HMS Victory by ocean clipper - Caldercraft - 1/72

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all well i have been lazy with my build not done much at all,weather has been to good to stay indoors so i been doing what i an really good at and that putting some shorts on  grabbing some cold beer and a book and sitting in garden.The few pathetic photos i am putting up is my months work  on the VIctory,well the builds not going anywhere but the weather might.Did i mention i floated some cement over me small garden wall ready for painting,well i delicated that job to my son and gave me orders out,been old and retired has it uses.  DEREK  :dancetl6::pirate41:

lol - it may be a months work - but it is something less to still do

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello derek

Well done young man. Well you've done more than me in a month. I have only just finished the fitting of the blocks on the masts. All the decorating is finished so I am sorted now and started up again on Saturday night, and back to to my two and a half hours a night building. I need to sort what the next phase is now, and getting lots of advice from some of the excellent builds with rigging being fitted. You've done some cracking work on your yards. I will get back to you later today, DAVID

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Derek

Saw your post on my Vic, many thanks.

Just been taking a look through your log (only dipped in a bit before)

Great Job! I see you say you enjoy the masts, same here.

I have done most of the turning on my yards/spars but not a lot of fitting out or painting, so you are ahead of me there.

You must be getting close to the rigging now, another fun job (although ratlines can be e bit of a ballache)

Your Vic is a credit to you, I will be keeping an eye on it.

All the best

Nick

Hello Derek -  All looking vey good - you have come along nicely since the Supply days.

I suspect you have seen these clips from youtube -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2WdU3Zkeig

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

• 3 weeks later...

hi Derek not seen anything of you in a couple of weeks, everything ok?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

hi Derek not seen anything of you in a couple of weeks, everything ok?

Yeh still alive and kicking mixture of things really being doing work in garden,got another bad gout attack,and putting shrouds on fore mast,i did not like they way i had them on there so took them all off and starting them again,bit of a slow process. DEREK :pirate41:

ok - i was just checking the Victory clan are all still ok, i must be following loads, but not heard from some in ages

all the best

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone i have been a bit occupied in the garden of late,so its catch up time,ok i have started doing the rigging realised after i had used wrong size rigging on main mast so tore it of and reordered some more sigh it happens,i have come away from the order of  doing the rigging in manual,going to do all shrouds  first then ratlines,after that go to the bowsprit i just personally find it easier this way.  DEREK  :pirate41:

post-14-0-49092100-1378466499_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-27784000-1378466513_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-59794300-1378466521_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-46554000-1378466530_thumb.jpg

Looking very good Derek, well done. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing the "tear it off and do it again" syndrome right now! I think I agree with you about doing the shrouds first and then tackling the bowsprit rigging...I know I'd probably destroy the bowsprit while rigging the shrouds!

Patrick

Looking very good Derek, well done. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing the "tear it off and do it again" syndrome right now! I think I agree with you about doing the shrouds first and then tackling the bowsprit rigging...I know I'd probably destroy the bowsprit while rigging the shrouds!

Patrick

Have a confession to make i did tear the end of bowsprit of ,not broke come apart at glue joints as luck would have it,that when i decided it can stay of and be done after. DEREK :pirate41:

Hi Derek,

Nice that you are at the rigging stage.

Then I'm not the only one ....

You have to work the way that works for you.

I will follow the rigging.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Derek

Cracking stuff derek. it's all becoming a bit tricky now, tying hundreds of knots. But it's very relaxing . Well I also had to do a bit of tearing off. All 22 of my foremast shrouds were chopped of and renewed after they got tangled. I could not be chewed to sort them, so just ordered some new ones along side other stuff. I will be starting the ratlines tonight. Good luck with the rest of your shrouds, then futtock staves. DAVID

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All sorry i not posted much of late but i have been a bit busy,ok as you can see by the photos i am now into the ratlines i really am enjoying doing these,if there is going to be a moan is will be the ratlines make my shoulders  ache real bad,its either the angle i sit at doing them or it is a age thing, i have to stop after a few lines.One thing for sure this build will take me into next year i still have lots of  yards to make yet.I must admit i have drifted away slightly from the manuals order of building,only because i personally found it easier.My next headache will be where do i put a 5 foot display case after i have made it,admiral allready gave one or two hints as to where i can stick it.Hope you enjoy the photos they not the best but there again i am not David Bailey..   DEREK    :pirate41:

post-14-0-50888700-1379704045_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-39224900-1379704055_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-95386500-1379704064_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-67991700-1379704073_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-03673600-1379704086_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-11459900-1379704094_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-53528100-1379704107_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-29183600-1379704115_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-57160500-1379704125_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-46783600-1379704133_thumb.jpg

nice to see you back, and seeing lots of progress on your build, white ratlines seam to be in favour at present

