Royal William by pirozzi - FINISHED - Euromodels - 1/70

Hi Vince

Nice looking cannons, they will look even better when you have rigged them.

You are giving us all a lesson in model building a master class if ever I have seen one.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Denis.

Edited by Denis R

Hi Vince

Nice looking cannons, they will look even better when you have rigged them.

You are giving us all a lesson in model building a master class if ever I have seen one.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Denis.

Thanks Denis. How is your project coming?

• 5 weeks later...

The starboard main deck gun battery completed. Putting this much detail is very time consuming. I have completed several ships with complex rigging, which is my favorite part, but rigging these guns is tougher. The close quarters and short lengths is a real challenge. I still have to do the port side. :o The quaterdeck and forecastle guns are even smaller. :(

Vince P. :dancetl6:

post-579-0-90993900-1480289979_thumb.jpg

Hi Denis,

The heavy ropes were premeasured because the eyebolts and rings have to be attached before they are placed on the bulwarks. As for the blocks and rigging, I have a little jig that I place the blocks in and then rig them. I set up the jig for the correct length and then made all of the tackle. The rope coils were made separately on another jig.

Hi Vince

Nice rigging on the cannons.

Did you pre measure each rope for every cannon or just do them by eye one by one.

Denis.

The member we know as Pirate Pete 007 has asked me to clarify something. I often refer to him as being from Euromodel. While he does do some consulting and has created fabulous build notes for most of their high end kits, he does not work for them and is not directly affiliated with the company. As far as I am concerned, he is the guru when it comes to building their kits, and I have and will continue to rely on his invaluable help when needed, provided he continues to make himself available to people like me.

He also asked me to mention that Euromodel is offering huge discounts right now if any one is interested is buying any of their kits. They are usually expensive, especially their high end kits like the Royal William.

Thanks,

Vince P.  :dancetl6:

G'day Vince

Been away for a period of time with some personal problems. I'm slowly getting back to read the logs that I've missed.

You're going great guns and the canons are excellent. As Pete said. It's a very fiddly and time consuming part. Well done on a great job!

You are correct when you said Pete was a guru! I don't think any model shipwrite wouldn't use his guide to help them, when it comes to the more intricate model such as the RW.

I for one, I'm glad to have him with us, when I need his advice and encouragement. Thank you Pete.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Geez Greg, you make me blush but thanks for the compliment. This is work that I totally enjoy.. Collaboration between the various Royal William builders and myself enables me to create something useful for others to follow. However, this is not my main work as I am frenetically busy writing a book on background resources for model ship building.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

... and like others with their Royal William builds, an amazing amount of detail. Well done Vince.

Pete

And that's coming from an expert.

A truly high praise indeed and you deserve it mate.

havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

The gangways between the quarterdeck and forecastle along with the ladders and stairs are completed.

Next up is the maindeck anchor bits and quarterdeck breast rail. The breast rail will be a challenge with all of the curved railings. The railings could be made with a more squared off look and would still be fine, but I am going to attempt to include the decorative curves.  :o

post-579-0-88111100-1482541009_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-03244400-1482541011_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-37786400-1482541012_thumb.jpg

G'day Vince

Again bloody marvelous mate. Love the brass stanchions! And your eye for details like the capping around the bottom of the post that hold up the gangways.

This is the difference between a a good build to a great build. Yours is of course the latter!

Merry Christmas to you and your family and to all my friends on MSW.

Greg

Thanks Greg for the compliments.

G'day Vince

Again bloody marvelous mate. Love the brass stanchions! And your eye for details like the capping around the bottom of the post that hold up the gangways.

This is the difference between a a good build to a great build. Yours is of course the latter!

Merry Christmas to you and your family and to all my friends on MSW.

Greg

Marry Christmas and happy holidays to you and yours.

Vince

Incredible Vince, just beautiful. Looking forward to seeing how you handle the anchor bits and breast rail :)

Hi Vince - mighty fine work! That quarter deck breast rail is a bear to build - luckily,my old plank bender works very well. I built mine using Pete`s info,although the plans show a more simplified version - a single rail rather than a double rail.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Finished the quarterdeck breast rail. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but considerable amount of work if you want to put the decorative curves and bends like I chose to do. I think it came out nice. 

I tried to take photos at each stage of the construction. The overall railing had to be constructed in layers. For the rounded corners of the top rails, I used some plywood and cut the round corners by hand. For the bends at the ends I used 4mm x 1mm walnut and laminated 2 strips for a thickness of 2mm. It made bending easier. The straight sections were 4mm x 2mm strips, and the little posts were 3 x 3mm.

I am not sure what comes next, but it will be on the quarterdeck somewhere.

post-579-0-71582300-1483317075_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-34826700-1483317077_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-18091800-1483317078_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-05203700-1483317079_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-87191900-1483317079_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-39680500-1483317081_thumb.jpg

Lovely work, Vince.   That breast rail is perfect.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Vince

Ditto from me as well. Again your eyes for details makes this model stands out to be one of the best.

Congratulations

Greg

Vince, she looks excellent. Wait to see the final. A Happy new year, and wait for new pictures

All the best, Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

• 3 weeks later...

The quarter and forecastle deck guns have been assembled. These guns are smaller than the main deck guns and even more difficult to work on if you want to add all of the detail. Since these guns would sit out in the weather all of the time on a real ship, they would look pretty dirty and tarnished. When I blackened them I tried to get a weathered and worn look on the barrels. I think they came out pretty nice and will look authentic out on the decks. Next up is to place and rig them.

post-579-0-51274400-1485303292_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-84938700-1485303293_thumb.jpg

Vince - a very sensible comment about the weathering of those barrels. The guns look well finished and good luck with their rigging. It's amazing how often builders side-step this important feature and just install them 'rig-less' (if there is such a word).

Pete

G'day Vince

I can echo Pete's sentiments. The guns looks well weathered and with the pullies etc, it will be great.

The word 'rig-less' is a word now and it's says the true meaning.

Havagooday all

Greg