USS Constitution by lambsbk – Revell – 1/96 - PLASTIC – With Fiber Optics

Wonderful work!  I like the blackened effect on the Camboose very much!

I suspect some well placed eyelets could be substituted for the lousy nobs that Revell molded into the bulwarks for the breeching lines.

Good stuff!

EG

Thanks Evan. I am afraid I will lose a little sleep over those knobs tonight and how to deal with them. I think I'll start scouring the connie reference drawings and photos again.

BTW: your build is an inspiration - I am really enjoying all you are working into it.

Dave

The gun carriages look very good as does your camboose. Very nice work.

The ringbolts in the side for the tackles will not be seen so you can work around them if you like. If you choose to rig the breechings, you will need two ringbolts per gun, one on either side of each gun.

Russ

Edited by russ

Thanks for the complement Runner63. You built (and finished) 2 of these!  Congratulations. I hope your friend appreciated what a gift that was.

My build did not start out to be so detail oriented (and I still do not come close to others building this model in all of it's incarnations) but seeing the lack of some detail in the kit and seeing some of the fine work of others (andymech, force 9, modeler12, texxn5 -and others too many to name) has inspired me to do what I can to improve this build.

Again, thanks for watching.

I've had one of these Revell 1/96 Constitutions on my shelf for a few years but never considered getting into it again.  After looking at the builds you and the other guys are doing on these I am almost tempted to open that thing open and work on it.  I, like many others, have built this ship a couple of times over the years starting when it was first introduced and more recently about 20 years ago.  Both are long gone.  I was never happy with the three peice decks but looks like there are alot of good ideas on how to deal with those.  I was thinking of using very thin prepainted styrene strips or thin wood strips on top of the deck.  I've seen one log where wood strips are used but I thought the thin styrene (though costly) would just do the trick.  Anyway, I think I will go home tonight and pull the thing down off the shelf and look into it.  Thanks for the inspiration all.

LR, break it out....the hardest step is getting started. Look at the pictures in the logs....drool some, then break it out! and get started....I look forward to watching the build...

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Your caboose came out great.  cannons are looking particularly fine.  I'm sure you will work out mountings for the breeching line.  I used eyelets cut from ends of small fish hooks, inexpensive, available and easy.  I should have drilled the holes for them before I joined the jul together but managed to drill them after using a battery powered Dremel.  Great to see you progress :D

LR--I hope you tackle the Constitution.  Great kit which with some care builds nicely.  Heaps of nice folk here to help you a long.  Jump right in and have a ball!

Dan

Not much done yesterday. The muzzle of the cannons had some internal flash and in the right light this was annoyingly visible. The muzzle diameter of 5.6" worked out to 7/128" at 1/96 scale...well I was just fresh out of that size drill bit so 1/16" did the trick and now the cannons are smooth bore again.

My anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks and I just found out my wife has booked us at Boston. I had suggested Lake Tahoe but she knew I wanted to visit Boston (and she knew WHY) (she also wants to see the TOWN of Boston) so we are spending the week there. How cool is that!

Edited by lambsbk

Get a Canoli at Mikes Pastry in the north end. Sign up for the constitution experience tour on Tuesday morning. Tour Fenway Park - or get tickets for a game. Rent a canoe at South bridge and paddle under the old north bridge in Concord.

Enjoy!

I still have not worked out the bulwark breeching attachment yet but I am leaning toward a cleat and pin method with a bullseye. It seems to predominate in the referenced material online and I think I can fabricate these with some labor. I will be on board the ship next week and between that and the museum I may get it finalized in my head.

post-916-0-12321200-1371440148.jpg

So instead I worked on the aft rider bitt today. It was my first solid build with styrene and I kinda' had fun with it. There was a bit of variability in the length of the bitt depending on the reference and I went toward the longer size. I still need to do some mild filing and painting.

post-916-0-66161000-1371440324_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-47553200-1371440336_thumb.jpg

What you show for the breeching is probably not what it used back in its early career. That is what they have now, but I would not think that sort of arrangement was used in the 1812 era. In that period it was more likely to see a ringbolt on each side of the gunport to take the breeching. Then further out from the gunport there would be another ringbolt on each side to take the side tackles.

The rider bitt loks very good. Nice work there.

Russ

Thanks Russ. I do have plenty of those ring bolts so it would be easier. Removing the flash from the inner diameter makes them look a lot better. At any rate I doubt if I get much further over the next few weeks. Too many other things competing for attention. B)

Edited by lambsbk

If you mean the eyebolts that came with the kit, they might work. They are not ringbolts because they do not have the ring interlocking in the eyeb of the bolt, but they would do, especially on the gundeck where they will not be seen much.

Russ

I like what you have done with your riding bit.  Nice proportions and the little angled bracket is super.  What plans are you working to?  I have the Anatomy book but it only shows the bits in plan view without any details.

Have a happy and safe trip and take plenty of pictures.

Dan

Dan: I believe the plans came from a link on Force9's reference list although I can not locate the reference now. They are Naval plans of the more modern restoration of the ship 1973(after many refits) and I only used them as a general reference for the size of the timbers and their general spacing. For instance the Bitt pins are wider in 1973 due to the addition of iron to accommodate the chain cable.The Marquardt AOTS (p.49, 71, and 78) was used for comparison and in general it agreed with the other reference concerning placement. The timber size was referenced to the 1973 specs. since the dimensions were listed. It is a PDF file so I could not upload to the site but I did a screen shot below. It is not great magnified but maybe you can see some details.

I am sorry I did not log the source reference well. I downloaded it before really getting into doing this log and I have since learned from other members to document a bit better - or, more correctly - I have observed their more careful approach to documentation and now at this latter stage am trying to mimic that documentation where I can.

post-916-0-25988400-1371606565_thumb.jpg

Edited by lambsbk

Thank you so much for the references you have used.  I found the one in your post on line and I had missed the plan in ATOS (page 49) Which is the bees knees.  Now I can proceed :D

I too am painfully learning to document what I am doing as I have now forgotten exactly which paints I used to finish my carriages.  I should have taken notes as to colours and materials used as I can see this will be a much longer build than I am accustomed to.  

Much appreciate the help.

Dan

This will be my last post for a few weeks. I am busy packing for my trip to Boston. I will get lots of pics. Thanks again Evan for the visit/tourist suggestions. I, unfortunately, may not get to do the extended experience tour. I have not given up hope on that yet though. I finished the aft rider bitt and placed it (dry) in relative position. It IS starting to look like a deck. Exciting. :)

Shape detail, Paint and wood grain, and in relative position, dry.

post-916-0-34181300-1397448020_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-44345300-1397448134_thumb.jpg

post-916-0-08212300-1397448153_thumb.jpg

Edited by lambsbk

Well, concerning the extended tour of the Constitution a member of this forum has come to my rescue. I was not going to be able to do the tour due to my anniversary falling on Tuesday (the only day for extended tours). But Henry (popeye2sea) has offered to get me on an extended tour after hours. That is just too cool: extended tour AND a MSW member's knowledge...how can you beat that?

Dave...

in Boston :)

Edited by lambsbk

Hi Guys, Just following the Posts...That is just Too Cool, Mate...!!! Way to go Henry ( Popeye2Sea)...!!! Outstanding...I'm SOOO Jealous, I'd REALLY like to do that in the near future, as soon as I can break-away from Colorado...!!! Keep up the good work guys...!!! Blessings, Kim

Current Builds in Progress: 'Novelty Build'...'DreamShip'...'Wooden Shoe' of 'Wynken, Blinkin, & Nod' - U.S.S. Constitution (Revell) ; America .