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hey Derek, are you going to have enough room up there  where the Admiral told you to stick it?? :D  :D  :D

Frank  ( rigging is look'n good!! )

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hey Derek, are you going to have enough room up there  where the Admiral told you to stick it?? :D  :D  :D

Frank  ( rigging is look'n good!! )

I'm just hoping there's real daylight available instead of moonlight so we can see the ship.  :o  :o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello derek

You could be the first person to sail a model ship up the channel and come out in the wash !!!!!!!!!! Well well done with the ratlines so far. You are a bit ahead of me . I have finished the foremast and start the main mast tonight, I have tied 1060 knots on the foremast gave or take , and my spacings are not as narrow as they should, so there should be more. Anyway well done again DAVID

Hi all well any one who has read my comment will know i ofter criticise the lack of info in joitikas manual or the way they explain things,well i think they have now lost the plot entirley and i found this funny.This applies to  jotikas hms victory only its in manual 3 page 13  under Topgallant Shrouds i will quote the bottom lines. "As the topgallant shrouds are close together,at this scale,you may find it of benefit to rig these blocks in a  strop as shown and run the first and second SHROUDS AS FALLS FROM THE **** OF THE BLOCKS"   er its not me is it lol     DEREK :dancetl6:ok it seems the site blocks some words best i can do is for the missing word from manual is Alpha Romeo Sierra Echo :dancetl6:

lol - i just read the online instructions to see if they had updated them - NO they have not

http://www.aeromarine-uk.com/Manuals/Victory_Rig.pdf

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 3 weeks later...

Hello derek

Well done with the ratlines. Yes it's a bit laborious , and awkward at times. I have only only one short run of ratlines to do on the mizzen which will take about an hour. I like your spice jar containers. Ok away you go with those ratlines, WD 40 to hand for your aching joints. DAVID

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Derek,

I am just starting my build of the Victory and a little envious of how far along you and some of the other chaps are on your builds. I hope mine looks as well as yours one day. I really appreciate your pictures of the early stages of your build. According to one of your pictures you had a bit of a similar issue that I am having now. It is: I am trying to line up patterns 270 and 272 against the stern. On page 5 of the manual (photo 006) it shows the smooth run of the templates between 270, 272 against stern extension 106. If I try to line all these up I find that part of bulkhead 17 shows in the last gun port of 272. If I slide 272 ahead to cover the bulkhead then of course the patterns don’t line up. I will put a picture on my build log. Do you remember is this an issue and if it was how did you resolve it.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I have also asked David for his opnion but he has not had a chance to get back to me.

Eric. C 

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings one and all i have just come to end of the ratlines :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic at long last.Looking forward to doing some other part of the rigging assuming i can make sense of jotika manual part 3.Predicting a summer finish on this build as i still have all the yards to make up well most of them anyway. Been looking ahead at next build and so far it will not be a tall ship i seen enough rigging for a while,i might do Mississipi paddle boat for a change.Have enclosed a few photo's not that they much different from the previous ones,you can only take so many  photo's of rigging especially ratlines,next  photo's will be when i get onto another part of the rigging.    DEREK :pirate41:

post-14-0-54226000-1383821686_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-36905000-1383821698_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-60850300-1383821717_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-95331900-1383821729_thumb.jpg

Hi Derek,

I am just starting my build of the Victory and a little envious of how far along you and some of the other chaps are on your builds. I hope mine looks as well as yours one day. I really appreciate your pictures of the early stages of your build. According to one of your pictures you had a bit of a similar issue that I am having now. It is: I am trying to line up patterns 270 and 272 against the stern. On page 5 of the manual (photo 006) it shows the smooth run of the templates between 270, 272 against stern extension 106. If I try to line all these up I find that part of bulkhead 17 shows in the last gun port of 272. If I slide 272 ahead to cover the bulkhead then of course the patterns don’t line up. I will put a picture on my build log. Do you remember is this an issue and if it was how did you resolve it.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I have also asked David for his opnion but he has not had a chance to get back to me.

Eric. C 

Hi Eric yes i had a few probs there but for the life of me i cant remember what i did to resolve,there is a bit ion my log about it not sure if its much help,was a long time ago i did that part    DEREK

Hi Derek,

Just catching up on your build.  Great job on deciphering the manual and building her well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)