A little earlier than promised.I thought it would be helpful to others to post a list of contents as I have all four of Keith's books.

The Period ship Handbook  ISBN 1-85486-081-X

Royal William-Euromodels

Will Everard-Billings

Faroes Yawl FD 10-Billings

Hannah-A.Latina

La Toulonnaise-A.Latina

Berlin-Corel

San Juan Nepomuceno-A Latina

USS Constellation-A Latina

Charles w Morgan-A Latina

Square sterned whaleboat-Panart

New Bedford whaleboat-Amati

The Period ship Handbook 2 ISBN 1-85486-132-8

Royal yacht Caroline-Panart

La Renommee-Euromodels

Armed Pinnace-Panart

15th cent Portugese Caravel-Artenaval

Sir Winston Churchill-Billings

Lancha Bombardiera 1798-Artenaval

Holly rowing boat-Kish model boats

Le Hussard-A Latina

Yacht Britannia-Mamoli

A frontiersman's canoe-The Frontier trading company of South Africa

The Period ship Handbook 3 ISBN 1-85486-200-6

Bellona-Corel

HMS Unicorn-Corel

Portsmouth-Mamoli

See ewer Elbe-Constructo

San Felipe-Panart

Bounty's jolly boat-A Latina

Hms Victory cross section-Corel

Pride of Baltimore II-Model Shipways

Bounty-Amati

The American whaling brig Viola-scratchbuild

The New Period Ship Handbook  ISBN 1-85486-233-2

HMS Victory-Caldercraft

Lady Nelson-Victory models

HMS Mars-Caldercraft

Endeavour J class 1934-Amati

Bounty-Amati

HMS Agamemnon-Caldercraft

English Carronade-Mantua

Endeavour-Caldercraft

HMS Victory launch-Panart

In addition,each book contains a section illustrating building techniques

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

AND AFFORDABLE AS WELL

mARC

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 1 year later...

How helpful are these books?  In particular, I'm wondering about the chapter on the Corel Unicorn in Volume 3.  I plan on modifying the kit to create the HMS Lyme, a sister ship of the Unicorn, so I'm wondering how much detail is included in the volume.  As a number of us building the Unicorn kit have noticed, there are a lot of inaccuracies in the kit.

Thanks!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

very informative books, but the black B&W photos could be better,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I have at least one of Keiths books but I haven't found anything very detailed about planking specially with the kit supplied material. I can't seem to get straight planks to lie flat on the hull in the bow area. I see a few guys on the forum have done a pretty good job of getting them smooth and orderly looking but not quite the way a real ship would be planked. I even built a bending jig as is illustrated in his book but one still gets the stair stepping effect with straight planks. The only cure I have found is spiling and I'm not sure I'm doing it right and Its very time consuming. 

BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Billl there is a very good planking tutorial on this site, http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat