Finding cannons available for large scratch build scales

Hello Everyone!

So I'm starting the planning process for a large scratch build project for the distant future. I'm confident I can create everything except one item, the cannons.

I have 100 cannons/cannonades ranging from 12 to 36lb. Scale; 1:48 to 1:42.

Yes, this is big. I have been searching  online, but I'm not seeing much at this scale. I'm not interested in creating these on a lathe, just too many and too many different sizes.

Would it be feasible to outsource these? I would prefer to have them in brass but I'm open to suggestions!

So jump in here and give me your 2 cents, and if you have a dime, I'm all ears :)!

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

If you are scratch building, its seems odd to want to buy cannon off-the-shelf!

If you don't want to do repetitive turning, simply make a master of each variety and then make a mold. You can then cast all the cannon in the sizes that you need.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

If you cast them, cast them with trunnions. You could make the patterns and take them to a foundry that will cast in brass or a malleable bronze. The foundry castings would allow you to, after drilling the bores, to load and fire the things, a filament ignition device should be easy to make. Why have guns, if you can't shoot the things?

jud

Hi Brian!

I looked at Chuck's site. Syren doesn't have cannons this size. Without getting into specifics, my largest cannons would be 83mm given a scale of 1:42.

I don't want to get into specifics about the build itself. Just looking for sources for these larger than normal armaments.

Warm Regards,

Bill

Druxey,

I'm only looking for the guns themselves. I have specific plans for the carriages. I would like to find some of the quality that Syren is offering aftermarket.

Whether I have to have them custom made or another source. I'm open to the casting but would need to learn more about it.

jud,

Umm, I have no business owning a cannon that really fires,lol! Maybe when I move to 1:1 scale ;)

Bill

John & Druxey,

So your talking about wooden masters? What is the mold made out of?

Bill

83mm?  That's about 3.5 inches.  I'm not finding anything that big at all the normal places.. like BJ, ME, Cornwall, etc.  Those might have to be total scratch made which means a master and casting would be the best way.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

Exactly, 3.3 to be exact! I don't mind making masters but don't know where to start with creating molds usable for a foundry.

sy,

I like a lead that also sounds like answers are to follow! Thanks sy :)!

Warm Regards,

Bill

Bill check out the arts departments of your local Universities and Collages, many teach bronze casting, along with having a lab equipped to do small runs. They usually will work with people needing castings and because your ship building can be considered an art they should be friendly. Might even work out some trading, offer to make some presentations of your work and techniques.

jud

I've made wooden masters, used RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) rubber and cast using lead-free pewter. The molds were made as two-piece ones with all the details (vent field, trunnions) and reinforced by a two-piece dental plaster outer 'jacket'. This was for safety and because the rubber was quite soft and easily deformed. With a little experience, the results are great.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

There are some 1;48's available here...

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/accessories/artillery/cannon/index.htm

I saw some at 80mm and 85mm,,, so might have what you are looking for

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Bill,

Good advice from Druxey.  I have made masters in metal, then molds using RTVs.  If you cast the production run barrels with metal be sure the rubber you purchase will hold up to the temperature for mutilple pours.  You can also cast the barrels using casting  resin.  There are resin dyes so you can tint the resin them cast them gray or black if you wish.  I believe you can also get pre-dyed resins as well.  You can get mold making supplies from Micro Mark in NJ, Polymeric Systems in Phoenixville, PA  and a few other places.  

I have used two piece molds and have never been happy as there is always a seam. You can in fact cast the trunnions using two piece molds, but for me, the work to get rid of the seam is far more cumbersome than using a single piece mold then adding the trunion.    I have yet not been able to  successfully cast the trunnion in a single piece mold.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

druxey,

That sounds like an interesting process. I would love to see some pic or video of the application :)

Meredith,

Thank you! I looked for a long time for a sight like that. Great source for my kit builds for sure. Now I need to learn more about casting so I can make the decision that best suits this project.

Thank you both!

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Bill

Another option is 3D printing.  A gentlemen on Shapeways.com has a set of cannons for the Hannah.  I contacted him offline and asked him if it were possible to change the scale and quantity.  He is going to adjust to my needs and re-post.  You could have them printed with a black material so clean-up would not require touch up.

Shawn Carden
Fredericksburg, VA

Completed ships: 

MS kit of Armed Virginian Sloop of 1768 (2005)
Two Admiralty style Lexingtons based upon Clay Feldman's SIS Articles (2006-2011)
MS Kit Prince de Neufchatel (2006-2012)

LSS's Fair American (2013)

Harold Hahn's Hannah scratchbuilt, no instructions (2016 - ??)

In Progress: Just restarted after a 7 year break
Future planned: Washington 1776 Galley