USS Constitution by lambsbk – Revell – 1/96 - PLASTIC – With Fiber Optics

Kim: in answer to a previous question you posted - the furniture is all made of styrene (with the exception of the camboose floor - made of styrene base, brass square tube for the frame, thin blackened brass floor to simulate lead, and copper tape mounted on the collar). I don't have a large sampling of the parts but bought some styrene tubes, squares and a sample pack. They are measured, mixed, and matched for the piece needed then glued, sanded, and finished. Wood grain is simulated in some pieces by 'roughing' them slightly with a wooden nail file along the grain.

The parts are scaled from references on this site (i.e. other modelers), books I own, and via web search. When I am reasonably happy with what I need to make I start sculpting it - I hope that answers your question.

she looks great Dave........are you taking lessons from Dr. Dafi?  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Denis:

I just read through it...I could have saved myself a lot of thinking through on some of these items in my build had I seen it had already been worked out. Amazing detail. I could use some lessons... :) :)

I'm doing something similar with my   U.S.S.United States {revell}.    love the detail he put into his build......I  know  I'll never get  to that level,   but it will be fun trying  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave, just now catching up with the logs.  I like the way your pumps came out.  Lot's been going on and had a bunch of honey-do's to get out of the way.  Going to get some work done in the next few days.  I think your pumps came out at a good scale. Hope all is well my friend.... 

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Dave,

Made a second pot of coffee and went through you log. Very nice, the amount of details that  you have added through your excellent research is paying of handsomely. Beautiful build. Glad I found your log after you dropped in on mine. Kudos to your work

Regards,

Michael

PS: As many have, I also built the Revell Constitution so many years ago. Interestingly enough the revel kit still stands up today as a plastic kit.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Shipbuilders,

Just got my aots book in the mail and my "Connie 1812" build log will be coming soon. I do have a question about marquardt's mast detail... The mast drawings show woolding of a dark color on the masts. All of the mast pics I've seen show just white masts with no apparent woolding on them. Should it be painted white? Are the drawings wrong, should the woolding not be there ? Any help here would be great.

Thanks

Joe

Current build: 1/96 Revell USS Constitution

On the shelf: 1/350 Minicraft RMS Titanic

Coming soon: Jump to Wood (Modelshipways Sultana? Suggestions for a first wood kit are appreciated)

This question was discussed earlier in this log. Check out the following from Evan (Force9):

"The color of the mast hoops is interesting - there is much debate on what is appropriate.  I think it was most common across the world's navies to paint them black to contrast with the mast color up until the battle of Trafalgar.  We know that going into that battle, Admiral Nelson had his fleet painted a uniform pattern as an IFF measure... Having been in so many fleet engagements, nobody understood the fog of war better than Nelson.  And he knew that his upcoming tactics would entail an incredible intermingling of the combatants with banks of gunpowder smoke obscuring everything.  Oftentimes it would only be masts looming above the smoke or a bowsprit emerging from a gray haze that would indicate a nearby ship.  With this in mind, he ordered that all of his ships paint over their iron hoops to match the mast color as a way of making the British ships distinct.  (The combined French/Spanish fleet was still utilizing rope wouldings instead of iron hoops) It is interesting to note that the HMS Victory was restored in the 20th century to the most accurate historic Admiralty records available - which clearly indicated the black iron bands on the masts.  This is surely how she emerged from her Great Repair shortly before Trafalgar and that is how she appeared up into the 1970's.  But research revealed the Victory's signal log with an entry showing Nelson yelling at a couple of his ships to paint out their @#!*&^ mast bands to match the rest of the fleet as they formed up for the great battle.  Apparently these were outlying units that hadn't gotten the word to paint them out to match the masts, which suggests that Nelson had ordered this change very shortly before Trafalgar.  It should be pointed out that the Turner painting and the Clarkson Stanfield work both sat showing the painted out mast hoops for over 150 years.  These paintings were heavily influenced by veterans of the battle.

Gradually the British navy adopted the Trafalgar painting practices and the American navy generally followed suit.  The Hull model shows the mast hoops on Constitution painted out and the credible contemporary paintings do as well.  But all of this, of course, can/should be superseded by artistic license - it is your model.

