Royal William by pirozzi - FINISHED - Euromodels - 1/70

Vince

Looking better every day! Where did you find the cradle that is holding your ship?

regards

J

Hi JT,

I was looking at a build log by Anja on this site years ago and noticed she had her ship clamped on a nice little stand and it was marked made by Dremel. I contacted them and was told that the mini work station was discontinued several years ago and no longer available in the US. It was however still available in Europe. I found a supply house in Germany through the Amazon website and ordered it through them. It is a great tool and I use it a lot.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

Hi Vince, I am working on the same area of the ship as you at the moment. I thought I would drop in a note to remind you to drill holes for your gammoning. I note that you have installed the lower set of decorations minus the gammoning hole. There should also be another gammon hole just inside the railings. This will be almost impossible for you to install if you do the beakhead railings first. 

Sorry if you were already planning to do this, but I thought that I should give you a reminder in case you didn't realize this. 

(edit) oops, just saw the gammoning hole! 

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi Vince, I am working on the same area of the ship as you at the moment. I thought I would drop in a note to remind you to drill holes for your gammoning. I note that you have installed the lower set of decorations minus the gammoning hole. There should also be another gammon hole just inside the railings. This will be almost impossible for you to install if you do the beakhead railings first. 

Sorry if you were already planning to do this, but I thought that I should give you a reminder in case you didn't realize this. 

(edit) oops, just saw the gammoning hole! 

Hi Keith,

Yes I remembered to cut the holes. There are 2 holes, one in the decorations and another higher up on the stem. The one on the stem has not been posted yet. Thanks for looking out for me. It won't be the first time I forgot to do something critical until too late. :o

Vince:

What is that devise in the front left corner of your work bench?  Royal William is looking great!!!

regards

J

Hi J,

That is a little metal roller press that is used to bend planks and soft metal without the use of heat. In most cases you don't even need to soak the wood. Just adjust the rollers for the thickness you want and run the material through by cranking the handle. It does a very nice job of evenly bending. If the wood is particularly thick or hard, a little soaking first helps. For hull planks, you don't need soaking at all. I used it with the Royal William for all of the planks and even the heavy wales. I got it from Micro-Mark.

Vince:

What is that devise in the front left corner of your work bench?  Royal William is looking great!!!

regards

J

Wow, sharp eyes. Another tool to add to my "must acquire" list.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing up with adding the remainder of the head rails. After placing the rails, I noticed that the top rail was curved so that it was way out from the lower rails. This would make the head timbers uneven and at a impractical angle. I had to remove the top rails and completely rebend them so they followed the curve of the lower rails more closely. Since they were already painted, using a torch was not a good idea. I had to bend them by hand, very carefully and slowly so as not to break them. The last photo shows the top rail hugging the hull more closely. Another mistake I learned from. Installing the rails from the bottom up would make more sense. :(

post-579-0-87588800-1464368204_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-35389500-1464368206_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-64314100-1464368207_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-54760600-1464368208_thumb.jpg

Vince, you have experienced that 'Euromodel challenge' in producing those rails - and what a great job you have done. This is what sets Euromodel 'kits' apart from so many others. The opportunity to put your own interpretation into the build and not having to do everything in a lock-step method... and this is what you are doing. Interestingly, I had to assist a person from Sydney through his Euromodel build - which he completed; he then thought that was enough of Euromodel, went on to another manufacturer and a standard kit, got bored with it and went back and bought another Euromodel 'kit'. He missed that unique challenge !

That is why I, and many others, are following your build with great interest. We like to see how your own individual approach evolves. Keep at it and keep posting.

Pete

Good work, Vince. Please note that the gratings need to be installed as well. I have been studying the curvature of the topmost rail, and I suspect that yours curves a little too far down to accept the gratings when it comes time to install them. From what I can tell, the top railings should be approximately at the level of the bowsprit. I am away from home at the moment so I can't check my plans, but that is what I remember.

Regards, Keith

Vince, pretty difficult to assess the position of your top rail from the photos above but I thought I would throw in the attached photo which could/ should serve as a guide to the top rail/ grate positioning. The photo does not clearly show the fact that the grate frame is almost totally above the top rail mid-way along. The drawings in side view do not show any of that frame - it seems to me that some will be visible however the rail is curved. In the end, you have to go with what you produce. I have a large data bank of photos to assist in your interpretation of this ship, so if there is any hiccup, send me a PM and I could send a few photos.

Pete

post-593-0-04196100-1464504047.jpg

post-593-0-52708900-1464504483.jpg

Edited by piratepete007

Good work, Vince. Please note that the gratings need to be installed as well. I have been studying the curvature of the topmost rail, and I suspect that yours curves a little too far down to accept the gratings when it comes time to install them. From what I can tell, the top railings should be approximately at the level of the bowsprit. I am away from home at the moment so I can't check my plans, but that is what I remember.

Hi Keith,

You are correct about the level of the gratings. Having had to consider so many things in bending and installing the top rails more than once, I was bound to miss something. The gratings will be a little bit lower as a result. I am not going to remove the rails again and try to rebend them at this point. I think it will look OK in the end, I hope.

G'day Vince

Incredible work on the bow section! Don't worry if the grating is a bit low. What you've done is top - notched. These difference makes your RW unique and it's your signature on this wonderful model.

As Keith's model is different from yours and others, so are all of the other Euromodel's RW models because I believe that's the secret why these kits are so popular and challenging.

Havagooday my friend

Greg [

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

As Keith's model is different from yours and others, so are all of the other Euromodel's RW models because I believe that's the secret why these kits are so popular and challenging.

I wouldn't call it "popular" ... compare how many Royal Williams (or even Euromodel kits) there are on MSW. Now do a count of Caldercraft Victory kits (that's what I call "popular"!). When you are done with that, do a count of Vasa's, Royal Carolines, Caldercraft Agamemnons, and Cutty Sarks. There are a total of three active RW logs and two dormant ones. 

Regards, Keith

lovely work, I must admit, from what I have seen, that I made the right decision in not going for this kit, not with my skill levels as they are, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Actually, Kevin and others, the Euromodel kits uniquely allow you to work at many different levels of difficulty. What you are seeing on MSW are some very skilled builders - like KeithW - who are 'pushing the boundaries' and thoroughly enjoying what they do. So what is presented is not the standard level of build. Their work in milling out the windows is a high skill level BUT many, many completed Euromodel ships (and others) simply have the solid window panes painted over. It does not have to be complicated !

Have a look at the Euromodel photo gallery and you will see what I mean - every ship is shown there in quite some detail. I don't think any of those displayed models have their windows milled out. There are just so many things you could do to enhance these models. While on their site, notice they are having a really big discount on all their models.

Pete

Edited by piratepete007

Its nice 

Actually, Kevin and others, the Euromodel kits uniquely allow you to work at many different levels of difficulty. What you are seeing on MSW are some very skilled builders - like KeithW - who are 'pushing the boundaries' and thoroughly enjoying what they do. So what is presented is not the standard level of build. Their work in milling out the windows is a high skill level BUT many, many completed Euromodel ships (and others) simply have the solid window panes painted over. It does not have to be complicated !

Have a look at the Euromodel photo gallery and you will see what I mean - every ship is shown there in quite some detail. I don't think any of those displayed models have their windows milled out. There are just so many things you could do to enhance these models. While on their site, notice they are having a really big discount on all their models.

Pete

Good morning Pete 

It is nice to see their offer is back on, unfortunately i may never have the opportunity to build another 1st rate, and still have quite a lot to do on my present one, I just had the big choice at the start to do one or the other

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

OK, a question for all Royal William builders. See the attached photo.... It is a metal part included in the Euro kit with a number of "11155". What is it?? Can't find anything on the plans or drawings even mentioning this. I believe it has something to do with the bow ornaments since the number is in the sequence for the parts there.  HELP! :o

post-579-0-18906400-1465579435_thumb.jpg