HMS Victory by ocean clipper - Caldercraft - 1/72

Nice work Derek, the lids look good...... looks like it's pretty tedious work, just take your time, you'll be finished beforw you know it ! :(

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Lids look good. Keep up the great work. You are doing a very fine job.

Mort

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Beautiful Vicky.

Nice painting on all those stern spindles, I dont know which would be worse/better, that or rigging all the gun ports. I like the tedious stuff so far as it gives me something to fade away into. I think many of use are that way, expecially anyone willing to tackle a Victory. She's on mangnificent lady. Looking forward to seeing your build grow, your doing a fabulous job

Very nice Derek,

I'm almost at that stage but I try to avoid it  :D

Not for long anymore I think.

Maybe I'm starting this weekend with it  :(

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Derek,

I've been building HMS Victory for two months now and am at the gun port lining stage.  I love the little tool that you designed and so I copied it using a couple of very small fish hooks.  Upon testing it, it seems to work.  I just can't imagine dropping lining pieces into the hull and never seeing them again.  I appreciate your log very much and have learned a lot from it.  When lining the ports, did you use regular or super glue?  It seems to me that super glue would be necessary if you want to dislodge the tool within a few seconds.  And did you prepaint the gun port linings before installing them?  I hope to hear from you as I'm anxious to get going again.  Thanks for all the information in your wonderful log

Jerry

Jerry it is nice to see you making progress in the build, lol - im unable to find your build log

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Jerri i used CA glue on lining the gun ports,and i painted the linings before  installing them,having said that they will ned touching up as you progress.Ther going to be a delay on any posting of off me,as i have a very ill wife so mY victory is going to have to wait      DEREK

Derek

give her our best wishes, for a speedy recovery

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Derek,

Thank you very much for the answers to my questions.  But most importantly, I wish your wife a speedy recovery and hope everything will be well again in your household.

Kevin,

Thanks for your inteest but I never started a build log.  I just can't make up my mind..LOL

Jerry

Hello Jerry

I think we are all waiting for you Jerry , come on start a build log we are all waiting for you to start it !!!! There can never be to many jotika Victory build logs on the go, so let us all enjoy your build log while you enjoy building your Vic . Regards DAVID

Hi David...

Truthfully I have all I can handle just trying to keep up with the build.  I did take pics as I progressed and at this stage of the project I have a file with 73 of them so if I did start a log I can show my progress.  

There are so many questions popping up as I proceed.  Now I'm at the stage where the manual calls for lining the ports and frankly I don't agree with the order of the manual.  I think it would be better to paint the yellow ochre and black stripes first so that when the prepainted red ochre gun port linings are added there'll be a clean line between these linings and the 1mm space to the side of the hull.  Also I guess I should paint the black to a little below the water line and let the copper plates cover any excess paint.    I have noticed that each builder has proceeded slightly differently at  this stage of the build.  I am also dickering with the idea of a 1x1 mm or 1x2 mm strip to delineate the water line.  I see that some builders have done this even though it's not to scale.

Also, I'm confused...Is your name Sid or David?  Either way, thank you so much for your contributions to this site.  I would never have gotten as far as I have without the contributions from you and the others.

Best,

Jerry

Kevin,

Thanks for your inteest but I never started a build log.  I just can't make up my mind..LOL

Jerry

Please start a log, all the questions you are asking, are repeated in most logs, it will save you either, asking the question in others ongoing builds, or having to PM someone, 

Having your own log, others will see what you are doing, give praise, and suggest ideas, to questions you have not thought off.

I appreciate the questions you have at present are the gun-port lining, but these will lead on the the completion of 2nd planking,, then the greatly loved by all  copper tiling.

There are plenty of members around to help, and LOL if in doubt check Gill's Victory out

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello again Jerry

Like Kevin said start a build log it will be better if you do, you can ask all the questions you need to and it will be the best idea.

Use 0.5mm x I mm styrene strip for you water line and start fitting your copper tiles under the strip. It will be better if you reply to myself......shipyard Sid, On my log, ( you have posted there before) Or to derek on he's log, as we are communicating via Derek's log at the moment.

We can all advice you better if you start a log, and you will receive the answer to your questions a lot easier as Kevin says. Post to me now and we can talk about your gun linings on my log, or post to Kevin on he's log, do it now to sort out you linings problem even before you start a log. Just do it Jerry . DAVID

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back derek

glad your wife is improving and as you said her progress has been excellent . You are doing really well, and buzzing along. I have got 8 lids left to fit hinges and eyelets on, then when they are fitted that's it. So that will be me for a few days. Keep up the good work, but don't neglect the garden, those plant pots and plastic flowers need dusting. Well done Derek ..Catch you later DAVID

Good Morning Derek

all the best to yr wife, my freind

and the build is looking good

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Derek,

Great to see that your wife is going upwards,wish her speedy recovery from us.

View of the ship is great!

Nice job isn't it, al those gun lids?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Best to your wife. Glad to hear she is progressing. The build looks really good.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Greetings derek

Well done young man !! I am in exactly the same position as you, ready to attach the bottom 15 lids, after fitting the string, hemp cotton stuff into the hull. Yes I was going to use styrene like Yon for the bendy bit, but got away with using beech strip as you know. I have sent you a few ideas on how you could get it sorted. Well done again derek. DAVID

Now i know what infront of me.Progress so far im working on secont planking rigth now.Happy to hear that your wife getting better.Keep up the good work im follow it with intress.....PS:sorry for my bad English but i hope you understand....Per-Olof

Hello derek

Well done on all that work, splendid stuff. Hope the ladies treatment is coming on well. I did the buckets but they were a mess, the handles are all over the place, so I put them away for later on. I am as you know awaiting eye pins from CMB ( out of stock) for my lower gun port lids, so I have made the boomkins but not fitted them, they will get knocked off, no doubt about that, and I have made the bowsprit and the jiboom , and now on with the flying jiboom. I will mail you later. Again well done derek it's coming on a ton. DAVID

Hi Derek

You've done a great job on those lids - I'm getting close to starting mine.  Spent two solid days on those buckets - probably 16 hours - then I redid them as I found I couldn't do the handles with them stuck in place.  I've ended up with a very average result - but I'm not going to attempt them again.

I feel there is probably a method of doing them right but I don't know what it is....

I'll post some pictures over the w/e.

Good luck with your buckets

Cheers

Yon

I agree - it would be no problem for a cnc machine.  I don't really know what to suggest except have a break for a bit and go back to it later which it sounds like you are already doing. I'm sure you will get there with a bit more experimentation.

Good luck !

Yon

Fantastic! Derek..... You've accomplished so much since I've last looked at your build..... excellent work.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

dont give up, 

a decent pair of pliers with some tape on the ends so as to not mark the brass rod, a a bit of practice, it will work - honest

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

dont give up, 

a decent pair of pliers with some tape on the ends so as to not mark the brass rod, a a bit of practice, it will work - honest

Hello Well i took the bull by the horns,or rather brass by the pliers as Kevin said,i used a thinner piece of brass then the manual instructed,sat back had a few beers glared at bows had a few more beers :cheers: then did a bit of grievious bodily harm to the brass strip,the results are in the photo well one side anyway,got to replicate this on the other side,i just for some reason had multi dramas with this bit.Oh yes i realise the brass profile is going to the lower grating and not the upper,but  it will do for me,actually i dont think it looks to bad(am now going to break me arm patting myself on the back) :dancetl6:  what you mean good  DEREK