Happy modeling!

EG"

I hope that helps.

Edited by lambsbk

Don't know how I missed that... Although I read the logs on an iPhone so I might have skipped over a few pages due to the small screen...thanks for the repost

Current build: 1/96 Revell USS Constitution

On the shelf: 1/350 Minicraft RMS Titanic

Coming soon: Jump to Wood (Modelshipways Sultana? Suggestions for a first wood kit are appreciated)

• 1 month later...

Well...it has been so long since my last post I hope I remember how to update!

I am finally tackling the capstan. Since the kit supplied capstan is only on the Spar deck I will make one that more properly transitions both the Spar deck and the Gun deck. I was not happy with the current capstan on the Connie in Boston as it is designed to haul CHAIN and not HEMP. The drawing below from the USS Constitution website is what I will be trying to produce. The core of the capstan was 7/32" at this scale ...no Plastruct in my stock that size BUT I do have a spare model...and the masts are perfect (spare mast material is probably what they used anyway) - so that is what you see clamped crudely here. This will be the core start of the capstan. All the measurements are in 32nds of an inch. I will post more pics as the capstan morphs to completion.

post-916-0-90122300-1397448849_thumb.jpg

Edited by lambsbk

Good to see you back Dave ..... and Happy New Year.

Hand made capstans are fun.  Can't wait.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I may try to do the same thing on my United States build.  with so many Connie builds in progress.......I'll be able to see the many different directions folks take.   I've replaced the decks with wood.......and most likely I'll be doing the same to the masts.  looks like I'll have the  'spare parts'  your referring to :)     I tried to talk the admiral into letting me get a Connie kit......but she told me I was insane!  man........I hate it whenever she's right  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I placed 1.0mm plastic in a octagonal pattern to receive the cogs of the lower portion of the capstan. The base is also finished. A hexagonal pattern just did not work.

post-916-0-73547000-1397448892_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-17203300-1397448917_thumb.jpg

Edited by lambsbk

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice.  I have no concept how to make one out of plastic.  Most interesting. 

I've seen some blueprints of real capstans and have been amazed at how they were constructed.  Our forefathers were pretty darned good, mechanically !!!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie: I don't either. I am making this up as I go. :)

Henry: I have NO doubt you can add this if you decide to. Just a reminder - the measurements in the above pic are 1/32 inches. 1/96 scale.

Thanks for the likes guys.

when I built my Connie,  so many years ago..........and then the United States,  for that matter......I had no idea that Revell left out these important parts.   gun deck capstan....riding bits,  chain pumps.........gonna make this second United States build much more interesting :)

nice work Dave.......what is the overall height of the capstan?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

From top to bottom it will be about 34/32". Maybe slightly taller. I will probably have to cut the shaft in half to place it into the spar deck then glue it back together. Before doing that I am going to try to place it through the deck in one piece and THEN add the cogs to the upper capstan. It will be tricky not getting the glue onto the deck however. That would not be a big deal but I am trying to preserve the Revell intent of allowing it to turn mechanically, even though I will almost certainly will not be hauling any lines with it.

...but you never know. :)

Edited by lambsbk

• 2 weeks later...

Just a minor update. I've had a lot of travel lately.

I wanted to preserve the rotation of the capstan on both levels. Revell had originally allowed the spar deck capstan to rotate and I wanted that also. The trick is getting it through the deck without painting the deck or gluing it to the deck. So I came up with a capstan 'sleeve' idea. I.e., I will make the spar deck capstan separately and paint it separately and then glue the entire assembly to the axle. A start of this idea is shown below.

post-916-0-98252900-1392001863_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-90228100-1392002123_thumb.jpg

Edited by lambsbk

Kind of like putting in a casing in a well.  Nice idea!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The capstan is finally ready to fit into the spar deck and start closing the aft section of the deck. This little model has been more time consuming than I thought it would be.

The plastic was first glued into position then shaped.

post-916-0-81373800-1392603746_thumb.jpg