The war he was fighting was one of the more devastating wars in Europe: some parts of Germany lost 50% of their population. Either by direct impact of the war, or as a result of the famine and diseases that were an indirect result of the war.

Jan

Jan

You are right, it devastated large areas of Europe. It seems like large parts of the continent fielded armies as the conflict expanded.

Alan

15 hours ago, wefalck said:

One could have a decal printed with the blue lozenges pattern and then piece them in parts over a white base-coat.

Otherwise, one needs to carefully layout the lozenge pattern in pencil over a white basecoat and then add the blue with a steady hand

Thanks for the input

I think the pencil guide and then paint the blue parts is how it was done on the photos that illustrate the figure. I may try that; its the simplest but requires the most skill.

I may have to forego the morning coffee for this

Alan

I've sprayed the figure with Mig One Shot black primer and then sprayed the directional coat of white to enhance the final tones of the colours

RIMG0244.thumb.JPG.b082db0f7613da20e2110afa03e7a177.JPGRIMG0245.thumb.JPG.8ac14084eaf17e2fa43dc52cbbe1022d.JPGRIMG0246.thumb.JPG.47b1e38fa935a714369ac6c4e9ae6af2.JPG

I started laying on the first coats of white on the flag. I think this bit needs doing before starting the rest of the figure. Might as well get most of the frustration out of the way at the start 😄

Thanks for looking in and the likes and comments

Alan

RIMG0255.JPG

RIMG0256.JPG

I polished the helmet and added a black wash. The face has been given a coat of grey Vallejo primer to let me see the features better.

RIMG0271.thumb.JPG.cb9e21a3b15ee36820d337785085e5b9.JPG

Then I had to face up to the flag. A few experiments convinced me that the pencil outline / steady hands approach was not appropriate for my skill level so I tried the masking route (boo hiss cheat). Initially that didn't work out much better as I was finding it difficult to generate consistent diamond shapes with the masking tape.

Then I remembered that I had this cutting template.

RIMG0273.thumb.JPG.110fa4c88902a7a4cac080635d261298.JPG

And with a new knife blade and an inch of masking tape. I had decent diamonds

RIMG0272.thumb.JPG.9bee1931a20d93f42ec9b3de9069b3e1.JPG

And these were placed on the flag and given a thin wash of matte clear coat to seal them. I was nervous the thinned blue paint would seep under the masks.

RIMG0267.thumb.JPG.bef20818e8d4d704eb57685bec63b54a.JPG

RIMG0268.thumb.JPG.7f5512c4470f15c39e2a77a1d47b2d40.JPG

The blue paint was brushed on and once hardened I got brave enough to pull teh masks off.

RIMG0278.thumb.JPG.5f7dab597305a0633316c4831f333e32.JPG

RIMG0280.thumb.JPG.529c2b5df0bcc45deef2cc78fa2cc555.JPG

Its not completely perfect but I think it will work. A little touch up should improve it and I think its a success for the method. I don't think I would have liked to paint Jacks Albatross that way though. I think a similar approach will be taken to the green bands on the tunic arms.

Thanks for looking in, the likes and comments

Alan

11 minutes ago, king derelict said:

I don't think I would have liked to paint Jacks Albatross that way though. 

That Albatros is a reproduction of the original.  The Aerodrome painted that pattern in 1:1 scale, see  Albatros D.Va story

Nice results on yours Alan. Nice work on the helmut too, it looks nicely pitted. 👌 

That has  come out  really well  Alan,  you can clearly see the  shapes  -  great  job on it mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 8/19/2024 at 5:37 PM, Jack12477 said:

That Albatros is a reproduction of the original.  The Aerodrome painted that pattern in 1:1 scale, see  Albatros D.Va story

Nice results on yours Alan. Nice work on the helmut too, it looks nicely pitted. 👌 

The aerodrome looks a fantastic place to visit. I would really like to take one of their flights too. The masking wasn’t as crisp as I would have liked but I tidied it up by hand and I think it’s acceptable 

alan

On 8/19/2024 at 7:51 PM, Old Collingwood said:

That has  come out  really well  Alan,  you can clearly see the  shapes  -  great  job on it mate.

OC.

Thank you OC. I nearly stripped it off to try again but I thought I would try to tidy it up by hand and I think it came out well enough to continue.

alan

44 minutes ago, king derelict said:

The aerodrome looks a fantastic place to visit. I would really like to take one of their flights too

It is well worth a visit, the aircraft collection is impressive as are the weekend air shows. I see their sightseeing plane over fly my house a lot. 

I picked this up again. I have been focussing on the Condor and Argosy (i get hopelessly distracted with three builds in progress). I've started on the head, its coming out okay although I need to rework the pupils. 

RIMG0301.thumb.JPG.1ccf2b3e8c487186814debade6589643.JPG

RIMG0303.thumb.JPG.43c93819951beb7cc36173a408e1d8df.JPG

I just read an article by a 54mm figure painter who not only gets the pupils on a consistent basis but also manages to achieve the white highlight in the pupil. Its time to consider knitting again.

In other news Nate arrived from Spain on Friday. A bit slower than usual because the Art Girona folks were at a miniatures show in Germany when the order arrived with them. A different sculptor but it looks very nice

RIMG0292.thumb.JPG.b9cdcd96828e5c4420521a3d45b44e62.JPG

Thanks for looking in and for the likes and comments

Alan

Re: whites of eyes. An old trick I learned in woodcarving was to take a modest sized pin, or standard wood toothpick, touch it to white paint, pick up small amount, then touch it to the part of the eye you want to be white.  You can use the same technique for the highlight on the iris/pupil. Take a wee bit of practice but it does work.